Sunset behind Temasek Polytechnic - 3 Dec 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

mimik07

Oct 13, 2009
East
4154819493_6468488191_b.jpg

Shot it with my Canon 500D 18-55mm kit lens. Set-up: 1/60; f/11; ISO100

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
I would like to seek feedback and comments on the colour, exposure and composition of this shot.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
My first attempt shooting a sunset. Just came home from work and was trying to protray a "Peaceful end to a hectic day at work" mood.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Taken from the 12th floor of the block facing Temasek Polytechnic.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Considering that this is my first attempt shooting a sunset, I am reasonably satisfied with the way the picture turned out. But having said that, I would like to know how I can improve further so that I can shoot better sunsets going forward :)

Thanks in advance for your C&Cs :)

Sunsets and Sunrises are always a good time because the light in the sky is just fantastic.

Having said that, I would probably underexpose slightly so that the buildings are darker, as they contribute not much other than the fact that you were in that location. There is no reason to have slight detail in the buildings, because it would be messy and distracting.

I don't think it's a good location to take a sunset, and the colours seem washed out. If you must, try reading up on tobacco filters that would improve the look of the sky, because your top third of the photo has no value. The clouds, or lack of it, weren't helping as well, but this is beyond your control of course.

Thank you faineant.. Noted your pointers :)
Feedbacks & comments anyone else? :)

u should see more sun sets..

picture looks murky..sun set is way too small. not a very good picture. too much space top and bottom too.

IMHO, this sunset isn't particularly ideal to shoot. u might also want to consider trying out a HDR shot since the dynamic range is pretty wide.

Never a landscape shooter but generally, if I were told to shoot one, I would try to find a place where silhouette of buildings are more appealing (Buildings with irregular height, imagine perhaps the CBD?). Else, I would just shoot the sunset itself without silhouette of building. 2 cents. :)

I like it.:thumbsup:

Sky very "soft"

I agree with faineant about the cropping to improve your composition.

However, underexposing the foreground would not have achieved your desired mood of "Peaceful end to a hectic day at work". The most it will be called a "Beautiful sunset".

Without other subjects, it seems very difficult to portray the mood you want. Where is the link to "hectic day at work"? I only see "end day".

My 2 cents worth. :p

Thank you all for your C&Cs! They are all very much appreciated :)

IMHO, this sunset isn't particularly ideal to shoot. u might also want to consider trying out a HDR shot since the dynamic range is pretty wide.

nysheng, what u mean by HDR?:dunno:

High Dynamic Range pictures. A combination of 3 exposure photographs!

I study in TP too. LOLS

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.