Sunrise and Sunset photography for newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

guna09

Sep 23, 2008
Hougang
Hi,

I am relatively new in this aspect of photography. I've been researching on this but i feel that the information i got was not very helpful. I need help. :(

Thank you very muchie.

How about looking into the respective sub forums (landscape)? What information are you missing?

Last edited:
Hi,

A better answer would require a better question.

You say you need help, but in what? what's is the problem?

Patient: "Doctor Doctor, I'm sick, please help."
Doctor: "What's the problem?"
Patient: "I need help"
Doctor: ????????

Hi,

A better answer would require a better question.

You say you need help, but in what? what's is the problem?

Patient: "Doctor Doctor, I'm sick, please help."
Doctor: "What's the problem?"
Patient: "I need help"
Doctor: ????????

If the patient is a mute?? How eh???? :confused:

Sorry guys, my mistake. I am not too sure what are the settings that should be used for taking sunrise and sunset photography. I am using Nikon D70s. I wanna learn what kinda ISO, shutter speed, metering and Aperture to use for these kinda shots.

I've tried but i've miserably failed.:(

Sorry guys, my mistake. I am not too sure what are the settings that should be used for taking sunrise and sunset photography. I am using Nikon D70s. I wanna learn what kinda ISO, shutter speed, metering and Aperture to use for these kinda shots. (

Maybe you can post examples?

What probably messed you up is the metering. Try to meter without the sun being in the picture. Then bracket your exposure. After a while you will get a feel of how much EC to dial in.

Sorry guys, my mistake. I am not too sure what are the settings that should be used for taking sunrise and sunset photography. I am using Nikon D70s. I wanna learn what kinda ISO, shutter speed, metering and Aperture to use for these kinda shots.

first thing you must understand what is exposure.

the exposure of sunrise, sunset keep changing, so no point to tell you shoot at what f stop and speed.

second, learn how to take meter reading, if you don't bother to learn how the camera meter works and just try to shoot with programe or auto mode, you will never understand how does it work even you happen to get some shot correct.

all these info can easily obtain from the basic photography books in national library.

tell you what metering method or setting to you is just like tell you copying answers from behind of the assessment books. you can get 100 marks, but will never learn much things.

Thanks for the advice guys.... Appreciate it alot

Post one of your pictures with EXIF data intact. Tell us what you intended to capture and what you have done (tripod/hand held, filter / no filter). Without this we cannot give any reasonable advice apart from what catchlights has mentioned. My crystal ball is for cleaning service...

there are no magic settings.

no one can tell you, input iso 100, f/22 and 1/10 seconds and poof, you will get the best sunset picture ever.

the light changes, situations change, purposes change. learn from scratch what exposure is, play with your camera to understand how the camera sees things, and put yourself into the camera's shoes.

the sunset/sunrise timings usually, usually require a wide dynamic range, that might be a problem for newcomers to photography. google "graduated neutral density filter" and "high dynamic range imaging" to find out more.

exploring photography by yourself is one of the most fun things to do. asking for magic settings, and indirectly asking to be spoonfed, even though that might not seem to be your purpose (even to you).. that is not fun, and that will not get you anywhere in the long run.

Maybe we could suggest a good location for sunset or sunrise photography in singapore...

I'm also planning to try sunrise photography and was looking at a good place to try it.

Maybe we could suggest a good location for sunset or sunrise photography in singapore...

I'm also planning to try sunrise photography and was looking at a good place to try it.
the best place is near where you stay,

shoot sunrise sunset near your place, till you understand more and have confident, so will not waste time go to a location and ka lang ka bo set up for sunrise sunset.

the best place is near where you stay,

shoot sunrise sunset near your place, till you understand more and have confident, so will not waste time go to a location and ka lang ka bo set up for sunrise sunset.

What is "ka lang ka bo"? sorry, not from SG. :D

changi beach

any reservoir

merlion park, city hall areas

anywhere else, really. anywhere's great so long as you don't mind hdb blocks

changi beach

any reservoir

merlion park, city hall areas

anywhere else, really. anywhere's great so long as you don't mind hdb blocks

west coast park, labrador park. The latter would give you a decent time to practice, given the day isn't cloudy. Anyway post a few pics, with exif, that you tried and "miserably" failed so someone will tell you what went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.