Sunset @ Pulau Ubin on 29th March 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2014
Inspired by the Sunrise gathering organised by shiosaki, I will attempt to organise a simple outing for photoshoot at Pulau Ubin

When?
Will be on Saturday this month of March, 29th at Pulau Ubin. We will meet directly at Changi Ferry Point Terminal. Time I will confirm nearer to date after taking into account sunrise timings and moving to the location.

I will start with a small group of 5 people.

We can go for late dinner at Changi Point upon arrival back at the Ferry Terminal for some feedback and discussions. I am an enthusiastic amateur and not a full time professional photographer so what I may offer may not be entirely perfect but I'll definitely be able to help many budding photographers and beginners. We can always offer advices to one another and learn from each other :)

What will be covered:
1. How to frame your shots
2. What settings to use
3. How to improve your photographs

Things you need:
Tripod (very important especially to DSLR users)
Camera (I will help to my best ability regardless of what camera you use)
GND filter (enhance your photos)
ND filter (enhance your photos)
Colour Filters (enhance your photos)
Circular Polarizing Filters (enhance your photos)

If you are interested, please reply below with your name and contact number.

These are some shots taken near Changi Ferry Point Terminal and may/may not be representatives of what you may actually capture on that day, but just some similar or potential pictures:

Hi,

I'm interested to join. Please confirm me. :)

I'm in ! Do count me in.

am also interested to join

Hi guys! Thanks for the interest! Do pm me your name and contact number and I'll send you a more detailed itineary and what we are going on that day! Tentatively should be 4-8.30pm to capture day view, sunset and night view of pulau ubin :)

Slightly offtopic: Would love to do a sunrise shoot on Ubin sometime soon. Maybe we can work out something in the near future in terms of logistics.

Thanks for organising this shoot, Dave. It has come a little too soon for me. Would love to join you next time. :)

Sure! Maybe you can pm me your number and we can work out plans for future trips!

Please note that Pulau Ubin is known to be good for sunrise... not sunset.

Please note that Pulau Ubin is known to be good for sunrise... not sunset.

Noted. But there's beauty in it's sunset too.
Furthermore sunrise timing would be inconvenient to travel there
as earliest bumboat starts from 8.30am for you knowledge.
I do not think camping there is of any logical possibility either.
I refer to CS's thread on sunset at Pulau Ubin http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178636

I refer to CS's thread on sunset at Pulau Ubin http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178636

Would like to restate that I do appreciate daredevil's advice and that I mean no offence (just in case I sounded offensive in my answer above)
Would also like to quote my answer to PMs for me to organise overnight at Pulau Ubin here:
"Yo bro! Haha that's damn cool but I'm the organiser so I would think that's quite dangerous and I kinda need be responsible for all the participants well-being and I cannot assure of everyone's safety should we take it to overnight situation.. haha but maybe when we're more familiar with each other than can go out as friends I wouldn't mind! But this case I'm organiser so different.. hope you understand!"

When there is will, there is a way. Sunrises at Pulau Ubin I shot a couple of years back.

And No, I did not stay overnight there... Neither did I swim.

6782186408_b6733b6692.jpg

6822494344_e804a7e32d_c.jpg

Last edited:
BTW, whether a location is good for sunrise or sunset, has a lot to do with the scenes available to you at those times. Pulau Ubin is very good for sunrise at mid to low tide as the sun rises over the beach near the jetty. For sunset, locations on this island is very very limited. And do also check the tides as well for the date you selected. This is part of landscape photography. Not advisable to go there without due research on what or where to shoot on the island.

After you figure out all these, if you need bumboat transportation early or late before/beyond "official" hours, let me know so I can tell you how to secure the boats.

Last edited:
BTW, whether a location is good for sunrise or sunset, has a lot to do with the scenes available to you at those times. Pulau Ubin is very good for sunrise at mid to low tide as the sun rises over the beach near the jetty. For sunset, locations on this island is very very limited. And do also check the tides as well for the date you selected. This is part of landscape photography. Not advisable to go there without due research on what or where to shoot on the island.

After you figure out all these, if you need bumboat transportation early or late before/beyond "official" hours, let me know so I can tell you how to secure the boats.

Hmm wow that's really great advice and plans you have! I'll definitely do a recee myself before I bring them over, that's why timing I have not confirmed yet :) but yeah, maybe this time I'll stick to sunset first then when resources and information is more readily available, I'll try to organise a sunrise one :) thnks alot in advance!

Also note that the beaches and swamps of Ubin are infested with sand flies. So remember to bring insect repellent (must have Deet in the ingredients). My first time there I got more than 30 bites and the itch lasted for 2 weeks. with some scars staying more than 1 year. Needed some major prescription medication to keep the itch down, and left with some permanent scars too.

Last edited:
Oh my, okay will inform all participants! But most likely we going up Bukit Pukua Hill so should be slightly better except for the dense undergrowth and mozzies

Oh my, okay will inform all participants! But most likely we going up Bukit Pukua Hill so should be slightly better except for the dense undergrowth and mozzies

Puaka Hill when you go up to the top, you will see the lake. You can only see the deep blue color with the sun high up in the sky. You will get a good contrast with a blue sky and the green forest below. However at Sunset, the angle is not quite right, and you will lose the color of the water in the lake, and the effect of the lake as the foreground will be severely limited due to the elevation of view.

BTW, there is no dense undergrowth. It is a well beaten trail up the hill. Enter trail via the village. Becareful up there. There no railings and the trail is unmarked.

Be sure to bring torches for the climb back down. Make sure to check with the boat uncles what time is the last boat and make sure you get back to the jetty in time. Or you can make arrangements with the uncle if you know you are going to be late.
Can consider having dinner there, the zichar there is simply fantastic.

Last edited:
When there is will, there is a way. Sunrises at Pulau Ubin I shot a couple of years back.

And No, I did not stay overnight there... Neither did I swim.

6782186408_b6733b6692.jpg

6822494344_e804a7e32d_c.jpg

I'm interested to join. Any slot for 1 person?

Puaka Hill when you go up to the top, you will see the lake. You can only see the deep blue color with the sun high up in the sky. You will get a good contrast with a blue sky and the green forest below. However at Sunset, the angle is not quite right, and you will lose the color of the water in the lake, and the effect of the lake as the foreground will be severely limited due to the elevation of view.

BTW, there is no dense undergrowth. It is a well beaten trail up the hill. Enter trail via the village. Becareful up there. There no railings and the trail is unmarked.

Be sure to bring torches for the climb back down. Make sure to check with the boat uncles what time is the last boat and make sure you get back to the jetty in time. Or you can make arrangements with the uncle if you know you are going to be late.
Can consider having dinner there, the zichar there is simply fantastic.

daredevil are you referring to this? i went there last round didn't know if this is the puaka hill?$1397088_10201995834713213_1436851701_o.jpg
and those sunrise/sunset shots are simply brilliant. just need ask for chek jawa are we able to jump down into the swamp part? the 2nd picture is taken in similiar location?

Status
Not open for further replies.