Sunset at West Coast Park

EdwinC81

Jul 16, 2010
5602228413_4feab7e2c2.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
The settings, the lighting and the composition of the picture

Taken with D90
ISO 200
S - 1/40s
F22
0EV
Cloudy WB

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Essence of the picture is to capture the sunset, the reflection of the sun in the water, and the tranquility around the port area.

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This picture was taken just before the sun set, environment was relatively calm and windy. Surroundings was quiet.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I will appreciate if someone could comment on the composition as well as the settings used. If there are any improvements that I can do, please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:
my 2cts:

-slanted horizon
-the half cropped boats on the right felt a lil' distracting to me
-i would prefer more sky and less sea but that's just me

:)

my 1ct. for calmness, I personally would go for long exposure. :)
Were you using tripod? if so you may consider ISO 100.
What lens are you using? F22 does not produce the best pic for most lens.
agreed with tecnica. maybe u can try dropping abit of bottom and right. ie. Sea 1/3. sky 2/3 sun middle.

:) just sharing my bit, i am new too.

If you intention is the sunset and the reflection from the sea, it will better to go for vertical, although I prefer the sunset photo to be horizontal. Try to use tripod and go for longer exposure which will smooth out the sea and reflection. Your exposure is under or too dark. Composition as mention by bananah, go for Rule of the Third will help. :)

my 2cents.

What you trying to show in your photography? Is it the awesome clouds, the nice yellow sun or the plain sea? Or is it the reflections on the water?

remember the 1/3,2/3 rule, like what Bananah had mentioned.

Honestly speaking, the composition is way clustered, and in my own words, messy. And i'm wondering whether that's a ship or some structure smack right on the top left corner. And that two tall metal structures that obstructing the sunset, everything just defeats the purpose.

If you want to catch that awesome sunset, you have to move around, take a few pictures here and there of that specific place. Do your homework first before venturing to these places. Take note of where the sunset really sets and find that swee spot for you to that picture perfect moment.

And just to point out. Do use an ND filter for sunsets to enhance the color.

Anyway, the idea is there. :)

Since the waters here are boring, make it take up less space than the more interesting area (the sky). Also take note of the horizon, it's slanted.