sunrise & sunset setting

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony753

Sep 9, 2006
newbie need help here......what is the best setting for shooting sunrise & sunset??? i'm a nikon user....pls help...:sweat:

newbie need help here......what is the best setting for shooting sunrise & sunset??? i'm a nikon user....pls help...:sweat:

:embrass: I also newbie... I also want to learn lol :heart:

like any other time of the day, conditions of sunset/sunrise differs from time to time, as such there's no such thing as a best setting. :)

sunrise & sunset best captured @ its golden minute...

Hmmm... I can share with you what I did, but I am still in learning mode, so take it with a grain of salt.

Use tripod necessary, I usually shoot in AP mode for sunrise and sunset as most of landscape shots I took, usually set it between F8 to F11 max F16 to get the sharpness edge to edge.

Try out with -EV on your camera to see the differences it makes for every shot, experiment with Grad ND and Grad Colour filters and happy shooting.

../azul123

the light level changes rapidly, so you can't have one setting to shoot sunrise or sunset.

I usaully use centre weighted metering, for sunrise or sunset, reading is taken around the sun, but not including the sun, that is the mid tone area, so I zoom in, take a reading or switch to spot metering.

Use that reading as a guild, plus or minus after you see the result from the screen.

catchlights said:
the light level changes rapidly, so you can't have one setting to shoot sunrise or sunset.

I usaully use centre weighted metering, for sunrise or sunset, reading is taken around the sun, but not including the sun, that is the mid tone area, so I zoom in, take a reading or switch to spot metering.

Use that reading as a guild, plus or minus after you see the result from the screen.

yeah! :thumbsup: metering is the key..spot meter is the best..visualise ur frame, find the spot that is 1-1.3 stop lower than the brightess spot, which is usually around the sun..get the metered reading, set it manually..

azul123 said:
Hmmm... I can share with you what I did, but I am still in learning mode, so take it with a grain of salt.

Use tripod necessary, I usually shoot in AP mode for sunrise and sunset as most of landscape shots I took, usually set it between F8 to F11 max F16 to get the sharpness edge to edge.

Try out with -EV on your camera to see the differences it makes for every shot, experiment with Grad ND and Grad Colour filters and happy shooting.

:thumbsup: small apertures is oso necessary for getting sharpness..

if shooting digital..bracketing can oso gives u a variation of shots, pick the best delete the rest..

catchlight has given the best advice :thumbsup:

aperture wise, it really depends on the lens. i find it alright to open the aperture wide on a wide angle lens like the sigma 12-24.

Thanks for all the advices.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yeah! :thumbsup: metering is the key..spot meter is the best..visualise ur frame, find the spot that is 1-1.3 stop lower than the brightess spot, which is usually around the sun..get the metered reading, set it manually..

blazer_workz, 1-1.3 stop lower, what u mean is it -ev 1.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.