Sunset At Esplanade/S’pore Flyer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CKCHNG

Jul 11, 2009
IMG_27431.JPG

1. In what area is critique to be sought?

Earnestly seeking feedback on composition and the right perspective to use.
The shot was taken in portrait in order to include the crescent moon. As a result, the middle of the photo looks too empty. Would sunset photo taken in more common landscape mode show better result and catch more attention in this case ?

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I wanted to show in a long vertical perspective how high the sky is and the changes from its orangey colour - the last moment of sunset - to the total darkness on top of the photo, with the cityscape as the main subject.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
The shot was taken while waiting for the NE3 fireworks to start. I was caught in two minds whether to shoot in this way or give up the crescent moon and shoot in landscape.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I kind of like this photo myself but the biggest setback was everything looks so small. Perhaps adding some words in the center of the photo would make it more interesting :).

Thanks for your review.

i think its under expose. Secondly i will give up the moon. there is too much empty space between the land n the moon. If the clouds is interesting that might help but the sky is clear.
I feel empty at first when i see this shot cos all i see is moon. Overall your idea is there but u can try this shot again when the moon is not so high in the sky.

1) underexposed on my screen

2) composition wise, not enough space around the moon and/or flyer, this is a case of not wide enough, or not tight enough. either go closer, or wider. in this case i prefer wider.

3) portrait is fine.

tripod???

too much empty space in between, which is the main subject, either is too near the corner.

Thanks night86mare and Snooze for your comments. I must not be distracted by small things in future and just focus on the main subject. And also about the exposure, I must really work on it next time.:)

Yes, tripod used.

then u don do yrself justice.....

u could hav a ring of light on the big wheel which give more impact.

pls show us yr photo when u try again.

then u don do yrself justice.....

u could hav a ring of light on the big wheel which give more impact.

pls show us yr photo when u try again.

Yes, I will.

I think this shot works well in portrait mode and the mid section shows the coloured texture of the sky. On the composition, i think the shot is too tightly cropped. Maybe you can give more space to the left/top of the moon and more to the right of the singapore flyer. That will also help to draw both subjects together.

I think this shot works well in portrait mode and the mid section shows the coloured texture of the sky. On the composition, i think the shot is too tightly cropped. Maybe you can give more space to the left/top of the moon and more to the right of the singapore flyer. That will also help to draw both subjects together.

Hi vyeow, thanks for your comments. There's no cropping on this shot. Should have go more right to make it more compress.:)

I'm not exactly a expert or anything, but to me the moon looks kinda cool in the shot. I mean, there are many night shots of the Flyer, but none of them have a random moon in the corner. It's pretty unique.

I'm not exactly a expert or anything, but to me the moon looks kinda cool in the shot. I mean, there are many night shots of the Flyer, but none of them have a random moon in the corner. It's pretty unique.

yes i do agree. maybe the title could be changed to "Nightfall At Esplanade/S'pore Flyer" instead.

yes i do agree. maybe the title could be changed to "Nightfall At Esplanade/S'pore Flyer" instead.

Thanks for your comment. That was why I wanted to include the moon but unfortunately, it makes the rest look so small.

i do agree on the moon.

looks kinda coolz...

Here are some of my personal opinion.

1) Under exposed.

2) I believe the potrait orientation is to "fit" the moon into the picture. However, as the moon is so puny, the desired effect is greatly diminished.

3) Like what the others say, ignoring the moon would be a good idea since that will give you more space to concentrate on the landscape. By incorporating the moon, you are effectively putting in alot of blank spaces in between.

Just my 3 cents~

I like this piece of work and I think the moon (preferably bigger and hangs lower) adds some balance to the picture.

Not a expert, but I think this shot is cool, though prefer a little more space on the left of the moon.
I also think ur lens may be a bit dirty. There is a black patch 1.5 - 2 cm left of the wheel, is that cloud or dirt patch?

Not a expert, but I think this shot is cool, though prefer a little more space on the left of the moon.
I also think ur lens may be a bit dirty. There is a black patch 1.5 - 2 cm left of the wheel, is that cloud or dirt patch?

I check the batch of other photos taken during that time, no dark patches. So I think it should be some very light clouds.

Thanks to the rest for your comment.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.