Sunset in B&W

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlahBlahX

Jan 6, 2010
Hi, this is my first time posting here. Hope to get some comments. Thanks!

ccbb8db5.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition and techniques. I pp-ed the photo into b&w cause the colour version didnt turn out as i expected due to the bland colour and high iso used. I would like to get some opinions if this is generally acceptable.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I wanted to portray a feeling of sadness and loneliness in this photo. However, it was actually a grandmother with her granddaughter so it turned out pretty surreal in my opinion.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I went for a short one day kelong trip and this was right after the sun set. It was quite a random shot as the subjects didnt exactly know i was taking their photos, even though i know them haha.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I feel that maybe the sky was abit too bright looking due to my pp or my overexposure or i could have turned the figures into silhouettes by underexposing and eliminating the details. Not really sure what to do so I would love to listen to some opinions from you guys.

Thanks for your comments once again!

sorry, but i can't find the sun..

sorry, but i can't find the sun..

Yes, there's no sun. In my opinion, it will be great if u can get a wider lens to take this shot so as to make the subject( grandmom and child) smaller and fill in more of the landscape, this could add in a sense of loneliness in your photograph.

Yes, there's no sun. In my opinion, it will be great if u can get a wider lens to take this shot so as to make the subject( grandmom and child) smaller and fill in more of the landscape, this could add in a sense of loneliness in your photograph.

haha okay that's true, should have named it as "after sun set" instead. Hmm okay thanks for the suggestion, will try it out next time!

ccbb8db5.jpg

The adult head has merged with something at the sea becoming to look like an ape head? or did the head tilted to look like one?

Last edited:
The adult head has merged with something at the sea becoming to look like an ape head? or did the head tilted to look like one?

She was looking to the left if im not wrong

IMHO, usually sunset photo is best seen in color to reflect its sunset color - orange.

IMHO, usually sunset photo is best seen in color to reflect its sunset color - orange.

d87e8eb8.jpg

This was actually the original photo but i didnt really like the colour of the foreground. Would it have been better if i kept the background and tried to photoshop the foreground into b&w? Or is there a better way to improve the composition? Thanks!

I prefer the colour one. Why? Because of the orangey light as a result of the sunset.

My main critique would be that the horizon is too close to the vertical centre of the composition. Going back to the rule of thirds, crop the photo perhaps to make the horizon sit nearer to those lines?

Secondly, if you choose keep the B&W conversion, the photo needs some more contrast between sky, clouds, the see and the people in the foreground. Usually, I would go nuts on the exposure slider and increase blacks and contrast, apply a vertical gradient filter (increase clarity for clouds).

For the colour, I'd crop the top part of the sky and leave it so that the light from the setting sun is the featur of the top third of the composition. Then I'd increase blacks to make the couple a silouette.

Once again those are just my views.

Technically, the last light before night, after the sunset, is called dusk. It would be nicer if more of the right side is seen. A pity the light isn't dramatic enough.

I think a little more seperation would work wonders ...... use a different perspective to try and achieve it.....i.e. the heads seem to be lost in the sea whilst it seems better suited if juxtaposed against the sky

not really too hot seeing how the horizon slices off a good part of the fella's head

Thanks for all your comments. Shall keep them in consideration the next time i try to compose a photo!

ccbb8db5.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?

Composition and techniques. I pp-ed the photo into b&w cause the colour version didnt turn out as i expected due to the bland colour and high iso used. I would like to get some opinions if this is generally acceptable.

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?

I wanted to portray a feeling of sadness and loneliness in this photo. However, it was actually a grandmother with her granddaughter so it turned out pretty surreal in my opinion.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)

I went for a short one day kelong trip and this was right after the sun set. It was quite a random shot as the subjects didnt exactly know i was taking their photos, even though i know them haha.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture

I feel that maybe the sky was abit too bright looking due to my pp or my overexposure or i could have turned the figures into silhouettes by underexposing and eliminating the details. Not really sure what to do so I would love to listen to some opinions from you guys.

Thanks for your comments once again!

Have you tried cropping away one-third from the top and right?

Have you tried cropping away one-third from the top and right?
3605da3a.jpg

I've tried to crop it tighter and bumped up the contrast. However, i think the tighter crop has made it lose it's feel=/

How do you guys think? Any comments? Thanks

d87e8eb8.jpg

how about this? the sunset colors are too precious to forgo..imo :)

minor crop, multiply, gradient tools, remove noise, usm.

I agree with comments abut the colours during sunset. They are so beautiful and imho should be included. Love sunsets :)

i was just gonna suggest using the color image and PP'ing it to improve the colors - coz sunset pics should definitely not be in B/W, imo, to show the colors - and elevan has done just that, i think it looks much better now :) i personally feel the crop isnt necessary

too much black, too messy.

that is the problem with the image, not what colors, etc. the silhouettes are simply non-distinct. when silhouettes are non-distinct they are just a garbage pile of shadows - formless, and therefore useless in conveying any idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.