Sunrise at seletar resevoir

ngopkhoi

Dec 18, 2010

I am just a newbie seeking for critique and comment. This is the best shot of mine so far. This was shot using my kit lens

1. In what area is critique to be sought?
I'd like to have critique on the composition, colour, shading . I would like to know how to improve the shot as well.

2. What one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
I hope to achieve a good landscape photo.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
This was taken in the morning around 7 30. I was a bit sleepy because I woke up quite early to prepare. I expected the sun to rise at 6. Haha.

4. What the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
I photoshoped this picture. After that I realize this look more like sunset to me. :sweatsm:

Last edited:
730am is no longer a good time to catch sunrise.

u can search for the threads in this forum, they usually shoot way earlier then that.

i never get to do sunrise shots cos i knew i cannot wake up that early lol

Not a bad try. Exposure is a little under. Maybe you want to try some blending or exposure balancing.

I think it would be helpful if you do some prior homework on what time does the sun rises on the day you plan to shoot, then plan what time to go down and gears and what you intend to do and which scene or angle (perhaps you would have an idea before you head down). I think (not entirely sure) that the sun rise in Singapore generally is around 6:30-7:00 am, I remember checking once and it was like 6:50am? I think these are somethings you can perhaps think about first before you head down to shoot and because sunrise and sunsets are so quick, and the lighting condition changes so quickly, I think a bit of preparation in that sense would help.

Is this a sunrise? Perhaps you wish to make the colour balance cooler?

It looks like a sunset to me...

To sinned79, nitewalk : Thanks for your sharing. I was there at 6 30. However I saw quite many people set up the tripod so I was a bit paiseh. Hahaha. I wait for them to leave then I take

To daredevil: Thanks for your comment. I will go home and try pp again. Will post the picture again.

To PaulKami: Haha! I know. I mentioned it. Thanks anyway

To sinned79, nitewalk : Thanks for your sharing. I was there at 6 30. However I saw quite many people set up the tripod so I was a bit paiseh. Hahaha. I wait for them to leave then I take

To daredevil: Thanks for your comment. I will go home and try pp again. Will post the picture again.

Aiyo! Don't shy lah. :)

You might wanna wake up earlier, and try to be there by 6am to secure a good spot? Dont be shy if you see other photographers, you may chat with them to trade some tips and tricks. I'm sure most photographers would be more than willing to chat with you.

Back to your picture, it looks a bit underexposed, the horizon seems a little tilted, and the rocks in the foreground doesn't do anything to justify its presence. Either you lose them, or you play them up by including more of them in your picture.

nothing to be shy of, u are not committing a crime haha. u went so early, u should have not waste it!

nothing to be shy of, u are not committing a crime haha. u went so early, u should have not waste it!

Yeah man! dun be shy!

Just on the photos, i saw another take of the sunrise but it was much golden colour. Think you can try that out, also i think the photo is too much on the riverbed and kind of makes the top part looks abit squeezy.. just my 2cents.

*peace!

Ops, didn't read that ^_^;;

PS: You might wanna try HDR at that time since the horizon is located at the top part of the photo, you could show what's at the foreground.

PS2: If your intention is not to, then probably keeping the horizon at the bottom half would helps :) :thumbsup:

PS3: If your intention is to create a split mirror effect, then horizon at the middle would be better

PSP: The 3 points above are my own opinion ^_^;;

Dear TS, come and chat with me when u see me taking sunrise at lower seletar! :thumbsup:

Or maybe fix a time to go together? :bsmilie:

Thank you every one for guiding me! I am glad.

Dear TS, come and chat with me when u see me taking sunrise at lower seletar! :thumbsup:

Or maybe fix a time to go together? :bsmilie:

Sure sure. But I am quite busy these few days

IMHO, ur horizon seems slight tilted? I personally think that ur sky is a tad too tight. Probably following the one third rule for landscape photography can make it better.

U can jus send me a PM on when u're free and maybe we can arrange for a sunrise/sunset shot. ;p

Ya I know. I want to capture both the rocks and the sky. Haha. I think need to save up for a wide angle soon