Sunrise from my room

pelangi15

Oct 1, 2012
SengKang
1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Composition & subject

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Want to learn what is considered a good shot

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Found the sunrise to be unique.
Usually it's more on the right.
While trying to capture the shot, saw a plane flying by. I took the shot straight.
It's not shot with my longest lens, but doubt with my longest lens (at 216mm) will make much difference.

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I feel that I have captured the moment when the plane cuts across the sun, making it stand out.
Only disappointment is that the plane is not "big" enough.
This kind of "mess" up the subject of the photo. Even if I were to crop the photo (maybe top left quarter of the image), I am not so confident it will work out better.

The thing is I have been to capture morning shots from my room and sometimes during the day, if the sky look unique.
I know one of the days the "cranes" will be gone and replaced by higher buildings, blocking my view.
So, I am collecting shots so that I can show to my children in future.

Please feel free to comment.

I feel that your photo doesn't really have a clear subject. You said you captured the moment when then plane cut across the sun, but like you said, it's really too small to notice.

I personally think that if you highlighted the cranes a bit more, like take the shot from a lower area and the cranes would stand out above the hdbs, it would look better. right now it looks quite flat. but i guess you noticed the plane and shot it from where you are.

enough with criticisms. i really like sunrise/set photos, and you got the golden hour timing really well. and as to what is considered a good shot, while there are many rules (e.g. rule of 1/3s, subject takes up the frame, depth of field etc), it all comes down to personal opinion and whether the individual feels the photo.

Thanks for your comments.

I know that I can only pick the sunlight, crane, flats or the plane. I guess the plane only acts as a bonus now...

When you say move to a lower area, do you mean changing the perspective as well? Or keeping everything straight as before (if so, I can just reframe right)?
Or moving closer to the crane?

Actually I have taken another shot. Different framing. But not sure which is better or how to be better.

Thanks for your comments.

I know that I can only pick the sunlight, crane, flats or the plane. I guess the plane only acts as a bonus now...

When you say move to a lower area, do you mean changing the perspective as well? Or keeping everything straight as before (if so, I can just reframe right)?
Or moving closer to the crane?

Actually I have taken another shot. Different framing. But not sure which is better or how to be better.

yes i have it in my head that it'll look better with the cranes towering over the flats. i don't really like how the cranes are in line with the rooftops (which is what i meant by it looking flat). But with the plane situation involved, I recognise it was kinda a now or never shot.

Hi Ryhuz,

Ya, the cranes are giving me a problem. But when they are gone, they will be replaced by tall buildings.

Thanks for sharing. I will think give a try with the cranes more close up.