Sunset over the Apostles Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Kid In Town

Dec 19, 2003
singapore
Visit site
Hi,
was trying to capture a sunset scene at the 12 apostles along the great ocean road in Melbourne, but ended up with cloudy overcast skies with slight Mist, but produced a lovely blue cast on the surrounding. was trying to capture the kind of serenity or rather " Thea calmness before the storm" looks in this photo. thus it would be greatly appreciated if i could get suggestions on how to further improve on this photo in terms of exposure(brightness level) / composition(cropping) and maybe a little of anything else that could be done to improve it?
crictiques are much appreciated.

3408724527_686acab049_b.jpg

thanks and regards

Last edited:
Bump.... or is there some setting I forgot to cover which prevents others from replying to this thread? pardon me.. this is the first time I posted on the critique thread..

PP as in photoshop? nothing have been done other den resizing. and slightly brightening up the Raw file. and adding the border. photo was taken with a 2 stop Lee ND grad in place. oh also the direction of sunset is around 90 to 100 degrees to the right of the photo.

Last edited:
seems a tad too blue for me....
btw wat shutter speed did u use

Great work. So much so that it looks professionally photoshopped in order to capture/create a surealistic atmosphere. Bottom line is that this is a slick image regardless of how it was achieved.

If you cropped off enough of the top margin to place the horizon closer to the upper 1/3 horizontal, it would better conform to the '1/3 rule of composition' that most amaturish critiquers pounce upon when the 1/3 rule isn't perfectly aplied. IMHO, the said crop wouldn't necessarily make it a more beautiful image--just different.

You did good.:cool:
Cheers

i don't know much about PP, but i would have loved to see a little bit more of the sea and a little less of those yellow flowers in the left foreground, i find that their colour and mood don't "click" with the picture.

shutter speed used was 1.5S with a 3 stop ND grad all the way down to be used as a normal ND filter (no money for ND) and a 2 stop nd grad for the sky. hmm.. thanks guys would try to make one with less sky , less blue and less flower later this eveing.

yea, i do agree, this photo looks very photoshopped. hahaha, then again, i have no doubt that a camera can take such pictures because in the olden days there is nothing call digital darkroom.

anyhow, the picture is a little too blue, i think you should brighten the yellow on the flowers to make it much livelier.. because the dark yellow makes it look a little dead, apply that to the grass there too, and of course try to bring life in the water and sky by changing their saturation..

this is just something of what i think might help to bring the life in the photo... over all its a good job!!!

I like the photo! Maybe just tweak the "warmth" a little...

apostle.jpg

i think it is very fake looking.. but since no PS was done, i'll now label it as dreamy looking haha..
pretty picture nonetheless, but i thought the redness of the hills don't go with the greens there..

hmm i actually think it looks washed out, like one of those posters u hang on the wall for 20-30 years the colour fade out that kind. however i think composition-wise it's great, so I would actually try converting this to a black and white picture instead ;) mite have that effect u know...

ohh!! i have a black and white version.. but its a different photo. different composition.
3422168208_ccdc4ff758_b.jpg

Last edited:
i do not think the scene is very fake looking, actually, the only problem lies with the presence of the mist, it is not in sufficient amounts to lend a dreamy mood..

and it is visible. so what happens is the rocks look washed out, and the end result is somehow like someone has gone over the midtones very badly.

the black and white version posted later is not to my taste, the toning and range are quite badly executed.

Hi TS

My humble opinion: I think the composition is the weak point, so it doesnt help whether its in color or b&w.

The patch of flora on the bottom left really does nothing. Perhaps if you'd shifted to the left, got down low and let it fill the bottom as a foreground interest?

ohh about the goind down and shooting from a lower angle. i did try.. but unfortunately, the limitation is as seen. tried to climb out beyond the barrier but space is too thight to even put the tripod safely without anything falling off the cliff. this was after the sun fully set... the blue got even more intense..
3408703063_df663bdef2.jpg

Last edited:
The BW pic is more moody, and I actually prefer it. What I would have done is use ND filter and smaller aperture to have a longer shutter speed, to make the sea more "smooth".

Status
Not open for further replies.