Sunrise @ ECP - Failures.. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

k3nn3th03

Jan 6, 2005
need advices...

took the sunrise this morning @ ECP...

some turn out ok but most turn out bad or "rotton"...

can anyone tell me where did i do wrong ??

took them wit P mode, SCN, A mode...

sure even got shadows, 4 sun in the pic, not sharp, noisy, etc...

haiz..

4 suns

pic

pic

Do you have your adapter with the filter on when you took these pictures?

i had similar experience before...you took handheld or tripod?

The four suns is due to flare i think. :think:

With regards to sharpness, more likely to be oof, or because of haze??

Having a tripod and remote shutter release helps.

rhair78 said:
The four suns is due to flare i think. :think:

With regards to sharpness, more likely to be oof, or because of haze??

Having a tripod and remote shutter release helps.

thanks...

panafz10 : yes.. had phy adapter wit UV, hood... then try putting CP also.. but effect worse..

dominator : i use tripod.. 055pro with gitzo ball head.. that y most of my pic is tilted..

rhair78 :i reckon the 4 suns is due to the flare too.. cos its almost direct to the sun.. wat is off ?? there wasnt any haze that morning.. quite clear.. i was thinking i might be too far away and i almost zoom all the way to 48x.. but most are like under 12x .. yes , i use the remote shutter.. thanks to JD..

there was another lady there taking also.. wonder how her pic came out.. :think:

John Teoh said:
For the 4 suns, I believe you have some dusts or droplets on your filter.

Cheers
John

hmmm...

but hor, y other pic of the sun got no shadows leh ??

only that few have only...

maybe u r rite.. guess i go home and do a major cleaning on the whole sets..

thanks for the tips john..

k3nn3th03 said:
hmmm...

but hor, y other pic of the sun got no shadows leh ??

only that few have only...

maybe u r rite.. guess i go home and do a major cleaning on the whole sets..

thanks for the tips john..

You certainly need a tripod, your remote shutter release will help too.

I think your focus is a little out, may be you did a pre focus on the cloud instead of the sun? Not sure if you check and make sure that your camera is on auto focus instead of manual focus?

I did handheld sunrise shots before, it is not easy. You need to have a steady pair of hands, else, you will realise that even with IOS, your sunrise shots may come out blur...

Other than that, you also need to watch out your camera setting, such as white balance, f-stop, shutter speed, ISO....

over exposed? I'd like to keep a little more color in the sun rather than making it plain white.

I haven't tried any sunrise here yet as I live in Jurong West and ... Tried some sunsets at Tunas though, handheld at 480mm eqv. and the shutter speed is still more than adequate. Lock the focus at infinity and spot meter the sun, or meter the surrounding clouds and apply -EV compensation. I've put mine sunset shots in my gallery, you may like to check out. They are not good in fact but can give you an idea what I'm talking about regarding metering.

The flare is likely due to the UV you're using since internal lens elements can't give you ghost images of the same size as the original image.

JimDavis said:
You certainly need a tripod, your remote shutter release will help too.

I think your focus is a little out, may be you did a pre focus on the cloud instead of the sun? Not sure if you check and make sure that your camera is on auto focus instead of manual focus?

I did handheld sunrise shots before, it is not easy. You need to have a steady pair of hands, else, you will realise that even with IOS, your sunrise shots may come out blur...

Other than that, you also need to watch out your camera setting, such as white balance, f-stop, shutter speed, ISO....

halo JD,

yes i used tripod - 055pro ( ball head = most pic tilted )

i forcus on the sun mostly... and its on auto focus..

i agree that hand held shots are very difficult to shoot... if u got see th album, there are pic which are not sharp and blur..

i off the IOS when it on tripod but on to mode 2 when off tripod..

WB = auto

:(

THe photo's quality looks pretty bad to me.. grainy..
Try shooting at a slow ISO like 100... And the horizon is very tilted check the spirit level on ur 055 or the lines in ur viewfinder before firing :)

On the other hand, frame and composition wise works for me.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I might be wrong. If you look at the 1st and the 3rd picture posted, both have duplicates of the sun. Modern lens of high quality have coatings on the lens' elements to prevent flare, or internal reflection to my understanding. Of course not all lens can reduce flare to a minimum.

In the 1st picture where there is 4 suns, I believe the camera is tilted up and to the right. With the tilt up, it caused a flare of the sun and created the lower left extra sun. With the shift to the right, there duplicate the 2 suns on the left into another 2 on the right.

What I think is the UV filter that cause the problem. Personally think that the Leica designed lens will not be as bad as a Hoya filter (single coating). Try taking a picture with flare and UV filter, then at the same position take out the UV filter see if the problem continues. Even my B+W non coated red filter flare badly if shooting against/near against the sun.

Nevertheless, the 3rd picture posted I feel can be better if you can crop tighter (Personally I like tight shots) and show the maginificant glowing sun.

icarus said:
THe photo's quality looks pretty bad to me.. grainy..
Try shooting at a slow ISO like 100... And the horizon is very tilted check the spirit level on ur 055 or the lines in ur viewfinder before firing :)

On the other hand, frame and composition wise works for me.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

yea loh.. i also think this way...

i wonder if its because i zoom in too much...

very blur..

i shoot at 100..

actually too excited abt the shooting that i forgot abt the spirit...

point noted... learn something new again.. ;)

Becareful not to focus the sun too long on the CCD/CMOS as it may actually burn the imaging chip and cause a permant damage.

It is something like focousing the sun onto a piece of paper using a magnifier glass... It same reason why this should be avoided on the cloth shutter of Leica/Mamiya/etc...

orion said:
Becareful not to focus the sun too long on the CCD/CMOS as it may actually burn the imaging chip and cause a permant damage.

It is something like focousing the sun onto a piece of paper using a magnifier glass... It same reason why this should be avoided on the cloth shutter of Leica/Mamiya/etc...

IT guy = roger loud and clear.. ;)

orion = this also loud and clear.. remember reading somewhere in forum abt this..

both points noted.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.