Sunset/Haze question

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoxknocks

Sep 19, 2004
lalaland
www.tinydotphotography.com
I snapped these off Labrador Park. Got 2 questions:

1. How do I deal with the haze to get a sharper image? I've tried CPL filters, but doesn't seem to help.

IMG_4043.jpg

I did some contrast adjustment and now there's a big halo around the sun. Is this normal?

IMG_4042.jpg

Settings used: f/2.8, 1/1000, ISO200

Thanks in advance!

karwing said:
abstract from the following URL:

http://photos.msn.com/Editorial/Article.aspx?aid=HowToGetTheMostFromYourGear&section=NEWS_AND_GEAR

"...long focal lengths compress atmospheric haze: the dust, pollutants, and moisture particles in the air. The longer the lens, the less sharp and contrasty your images will be."

hope it helps.

wow, this is new to me (about longer FLs compressing atmospheric haze). Interesting article. Thanks!

knoxknocks said:
Is the haze filter the same as a UV filter?

haze should be skylight filter. it looks very slightly pinkish.

knoxknocks said:
hahaha....that's the #1 wish isn't it.

Someday when strike 4D, and when there's a 70-200 f1.8 or better yet f1.4 :D
Oooppsss.... Said wrongly... I meant use a smaller aperture to get that star burst effect...

You could take that shot and use levels layer and shift the grey slider around to get rid of the haze? :think: Dunno if that might work... :)

nickmak said:
Oooppsss.... Said wrongly... I meant use a smaller aperture to get that star burst effect...

You could take that shot and use levels layer and shift the grey slider around to get rid of the haze? :think: Dunno if that might work... :)

tried...the effect is roughly the same as adjusting curves or contrast.

anyway, difficult to rescue a lousy shot :cry: . Next time try again for another sunset...hopefully got less haze and I'll use a smaller aperture and longer exposure. THANKS!

acrylonithrill said:
HEY MAN! This is Singapore's Natural Halo Filter ok... Appreciate it... Its made in Singapore... No angmohs can do this in their own hometown... Uniquely Singapore :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.