Sunrise

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtsky

Jul 28, 2008
Yishun
On the way to market Sunday morning, saw this sunrise near Yishun Park. Rush home for camera and tripod. Managed to take a few photos. This is my favour one. I PP a little, bring down one stop exposure. Would like to trouble you to comment and advice on Exposure, composition. The exposure factor used: f20, 1/60, ISO100
Thanks for your time.
SUNRISE13.jpg

I have another one with vertical presentation here : http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/medium/SUNRISE23.jpg

Last edited:
composition wise I think it is fantastic. But I guess the orange duo tone did not work for me... too orange. Especially at those cloudless areas, I do not think they appeared as orange to natural eyes. :) try lowering the opacity of ur gradient map layer if u used it. :)

composition wise I think it is fantastic. But I guess the orange duo tone did not work for me... too orange. Especially at those cloudless areas, I do not think they appeared as orange to natural eyes. :) try lowering the opacity of ur gradient map layer if u used it. :)

Umm, do you know what duotone is?

This and this (with heavy emphasis on the digital workflow for a duotone image) should sufficiently explain duotone.

Hi, Mr dingzyangz,
Thanks. The following is what I did the PP:
In raw plug-in, I lower the temp a little so that the sun does not appear too bright. Then, I used the dodge tool on the duplicate layer to bring down the brigthness of the sun because it still seen very bright to me. (just learn how to use the dodge tool for the website). This is my original photo without processing: http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/medium/original2.jpg, please help if anything I can do to improve the image. Thanks
Mr Calebk,
Thanks for taking the trouble to attach the info on duotone, it is very useful.

Hi,

I like it. Very natural and the light does not seems to be too saturated. Well captured. Maybe you should be there a little early. Would the lights be better? I was actually looking for the bluish skies with a red thin (if any).
;)

On the orange duotone, I am not too particular about that. If you switch your WB to "Shade" mode you will get almost the same results anyway.

Last edited:
For the post processed photo, I see no point in asking about exposure and putting the exposure settings since it had been post processed. Composition is good with the 2 trees and some ground occupying the foreground with the sun coming on the right giving a nice silhouette.

The photo is nice, however, it appears a bit blur to me, not sure if it's my screen problem. I like the tiny bird silhouette at the sky, for me it seems more 'natural'.

i thought it looked like a orange and black... :bsmilie:

Sometimes it could be due to the monitors you have. Same photo viewed using different monitors appears to be having different tones altogether. I am using iMac by the way so at least I am getting the accurate color and tone (at least not diff by too much from the actual scene).

yup.. i do know abt the tones appearing differently on different monitors.

I do like the way the photo is composed and like I said it was fantastic. :D

The only thing is that the cloudless area in the photo is also orange. That is something that isn't really possible.
Yes, the sky may appear orange but i guess not to such an extent that there is no graduation but just plain orange throughout the cloudless area. :)

Sometimes it could be due to the monitors you have. Same photo viewed using different monitors appears to be having different tones altogether. I am using iMac by the way so at least I am getting the accurate color and tone (at least not diff by too much from the actual scene).

Last edited:
it appears a bit blur to me, not sure if it's my screen problem.

Mr arantha,
The sharpness on my tiff and raw images look ok. After I converted to jpeg it does appear a little blur to me too. I resize the image using following step: Change the image size to 800 x 600 pixels using adobe photoshop, and converted to jpeg so that it is within 200kb (to upload to cs photo gallery). Just wondering I am doing the correct resizing process, please help. Thanks.

For the post processed photo, I see no point in asking about exposure and putting the exposure settings since it had been post processed.

Yes, the sky may appear orange but i guess not to such an extent that there is no graduation but just plain orange throughout the cloudless area. :)

Mr dingzyangz, Mr kruger,
Sorry I am asking about exposure again, maybe it sounds a little stupid. Could the orange appearance cause by the exposure I used. My original photo was quite orange too. Or maybe like Mr Jet Lim mentioned, the best timing should be slightly early to achieve bluish skies with red thin line?

Thanks for all the comments and time all of you spend helping me.

haha... cut out the "mr" la... feels so awkward.
did the picture reflect what you saw? if it does... then its :thumbsup:

:)

Mr arantha,
The sharpness on my tiff and raw images look ok. After I converted to jpeg it does appear a little blur to me too. I resize the image using following step: Change the image size to 800 x 600 pixels using adobe photoshop, and converted to jpeg so that it is within 200kb (to upload to cs photo gallery). Just wondering I am doing the correct resizing process, please help. Thanks.

Sorry I am asking about exposure again, maybe it sounds a little stupid. Could the orange appearance cause by the exposure I used. My original photo was quite orange too. Or maybe like Mr Jet Lim mentioned, the best timing should be slightly early to achieve bluish skies with red thin line?

lol, agree with dingzyangz, the Mr. part seems weird :sweat:

Anyway, just resizing your image to 800x600 shouldn't turn a sharp image to blur, unless you reduce the jpeg quality. Did you save the jpeg image using 'Save As...'?

If yes, maybe you can try other method. Instead of using Save As, try use 'Save for Web...', it is located just two lines below the 'Save As...' option.

After u select 'Save for Web...', a new window will pop-up. Here you can alter the jpeg quality. Just make sure the blur option is 0 (actually you can reduce file size by increasing the blur, but this depends on whether adding blur to your picture will spoil the image or not.)

Ha ha, Mr just the way of showing my respect and appreciation to fellow CSers who willing to spend their precious time to teach me. I will do away with it in future.

Anyway, just resizing your image to 800x600 shouldn't turn a sharp image to blur, unless you reduce the jpeg quality. Did you save the jpeg image using 'Save As...'?

If yes, maybe you can try other method. Instead of using Save As, try use 'Save for Web...', it is located just two lines below the 'Save As...' option.

After u select 'Save for Web...', a new window will pop-up. Here you can alter the jpeg quality. Just make sure the blur option is 0 (actually you can reduce file size by increasing the blur, but this depends on whether adding blur to your picture will spoil the image or not.)

arantha, when I save as jpeg I did compressed it to 20% so that it fits 200kb. Will try the save as web option next time, thanks.

I like the tiny bird silhouette at the sky, for me it seems more 'natural'.

the birds seemed more like a distraction than an asset to me... could do without them

At first, I was also hesistating whether to remove the birds from the image. After considering, I feel the same way as arantha. IMHO, the birds did add a natural feeling to the picture. Just imagining lying on the grass watching sunrise with birds flying creating a silhouette that mutual complementing the silhouette of the tree. That is the 'luxury' life I am longing....

Last edited:
At first, I was also hesistating whether to remove the birds from the image. After considering, I feel the same way as arantha. IMHO, the birds did add a natural feeling to the picture. Just imagining lying on the grass watching sunrise with birds flying creating a silhouette that mutual complementing the silhouette of the tree. That is the 'luxury' life I am longing....

yes! i love the bird there!
nice capture..

composition wise is fine, personally I find it is too tide, more empty space would be better, since you are shooting landscape, you should able to shoot a few more frames with exposure bracketing, than work on the image has the best exposure.

Try use save for web, don't go below 60%, if you need to, reduce the image size, a sharp looking 400x600 is far better than a fuzzy fuzzy large image.

Btw, don't have to use Mr Mr in your every reply.

I prefer the portrait shot than the landscape version. Sun is too burnt out in the landscape version

If you wish to achieve bluish skies with red thin line, this picture would not have existed. Because the sun have risen and with the atmosphere cast an orange tint to the skies. In your original photo, your camera metered the light from the sun hence it was a bit more under. So naturally when you boost up the exposure the sun will be overexposed. Like catchlights said, "you should able to shoot a few more frames with exposure bracketing, than work on the image has the best exposure."

Personally I like the orange skies but this tend to make me feel it's more of a sunset.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.