Sunrise and sunset

gary11166

May 3, 2011
Singapore
I need some advise from the field as to how take photo for the above.
I managed to take the picture of the sun very clearly but the object before the sun is very dark.
I'm using nikon 7000.

Thanks.

photography rule number 1: what you see IS NOT what you will get

our human eyes far supercede the dynamic range of the camera.

I managed to take the picture of the sun very clearly but the object before the sun is very dark.
I'm using nikon 7000.

Thanks.

Read up about 'Dynamic Range' :)

Take two photo... one with good exposure of the sun and another with good exposure on the background or the rest of the photo, then merge the two together using photoshop.

i would most likely use a GND filter for this case.

Yh get some basic filters like UV/CPL filters, these two filters can stop some light

I'm using nikon 7000.

Thanks.

what you have is a silhouette photo. Object is back lit by the sun.
this happen when the camera try to meter to get the sky (with the sun) which occupy a significant area of the photo, properly exposed. As mentioned, what you see isn't really what the camera capture as there is a significant difference in dynamic range of the two that is able to capture.

What you can do is just take nice photo of the silhouette or try to get the shot when the sun still very very low in the horizon or use the method above or use flash (if possible) or use reflector (if possible) or move yourself so the object will be front lit by the sun or you can compensate to have the subject correctly exposed with the sky blown or meter the exposure on the subject and have the sky blown or wait for an extremely hazy morning or evening....etc

Last edited:
yups HDR is something fun to play with :)

I'm using nikon 7000.

Thanks.

Use fill light if the foreground object is near to the camera....

Yh get some basic filters like UV/CPL filters, these two filters can stop some light
Please explain how you would use these filters in this situation :) Especially what you expect from the UV filter.

the UV filter are use as protective filter, serve no purpose,

the polarizing filter work best when the sun is perpendicular with lens axis, it can cut down some light but it is on overall area, it will not help here.

basically for Sunrise and sunset shots, more like silhouette photos, you need to find suitable subjects to give the interesting outline.

some thing like these,

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0754.jpg

DSC_2691_cs.jpg

if you need to let the foreground have details, you can look for natural fill, like tall trees behind you, or use ND graduate filters,
or photoshop it
but personally, I rather to leave it dark if the foreground is not interesting.

hope this help.

It doesn't work in many many situations, especially with odd-shaped transitions (eg. cityscape, architectural, etc)

that i understand, but referring to the topic from TS "Sunrise and sunset" as general, i think GND is pretty much necessary.
If the question was cityscape/buildings appearing too dark, then i'd agree that GND would unlikely to work.

that i understand, but referring to the topic from TS "Sunrise and sunset" as general, i think GND is pretty much necessary.
If the question was cityscape/buildings appearing too dark, then i'd agree that GND would unlikely to work.

Agree with your point.
Though your statement wasn't entirely clear in the first place. "Sunrise and sunset" is rather general, and could encompass a cityscape during that timing, in which case a GND is not quite "pretty much necessary".

:)

Last edited:
well...there are usually more than 1 way to take a picture, depending on the desired output...
I prefer to think and plan before I go out to shoot, think about the subject, background, weather, equipment, etc...

Plain sunset/sunrise scenery, i'd bring GND.
Portrait with sunset backdrop, bring external flash and reflectors?
maybe silhouette if i don't have the accessories.

for ZerocoolAstra's case, i rather just take silhouette, since i don't do HDR and don't like pp.

ya but then how do you deal with the GND transition line not coinciding with the buildings?

I will still use GND if I want to keep the buildings in silhouette :p

I don't think GND will work nicely, unless there is a foreground infront of the building?
i'd usually rather just take silhouette without GND even with foreground tho...

Last edited:
ZerocoolAstra said:
ya but then how do you deal with the GND transition line not coinciding with the buildings?

Pull my GND lower. Keep transition line on the horizon. The whole idea why I would do this is becos I'm gonna leave everything above the horizon in black while able to darken the sky behind it. Of cos, this is assuming there's nothing else that I also need to darken below the horizon.

I also dun mean it works out every time in scenes with building. But I'll try if possible.

Last edited:
well...there are usually more than 1 way to take a picture, depending on the desired output...
I prefer to think and plan before I go out to shoot, think about the subject, background, weather, equipment, etc...

Plain sunset/sunrise scenery, i'd bring GND.
Portrait with sunset backdrop, bring external flash and reflectors?
maybe silhouette if i don't have the accessories.

for ZerocoolAstra's case, i rather just take silhouette, since i don't do HDR and don't like pp.

I don't think GND will work nicely, unless there is a foreground infront of the building?
i'd usually rather just take silhouette without GND even with foreground tho...

But many buildings (especially in densely built-up Singapore) don't look nice as silhouettes. Ends up just as one black mess. It will detract from the photo, no matter how beautiful the sunset/sunrise is ;)