Batam, Riau, Indonesia, Indone
1. In what area is critique to be sought
all area of critique is welcome, but what I expect more is on composition
2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work
I would like to play nicely with color and composition
3. Under what circumstances is the picture taken
Taken on 10.30 GMT, using D5100, EV set to -2 (original), iso 100, HDR on
4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Color is little bit overcook on reddish side, maybe if there is something in the middle of the wood would have better impression

docks.jpg

Last edited:
ndaniel said:
1. In what area is critique to be sought
all area of critique is welcome, but what I expect more is on composition
2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work
I would like to play nicely with color and composition
3. Under what circumstances is the picture taken
Taken on 10.30 GMT, using D5100, EV set to -2 (original), iso 100, HDR on
4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Color is little bit overcook on reddish side, maybe if there is something in the middle of the wood would have better impression

No texture, no detail, a lot of black versus a lot of orange. Even if you wanted a bit of symmetry, it shd be such that I am able to see the shadow detail. U need a longer exposure to expose for shadow detail but a shorter exposure to control the exposure of the sea.

U need a longer exposure to expose for shadow detail but a shorter exposure to control the exposure of the sea.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I believe I overdone it, there is another picture taken with EV=0, but the result is too flat, this picture has a little bit detail
when you said longer exposure, are you referring to longer exposure time?

Thanks

good unusual angle to shoot beneath the jetty, however it is too top-heavy with the big a chunk of black at the top of the image. Suggest a tighter crop to frame the subject in a more balanced way, and to correct the slightly tilted horizon. The black works quite well with the orange IMHO, with a good sense of depth to the image due to the leading lines.
7857928668_1a7c89e991_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'm really bothered by the fact that no attempts were made to align the shot properly and balance up the columns within the frame. It does look top heavy and colours are pretty overcooked. Horizon is tilted too.

I'm really bothered by the fact that no attempts were made to align the shot properly and balance up the columns within the frame. It does look top heavy and colours are pretty overcooked. Horizon is tilted too.

Thanks Kit, I need a lot to learn from senior/pro like you all, I failed to noticed that alignment is bad and imbalance as well, thanks to your critique I have something now in my to do list

Nis

Zaren's crop is about right, however its puzzling at first glance of the photo:
1. i catch the frame but mainly about 3 black columns (left, right and center dark water)
2. 2nd second, eyes going upwards to find details but mostly blocked by those smaller pillars
3. some blurring of those ships
4. The most disturbing/boring is the middle dark water column since this is "suppose" to be a symmetrical static pic
5. high contrast simple because you are under the dock/pier

I hope to know whether you are just testing your lens, or experimenting with picking foreground with rocks, or new idea under the dock?
Tell us in which area in this photo do you like best/find interesting? where is your main subject?

Lsm7n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
To get still less black a change to 16:9 is possible.
In the top left the poles could be deleted.
The problem of the picture is, that for the eye there are 2 interesting lines, that conflict. The strong dock vertically and the nice long line of ships in the background horizontally.
The orange/black colours combine perfectly.
Jan

Alternative.
Try a square format to get rid of the ships in the background and to lead the concentration to the dock.
My 2 times 1cent.
Jan

I hope to know whether you are just testing your lens, or experimenting with picking foreground with rocks, or new idea under the dock?
Tell us in which area in this photo do you like best/find interesting? where is your main subject?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your reply, haven't check this forum for sometime :)

What I want to try with this picture is to get different angle and strong Point of Interest, since I see a lot of docks shots, either on sunset/sunrise, foggy theme, etc, as for color and cropping, I have shoot many other picture, with many angle to try and different time of shoot ( I even shoot at noon which result OE on the water), either by lifting lens a bit to get less boat view, or lower lens angle to get more ship background, and cloud

well my new shoot is much better because of nice feedback I receive here, I want to show to you all, but is it possible under the same thread?
Zaren my I? if it is ok than I will post the link here

once again thank you

Thanks Jan, for your feedback

however this picture will go to my scrap bin, I have decided to shoot about 100 more on the same spot, with many lens angle, different water condition, slightly change in background, I hope I can post my latest work here

thanks

Nis

Nis,

you can post it on this thread if it is a reworked example of the same image, otherwise you can start a new thread.

cheers,
z.

Tell us in which area in this photo do you like best/find interesting? where is your main subject?

Thanks for your reply, haven't check this forum for sometime :)

What I want to try with this picture is to get different angle and strong Point of Interest, since I see a lot of docks shots, either on sunset/sunrise, foggy theme, etc, as for color and cropping, I have shoot many other picture, with many angle to try and different time of shoot ( I even shoot at noon which result OE on the water), either by lifting lens a bit to get less boat view, or lower lens angle to get more ship background, and cloud

well my new shoot is much better because of nice feedback I receive here, I want to show to you all, but is it possible under the same thread?
Zaren my I? if it is ok than I will post the link here

once again thank you[/QUOTE]

ndaniel said:
Thanks for all your critique, below is my latest work, please C & C

Hmm think abit more vividness would be fine..the brightness ontop with the ship's is abit distracting.the haze kinds of makes it irritating..Lol..know that feeling?

Thanks Eggie

this picture have very basic post processing

adjust contrast, cropping, and straightening

others remain original picture

not a photoshop fan, but if necessary I do bit of PP

Try going lower, and shooting with a wider angle lens than your kit lens to give the image more "depth" and foreground interest.
Can also try waiting for more dramatic skies e.g. sunset.

Last edited: