Sunrise - Start Of A New Day

crystal1993

Aug 16, 2010
Japan, Tokyo
155706_1762665750522_1355451962_31947602_3458511_n.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Composition and Exposure

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
To capture the beautiful and dramatic sunrise that i witnessed.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Sunrise(of course) with a tripod. No PP done.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
I feel that i captured the clouds and everything well but i don't like the fact that the sea is blended into the horizon especially at the right side. And although the clouds and everything is nicely captured but the picture seems like it is lacking the punch.

To have the sky occupying most of the photo, you have to have a sky that have to be working in your favour and have more interesting or defining details and features or something interesting happening in the sky. Something like this may work.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5376204&postcount=3

For more punch, you probably have to tweak the colours and increase saturation during pp. Probably I might use colour filters during pp to get that "punch"

For the cloud blending to the sea, there is nothing much you can do except shoot again and cross fingers for no cloud in the horizon.

Last edited:
Agree with Coolthought. The top 1/3 of the sky with messy clouds sort of spoiled your pic. Your sky colour is quite dull. Crop off the top 1/3, tweet the contrast and filters to the cirrus clouds to add some wow factor.

In addition, the cranes and landscape did not add much as they seemed to be too abrupt in composition.

Crop off top and bottom, add some colours and contrast to the sky. You would be amazed how the pic would turn out.

Opinion as I see it. Thanks.

Jon

Usually, effective landscape shots have a subject in the frame to add foreground interest. Perhaps you'd try again with a foreground interest to improve your composition.

Get a tripod and do a pano as I think the entire bay is worth capturing.

The picture may lack some punch because of the trees at the front left side, they seem to take away from the landscape IMO.

The reason why this photo lacks punch is because not enough thought has been put into the composition.

The foreground is cut off at a strange place- a clump of trees are sticking out on the left, and cranes/boats/whatevertheyare are sticking out from the bottom of the photo. The photo lacks any element to lead the viewer's eyes in, so it appears as a mass of pattern and colour and nothing more.

Exposure-wise, there's nothing glaringly obvious that I can see. Can you please list your settings? The boats look soft and from this size, it looks like there is noise.