Sunrise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorts

Mar 10, 2007
SG
Hello,

I finally have a chance to take a sunrise photo. Here it is.

PA066986U.jpg

I need some help here. :) I need some help on the composition of this photo. Is it good enough, well placed? And of course the exposure. Is the sun properly exposed? I used spot metering for this and metered near the sun but not directly at the sun, like what I have read.

Lastly, I have problems with PP. I have hardly tried post processing. But decided that I should shoot RAW. Now I have problems deciding which is the correct WB. I need tips on PP as well. Which is the image with the correct WB? The top one? Or the one below?

PA0669624U.jpg

Thanks everyone, and harsh comments are accepted, if you think there is a need to. :lovegrin:

Sunrise's all abt color..
sunrises are preferably warm.. there must be a sense of the golden glow/warmth in a sunrise picture for it to convey the feeling to the viewer.

been in many sunrise situations, its quiet, sometimes slightly windy, there's this serenity when watching sunrise as the waves gently lap the shores. the presence of ships under the sun.. and the sun as a small round dot makes everything seem rather distant..

Good use of the barricade as a leading line and a coconut tree to frame the right side of the picture, but its either its kept as a darker silhoutte(for sunset scene) or bright, to show the glow of the morning sun... under-exposure with visible details in this case makes the picture gloomy.. coupled with the clouds in the sky..

Lastly, I have problems with PP. I have hardly tried post processing. But decided that I should shoot RAW. Now I have problems deciding which is the correct WB. I need tips on PP as well. Which is the image with the correct WB? The top one? Or the one below?
My 2 cents. Your question on "correct WB", does your "correct" means
1)accurate depiction of the actual scene
2)having the most impactful colours?

For me, it is sometimes hard to attain both at the same time. So I usually choose WB as cloudy/shade to warm up the picture.

Have fun shooting sunrises! I find that the first step of getting out of bed early hard for me to overcome. :bsmilie:

Taken in Bali....

*image removed*

*image removed*

*image removed*

Taken in Bali....

*image removed*

*image removed*

*image removed*

critique corner is specifically for members to post pictures to seek critique, with rules attached. please take note of the posting rules

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=273376
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=273343

please refer to the stickies for more information.

images removed.

thanks.

Sunrise's all abt color..
sunrises are preferably warm.. there must be a sense of the golden glow/warmth in a sunrise picture for it to convey the feeling to the viewer.

been in many sunrise situations, its quiet, sometimes slightly windy, there's this serenity when watching sunrise as the waves gently lap the shores. the presence of ships under the sun.. and the sun as a small round dot makes everything seem rather distant..

Good use of the barricade as a leading line and a coconut tree to frame the right side of the picture, but its either its kept as a darker silhouette(for sunset scene) or bright, to show the glow of the morning sun... under-exposure with visible details in this case makes the picture gloomy.. coupled with the clouds in the sky..

Thanks. So would it be wise to make them as silhouette or expose them slightly more? As you said darker silhouette for sunset scene. The sun wasn't very dramatic at that time. Seems pretty big from my eyes, but after capturing it, it looks so small. Haha. So would the small sun work for you?:)

My 2 cents. Your question on "correct WB", does your "correct" means
1)accurate depiction of the actual scene
2)having the most impactful colours?

For me, it is sometimes hard to attain both at the same time. So I usually choose WB as cloudy/shade to warm up the picture.

Have fun shooting sunrises! I find that the first step of getting out of bed early hard for me to overcome. :bsmilie:

So does it mean that the WB is more of user preference?

The sun seems weird. Yellow above the clouds. But glowing red near the sun. From photos I seen, doesn't seems like it's this way. ;p

Getting out of bed was no problem, because capturing what I love to get would be a motivation to get up early.

The sun seems weird. Yellow above the clouds. But glowing red near the sun. From photos I seen, doesn't seems like it's this way. ;p

Getting out of bed was no problem, because capturing what I love to get would be a motivation to get up early.

You have the above photos in RAW? Try shady or cloudy or other colour temperatures as the WB. See which one is more pleasing to your eye.

I guess you are using a short focal length? A zoom lens will pull the sun closer.

But I wanted the barricade and the trees as the frame. Thus, used a wide angle lens. I wouldn't want just the sun and sea alone. That would be a little boring, but I do have some of the pictures with the bigger sun :D But from my view at that time, the sun wasn't that small. Haha.

try playing around with it, you will be surprise that one scene can give you many different feel just with some tweak of the WB

here is some that I took just ytd by playing around with WB and some GNDs

if you are seriously interested in landscaping, i urge you to get yourself 1 set of GND, even those cheap china-made TianYa can become really useful at times

try playing around with it, you will be surprise that one scene can give you many different feel just with some tweak of the WB

here is some that I took just ytd by playing around with WB and some GNDs

if you are seriously interested in landscaping, i urge you to get yourself 1 set of GND, even those cheap china-made TianYa can become really useful at times

Wonderful pictures you have. Makes me think of getting GNDs, but I am not sure how often I would use them. What types of GND are there?

I just can't seem to get good landscape shots. Haha. I'm bad at them, need some practice. ;p

This is one of my fav sites for info on landscape photography. It deals with everything from basics to advance stuff including composition... take a look at it and hope you will find it useful.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/

Wonderful pictures you have. Makes me think of getting GNDs, but I am not sure how often I would use them. What types of GND are there?

I just can't seem to get good landscape shots. Haha. I'm bad at them, need some practice. ;p
for a basic set, a NDx4 + GNDx4 will do most of the trick, for more fun of playing filter, you can get the sunset-GND (personally i got 1, but seldom use it as it produce un-natural results), blue GND(pretty great if you want to include some blue in your sky, but overuse is again, un-natural) and probably another piece of GNDx4 if the contrast is too great.

Just one more question. What can I do to make the sun stand out more? :) PP tips anyone? Thanks.

Just one more question. What can I do to make the sun stand out more? :) PP tips anyone? Thanks.
simplest would be adding contrast... but the hardest of the simple part is to add contrast yet maintain details from the highlight and shadow and banding of colors. :bsmilie:

My attempt, no sure whether it works for you or not :

PA066986U-2.jpg

Steps :
1. Level the horizon
2. Crop away some dark patches at the bottom and the right side.
3. Auto contrast - to nail the black and white
4. Brightness/contrast - brightness -10 , contrast +10
5. Hue/Satuation - Satuation +10

Regards.

My attempt, no sure whether it works for you or not :

PA066986U-2.jpg

Steps :
1. Level the horizon
2. Crop away some dark patches at the bottom and the right side.
3. Auto contrast - to nail the black and white
4. Brightness/contrast - brightness -10 , contrast +10
5. Hue/Satuation - Satuation +10

Regards.

Thanks Buz_Buz! I prefer to have more of barricade, to show leading lines, to the sun. :) Thanks for the attempt, I will try out what you have stated. Thanks everyone!

Thread Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.