Sunset over Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hooky3659

Mar 11, 2009
Singapore
s

The skies was finally abit better on saturday so I went to around the bugis area to shoot. Around 6pm i noticed the skies over city area had an orange tint so i decided to make my way over to Pinnacle@Duxton. Was lucky that day as the sunset was better than average and the high vantage point offered rarely seen views of singapore unless you work in one of the CBD's skyscrapers. Must have been my lucky day as the strong winds that people have encounted at the top was reduced to a gentle breeze, making long exposures more managable. Shot was taken with a canon 50mm1.4 @ iso400, f11, 1/3s, with a gold and blue polarizer.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I am currently experimenting with new PP workflows and would I to know how well I did with this image with respect to colour reproduction and realism. All other critiques are also welcomed.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wanted to capture the sunset and show a little bit of the foreground elements without having them underexposed as a silhouette.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This photo was taken at the Pinnacle@Duxton 50th storey skybridge at around 7:18pm.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally I was surprised by this result but I am unsure how others perceive this photo as the colours are on the wild side. Would like to know if I overdone it this time.

these colors are way too wild.

magneta/purple sky is acceptable sometimes, but here it is taken OVER THE TOP.

to add on to that, the buildings in your photo are thrown in an unearthly magenta light. it looks gaudy, in short.

it is a nice sky, but you might want to find something in the bottom that works better as a composition. right now it is just a pretty sky that is overprocessed, with some buildings thrown around haphazardly without any thought.

"Around 6pm i noticed the skies over city area had an orange tint so i decided to make my way over to Pinnacle@Duxton."

"I am currently experimenting with new PP workflows and would I to know how well I did with this image with respect to colour reproduction and realism."

With respect to colour reproduction and realism, I think there's no way that colour is realistic. I understand you're using filters so the sky itself wont be faithful to the original, but your photo seems over-saturated.

The big cloud on the right is cut off in half ? Kind of distracting.

Personally, would do away with the blue polarizer, might have been a more realistic sunset. People tend to associate sunsets with certain colours. But I must say it's a good location, maybe you could have done a panorama? Just 3 stitched together.

Good effort mate. :thumbsup:

like earlier comments - you found a sweet spot to capture the view but OTT on the PP. crimson sunset is more realistic.

s

The skies was finally abit better on saturday so I went to around the bugis area to shoot. Around 6pm i noticed the skies over city area had an orange tint so i decided to make my way over to Pinnacle@Duxton. Was lucky that day as the sunset was better than average and the high vantage point offered rarely seen views of singapore unless you work in one of the CBD's skyscrapers. Must have been my lucky day as the strong winds that people have encounted at the top was reduced to a gentle breeze, making long exposures more managable. Shot was taken with a canon 50mm1.4 @ iso400, f11, 1/3s, with a gold and blue polarizer.

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
I am currently experimenting with new PP workflows and would I to know how well I did with this image with respect to colour reproduction and realism. All other critiques are also welcomed.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wanted to capture the sunset and show a little bit of the foreground elements without having them underexposed as a silhouette.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This photo was taken at the Pinnacle@Duxton 50th storey skybridge at around 7:18pm.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally I was surprised by this result but I am unsure how others perceive this photo as the colours are on the wild side. Would like to know if I overdone it this time.

my cc.

1. colors are flying around like crazy. too saturated and not balanced very well.
try to blend some exposures when it comes to sunsets and sky shots. a bit of an HDR tweak will push the edge of your sunset photo.

2. the foreground elements a washed its like there is mist wrapping the scene.
i am not sure if there really mist or fog.. but if you want the eyes to pay a bit of attention the the foreground... then put the details back and make them sharp.

3. Emotions are better viewed in BW. i beleive you want to show the feeling and express to the viewer what you have felt when you are taking this photo... maybe the cool air brushing against your cheek and the light feeling while you are waiting for the light to fade. these are the emotions we want to express when taking scenic views with emotions.

4. lastly is to know how to stop and leave some crumbs. if you will PP an image make sure you take down first what you want to achieve.. because in PS you can retouch and retouch and retouch and never finish. always compare your before and after to see how far you've gone and if you are improving the image and not over processing it and always leave some crumbs. dont make it too perfect. the eye is looking for something that is not perfect to make sure that the level is still acceptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.