Sunset @ Kent Ridge To complete a Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

chngpe01

Staff member
A weekend is not completed with just a sunrise shot ( http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=76896 ). Went with my wife to Kent Ridge this time, to enjoy the sunset. Was trying my wife's new Nikon CP 8700 with the Nikon Wide Angle attachment, at the same time coaching her.

Half an hour before Sunset 6.35pm. Nothing spectacular.
29533904.jpg

Half an hour later @ 7.05.pm, the setting sun.
29533905.jpg

Within the next 2 minutes the Sky just kept changing in a fantastic display of hue and colors.
29533906.jpg

The final picture before the camera ran out of battery :( .. .. after this the next 1/2 minute was even more spectacular, a sight which was etched only in our memory. :)
29533907.jpg

Cheers

woo love the 2nd pic... this cam already has a wideangle lens rite ?

simply breathtaking! :)
guess great sunsets can really be found here in sg huh?
usually obstruct by our skyscrapers sigh.. must go to ulu places then can see...

Papilio said:
Great colours, Peng Eik! :thumbsup:

How wide is that WA attachment in 35mm equivalent?

Thanks SK, the WA convertor is 0.8x hence on 35mm which is the widest for this cam, will work out to be 28mm.

Thanks ziedrich.

Thanks Jer76, the widest for this cam is only 35mm. In my opinion is still not so good for landscape and scenery. Hence need WA attachment.

Thanks furrypaws, Kent Ridge Park is a good place for sunset, apart from Labador Park.

Cheers

Good capture Peng Eik! :thumbsup:
The problem with Kent Ridge is those cranes and stuff that spoils a nice landscape sunset shot somewhat. Of course, you've intelligently thrown the foreground into silhoette, and getting a richer sunset (and those streetlamps become nice little dots too) :)
Still can crop alittle off the bottom though... IMHO of course.

regards
..NuTs..

real pretty colors. great job~

i like the last one best.

Thanks Wu, you are right in all aspect. To share with you my thoughts then, initally I actually was put off not only by the cranes but also the amount of smoke coming out of the chimneys there (see pic 1, the dark orange area at the horizon). However, we decided to stay and see how to make the best out of the situation, we were certainly not disappointed. As to the cropping I agree with your suggestion, thanks for that feedback.

pinkx, thanks

Beautiful sunset series. May I know how to get there? Is it near NUS?

Falcon said:
Beautiful sunset series. May I know how to get there? Is it near NUS?

yep, it's within walking distance from NUS. if you're near the NUH area, the easiest (tho' not the shortest) way is to walk towards south buona vista road and take bus 200 from outside PSB science park building. stop at the 3rd or 4th stop, and walk up the steep slope of vigilante drive (won't miss it in daytime... on the left side of the road you'll see a tank guarding the base of a very steep road)

if you're around the arts side of NUS, get to the bus interchange near fong seng and take bus 200 also.

there's also an entrance from pasir panjang road, called pepys road if i'm not mistaken.

not the best of maps, but hope this helps.

http://www.streetdirectory.com.sg/m...le=&heading=PUBLIC+AMENITIES:+KENT+RIDGE+PARK

chgpe01,

i've been to kent ridge park often, but never saw such beautiful sunsets!

btw, have you tried going to west coast park? cos i noticed you mentioned kent ridge and labrador, but not west coast.

Thanks Falcon.

Thanks tjana, I have not been to West Coast Park in the evening. How's the view there of the sunset? Thanks for pointing this place, I will probably check it out this weekend or Vesak Day.

Cheers

tjana said:
yep, it's within walking distance from NUS. if you're near the NUH area, the easiest (tho' not the shortest) way is to walk towards south buona vista road and take bus 200 from outside PSB science park building. stop at the 3rd or 4th stop, and walk up the steep slope of vigilante drive (won't miss it in daytime... on the left side of the road you'll see a tank guarding the base of a very steep road)

if you're around the arts side of NUS, get to the bus interchange near fong seng and take bus 200 also.

there's also an entrance from pasir panjang road, called pepys road if i'm not mistaken.

not the best of maps, but hope this helps.

http://www.streetdirectory.com.sg/m...le=&heading=PUBLIC+AMENITIES:+KENT+RIDGE+PARK

Thanks for the info. I am at SOC/Science side.

Come to think of it, I might have been there myself as an excursion for one of my cross-fac bio modules. I rem going for a Kent Ridge walk near S-something blk in NUS. :)

I think shot #2 is just fantastic. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: The colours are simply breathtaking. Inspiring me to actually go down one of these days to have a look.... I reckon it would make a fantastic wallpaper for PC. Very nicely done!!

The location is right at the top of Kent Ridge Park where facing Pasir Panjang that side right? It's quite nice at night also, lots of lights.

chngpe01 said:
I have not been to West Coast Park in the evening. How's the view there of the sunset? Thanks for pointing this place, I will probably check it out this weekend or Vesak Day.

Cheers

me and my big mouth. now that you mentioned it, i really can't remember where exactly the sun sets in west coast park :sweat:

in general though, the skyline is kinda crowded with ships and whatnot... not exactly the bestplace to get natural looking sunsets. but on the human interest side it's not bad, good number of people around (but not too crowded), got bbq tables, wooden sampans, pine groves and scrawny coconut trees, and a small jetty. it also has what is probably the biggest free playground in singapore.

the weathergods willing, i'll go take some pics there tomorrow evening...

tjana said:
me and my big mouth. now that you mentioned it, i really can't remember where exactly the sun sets in west coast park :sweat:

in general though, the skyline is kinda crowded with ships and whatnot... not exactly the bestplace to get natural looking sunsets. but on the human interest side it's not bad, good number of people around (but not too crowded), got bbq tables, wooden sampans, pine groves and scrawny coconut trees, and a small jetty. it also has what is probably the biggest free playground in singapore.

the weathergods willing, i'll go take some pics there tomorrow evening...

No worries, sometimes a sunset shot with humans or some other subjects like boats etc. gives the pics more life.

Once again thanks and hope you get some great shots too. :)

These 2 are west coast sunset shots taken 2 years ago when i started photography with a A40.
aag.jpg
aaf.jpg

Great shots, Peng Eik, love the colours. :thumbsup: Shot no. 2 is my fave. Will try out that place sometime soon. Amazing how much the sky changes when the sun is setting. And it happens very quickly too, all within the space of about half an hour. I came across an interesting quote from someone saying that no two sunrise/sunsets are ever alike. Quite true...

Thanks for sharing!

Status
Not open for further replies.