Sunrise of the Bay

small pig

May 17, 2011
Punggol
1. In what area is critique to be sought?
The composition, lightings, shadows, photo process and how to improve on the photo.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
This photo could be recognise as a nice profile pic.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
Morning Sun Rise.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, I think the photo would be better if I got a wider lens

303286_115771051869904_100003110294035_93614_511831040_n.jpg

Nice composition, I like it, except that I would very much prefer the split-mirroring line to be dead-in-the-middle.

Lighting wise, it is pretty obvious. Over-exposure (that flower-like structure) and under-exposures (buildings) in parts of the photo. I would have taken 2 more shots with the correct exposures to both, overlay them for correction.

However, there's a problem to this photo. No sun was in sight since you have named it sunrise. "Dawn" would be a much appropriate title.

Can you explain why would a wider shot been much better?

Last edited:
Good photo with beautiful colours. Exposure is like what was mentioned, some building are under while some are over exposed. Perhaps using the bracketing method to attain a HDR photo would be good. Framing wise I think it would be better to move slightly to the right to show more of MBS and the convention centre. The left of the Flyer is rather boring and could be cropped away.

Thanks.. .. if my lens is wider it could capture the entire bay sands. But since it can't, I choose to place e tower and e flyer in proportion. Hmmm. Why no sun.. good question..

Well then my question is do you have to include the Flyer to begin with? Why not just try out anyother composition without it?

318464_115788765201466_100003110294035_93713_939847023_n.jpg

How abt this?

prefer 1st pic to 2nd..
2nd pic..everything is in the center..and i cant tell which is the main subject.. hmm dont work for me.

lol I prefer the 2nd pic. Well the subject is quite obvious, it's the entire MBS centre.

prefer 1st pic to 2nd..
2nd pic..everything is in the center..and i cant tell which is the main subject.. hmm dont work for me.

Firs one was mw the Flyer and MBA. Second one was with the MBS only. So I'm pretty amazed you couldn't tell what was the main subject in the 2nd one when you didn't have any problem for the 1st.

Firs one was mw the Flyer and MBA. Second one was with the MBS only. So I'm pretty amazed you couldn't tell what was the main subject in the 2nd one when you didn't have any problem for the 1st.

So am i. If MBS was not the subject in the 2nd pic, what is the other subject u are seeing that we don't?

Anyway back to TS pic, the colours are towards the unnatural side on my screen. I was there last saturday morning too and it didn't look like this

318464_115788765201466_100003110294035_93713_939847023_n.jpg

How abt this?

The colours are too unnatural. Look at MBS.
I think you went overboard with the saturation and contrast settings.
though admittedly the combination of blues and purples in the sky kinda worked :)

you use Facebook as your image host?

308641_115788905201452_100003110294035_93714_1604378987_n.jpg

This is the original pic. yes, using FB.

This is a much better composition but you went through the roof with the colour adjustments, so was the first one.

This is better for me..Nice shots

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
The composition, lightings, shadows, photo process and how to improve on the photo.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
This photo could be recognise as a nice profile pic.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken?
Morning Sun Rise.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
Personally, I think the photo would be better if I got a wider lens

303286_115771051869904_100003110294035_93614_511831040_n.jpg

If you wish to include the flyer, yes, you would need a wider lens. But if you want to work with what you have, then as others have suggested, you can just exclude the flyer altogether, and it will work.

Do note that there is a strong magenta/red cast in the midtones which is extremely unnatural.

The picture is also looking very overcontrasted to me - there is nothing wrong with silhouettes, but it should not be a semi-silhouette with dancing slivers of light floating in the middle.

308641_115788905201452_100003110294035_93714_1604378987_n.jpg

This is the original pic. yes, using FB.

Suggest to layer this one on top of the previous version as a "Color" layer, and adjust it until it's somewhere in between. Personally I find this too blue, and I think that the first version is still better, mainly because of the sky.

To overcome the problem of MBS looking too reddish (if you think that is the case, personally I think the problem lies with the contrast, rather than the coloration of the MBS - for night/twilight shots you do have some leeway to be creative at colouring), one possible way of addressing this is to layer as "Color", and erase the relevant portions away with a large soft brush first, then a smaller soft brush to touch up with opacity 50% thereabouts. So if you layer the second shot on top of the first, you would erase away the sky to leave the MBS remaining. It's not that hard if you try it.

As mentioned countless times already, this is over-contrasted for me.

Thank you for the valuable comments. I will take note of it.

This is nice! But the overexposed VS underexposed parts seem a bit glaring for me. Did you shoot in RAW? And this is wide enough, I think. Looking solid. :)