Sunrise From Merlion Park

Kongfu

Sep 16, 2011
S'pore, Sengkang
424099_3243847864965_1529934430_33021320_670012626_n.jpg

In what area is critique to be sought?
-> Anything that can help me improve from Composition, Framing etc.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
-> The beauty of the sky during this magical hour

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
-> This was taken early in the morning during the recent outing organise by Cleonbus

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
-> It looks not bad to me :embrass: but I know it could be a lot better! Being a newbie, I hope to pick up things from the kind soul here. :)

In the choice of your framing, you cut off MBS on the right side and have the flyer too close to the edge of the frame. You should try to shoot wider. If this is the widest your lens can go, consider excluding the flyer in your framing.

Here is an article about composition. Hope it helps.
Photography Composition Articles: Landscape Composition Rules.

In the choice of your framing, you cut off MBS on the right side and have the flyer too close to the edge of the frame. You should try to shoot wider. If this is the widest your lens can go, consider excluding the flyer in your framing.

Here is an article about composition. Hope it helps.
Photography Composition Articles: Landscape Composition Rules.

Hi Daredevil,

Thank you for dropping by. Yes my lens wasn;t wide enuf :( will be careful wif my framing next time. Thanks for the article too :)

I always have the same problem with this area and composition when going wide at this location.
The flyer tries to 'squeeze' into the frame due to proximity, but ends up doing nothing but unbalancing the composition with its skinny shape and adding to a "add me too" look. :)

Personally, I'd try to go wider or Pano stitch to find back an element of balance on the left, or just recompose and leave out the flyer.

I always have the same problem with this area and composition when going wide at this location.
The flyer tries to 'squeeze' into the frame due to proximity, but ends up doing nothing but unbalancing the composition with its skinny shape and adding to a "add me too" look. :)

Personally, I'd try to go wider or Pano stitch to find back an element of balance on the left, or just recompose and leave out the flyer.

Hi Pinholecam,

Thank you for the advice will try it again :) ...Maybe its time i learn pano...but besides composition, is there anything i shd look out for?

Hi Pinholecam,

Thank you for the advice will try it again :) ...Maybe its time i learn pano...but besides composition, is there anything i shd look out for?

Perhaps don't center the horizon. Leave out the parts that add nothing to the shot (eg. the waters are just dark, maybe crop off a bit of it).

Perhaps don't center the horizon. Leave out the parts that add nothing to the shot (eg. the waters are just dark, maybe crop off a bit of it).

ok noted..thanks alot for the input. :)

I'd exclude the Flyer out of the composition but if you want to have it, you might want to try the shot outside One Fullerton.

Hi Kit,

Thanks and noted! :) dunno if i shd get an UWA :dunno:

The gradient of the sky is good. The water seems too disturbing, doesn't quite work. The image feels soft, perhaps you can work a bit more on your post processing. The contrast is insufficient, lack a colour impact. I feel cropping can be tighter with the singapore flyer out of the picture. Don't compress so much, the jpeg artifacts are very pronounced on the MBS. The blue lights along the bridge is a feature, but in this scene, I believe you can just remove them or make them less vibrant. Feels like hotspot pixels.

The gradient of the sky is good. The water seems too disturbing, doesn't quite work. The image feels soft, perhaps you can work a bit more on your post processing. The contrast is insufficient, lack a colour impact. I feel cropping can be tighter with the singapore flyer out of the picture. Don't compress so much, the jpeg artifacts are very pronounced on the MBS. The blue lights along the bridge is a feature, but in this scene, I believe you can just remove them or make them less vibrant. Feels like hotspot pixels.

Hi David,

Thank you very much for your input. Like Pinhole said, i shd hv chop off the water instead. i will work on improving my framing aspect as well as using lightroom(am still new to it sometimes dont even know wat to do :dunno: ) may i ask how do i reduce the artifacts on the MBS? and lastly i find the blue lights quite distracting too..maybe i can re-process and crop out part of the water and see how it fair....thanks man! :)

Great sky color. You may want to apply rule of thirds. Think will help a lot in the picture.

if anything, i feel that there is too much of the water.

nice colours though.

Kongfu said:
Hi David,

Thank you very much for your input. Like Pinhole said, i shd hv chop off the water instead. i will work on improving my framing aspect as well as using lightroom(am still new to it sometimes dont even know wat to do :dunno: ) may i ask how do i reduce the artifacts on the MBS? and lastly i find the blue lights quite distracting too..maybe i can re-process and crop out part of the water and see how it fair....thanks man! :)

Those artifacts are inherent to jpeg compression, just choose a higher quality compression settings when you export your processed files from Lightroom. For best quality during your shooting, choose either RAW or highest/optimal quality JPEG settings. The former will give you more flexibility when coming to extreme post processing on exposure recovery or other purposes.

Is this taken during an outing from beginner outing? hehe..
the flyer is not necessary in the frame if your lens is not wide enough..
cheers!

Those artifacts are inherent to jpeg compression, just choose a higher quality compression settings when you export your processed files from Lightroom. For best quality during your shooting, choose either RAW or highest/optimal quality JPEG settings. The former will give you more flexibility when coming to extreme post processing on exposure recovery or other purposes.

Ah now I know....I always reduce the compression in a way when I export them from Lightroom to save up space :p Thanks alot Bro! :)

Is this taken during an outing from beginner outing? hehe..
the flyer is not necessary in the frame if your lens is not wide enough..
cheers!

Oops Sorry! Now I know...will be more careful in my composition next time...thanks alot :)