Sunrise over Tanah Merah

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal87

Jul 3, 2008
This photo is taken on 22/08/08 with my Nikon D40 camera and 18-55mm kit lens.
Picture is taken at 20mm focal length, f/3.8, shutter speed 1/1000.

2792014838_36acc1a8f2_o.jpg

I have no idea why the picture won't go up. So I am putting the link here.

I really wanted to capture the reddish clouds with the cloud formation. I was slightly late to capture this photo, hence, I tried to increase the shutter speed as much as possible to capture the color contrast on the clouds. Do comment. Thanks.

Last edited:
2792014838_36acc1a8f2_o.jpg

just curious, why did you use such a large aperture?

and wat do you wan us to comment on?

o0. Is the aperture too big? I felt that its fine.

Large Aperture results in shallow Depth of field "DOF".

So what happens is that your picture foreground and clouds (background) has become "soft" or not sharp.

Also, the colors of your camera setting seems to be a wrong as it looks too red or orangy to me.

But all in all, the fun is in striving to improve on the next shot. ;)

I believe a little reading up on the effects of different sizes of aperture and shutter speed might help you understand more of their different effects.

So what happens is that your picture foreground and clouds (background) has become "soft" or not sharp.

I wonder how you can see this. The picture posted, especially the foreground, is so limited by JPEG compression artefacts that one cannot possibly see the sharpness of the original image.

Also, the colors of your camera setting seems to be a wrong as it looks too red or orangy to me.

But all in all, the fun is in striving to improve on the next shot. ;)

large aperture = shallow DOF, not wrong.

but i depends on where is the focal point.

if focus is at infinity, eg , the clouds, then, if the foreground is sufficiently far enough (also infinity), then they will be equally sharp, regardless of aperture.

but if u are talking about stopping down 2 stops for ideal IQ, then its another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.