Sunset in Punggol (uhuh..its another sunset photo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lookout

Jan 12, 2009
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
angle or composition of whole picture. right spot? right timing?

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
a newbie at sunsets and also hdr, therefore hope to improve on all aspects with respect to sunset and hdr

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
picture was taken during my first outing to take sunsets with a buddy of mine, the sunset wasn't that fantastic as we thought it would be. At the same time, was feeling kinda emo.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
personally, i did an adjustment on the horizon as it was slightly tilted and other than that, i think the picture is pretty ok and it was taken in RAW.

here we go...

4184284984_eb3faf2bc8_b.jpg

The rocks seem greenish. I was there yesterday and I don't recall any green shade of rocks though the place that I was could be different from where you were. There could also be problems with my monitor.

The HDR that you have done, seems unnatural. The light is coming from the back, but the rocks do not seem to have any shadows. (this is how I view it, though there can be other explanations for the lack of shadows.)

Composition wise, I have no qualms at all. I am a photographer who believes in balance in a photograph (it may be good or bad, depends), the rocks in this case adds weight to the bottom of the image, give a very "stable" looking image. However, the photo lacks the visual impact, due to the lack of an outstanding subject. Your image focused strongly on the rocks, but there are many rocks there, so my attention is divided.

Sunset photos "usually" have vibrant colours that stand out. You may wish to consider increasing saturation, or to shoot at a later timing, that would yield colours in the blue, purple segment.

Overall, not a bad attempt for a first time.

I think the main issue with this photo is composition.
im looking at the rocks more than the sunset. and rocks looks greenish and not nice.

heres what i did.
4184284984_eb3faf2bc8_b.jpg
tell me if u want it taken down.
cheers

Lens Fidelity
I get what you mean about the rocks grabbing more attention and the hdr being unnatural. thanks for the valuable comments.

wildsoyabean
somehow i think what you did with the pic seems abit more appealing and yeah, have to agree that the rocks do look a bit yucky green. thanks for the comments and i dont mind keeping the pic for comparison. cheers!

Here are my comments :

1. Too balanced. The horizon is in too near the middle. Compose with a rule of thirds. Move the horizon to the upper third.
2. I get a feeling that its a 'I went, saw a nice scene, stood where I was and snapped' type of picture. Go lower and get closer. The sandy portion of the shore plays no role in the picture. In fact its distracting. Move in towards the rocks so that they appear to lead the eye into the picture.
3. Odd colors (greenish rock and purple shadows). I suspect you could have done with a GND and no HDR. For HDR, you might want to check if your highlights layer is giving the odd colors.

This is my version...
1ef51ed5.jpg

I find that wildsoyabean's portrait crop is a little wasteful for the nice sky.

Do let me know if you prefer me to take it down.

wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

over the top.

you might want to think about these points:
1) cyan/green cast for rocks at the bottom
2) tilted horizon (yes, still tilted)
3) magneta rocks on the left in the distance
4) magenta treeline in the distance below the sun

in short, i would redo the tonemapping for this one.

wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

over the top.

you might want to think about these points:
1) cyan/green cast for rocks at the bottom
2) tilted horizon (yes, still tilted)
3) magneta rocks on the left in the distance
4) magenta treeline in the distance below the sun

in short, i would redo the tonemapping for this one.

Hi, agreed with point 1, 3 and 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.