SunPro brand of filters - anyone tried?

photoboffin

Oct 16, 2011
Hi,

Last weekend, I visited several camera stores downtown looking for filters and kept coming across a brand called SunPro supposedly made in Japan. When I googled it, I couldn't find anything. Anyone out there tried this brand and if you did, could you please share your opinion about it?

Thanks.

photoboffin

A lot of brands claim to be made in japan or Germany. But these brands are owned by local companies. Some are barely ok, some are terrible.

When in doubt, assume the worst.

Nowadays the word goes: If Google does not know about it it doesn't exist. Be careful with all funky names and claims by sales men. We have a Filter guide for your reference. Happy reading :)

I normally don't trust a brand/product if it don't come out the top 5 in Google.

photoboffin said:
Hi,

Last weekend, I visited several camera stores downtown looking for filters and kept coming across a brand called SunPro supposedly made in Japan. When I googled it, I couldn't find anything. Anyone out there tried this brand and if you did, could you please share your opinion about it?

Thanks.

photoboffin

Personally I took a risk and bought a CPL filter called Massa brand. Never heard of it. It's cheap and I'm not disappointed with the results.

If it's an unknown brand, make sure the price must be cheap for u to take a risk. Otherwise, don't waste your $.

Anyone heard of Massa before?

michaelwks said:
Made In China. Very cheap with standard build quality. It is popular over ebay store. As well as JYC, Tianya, Citiwide.

Ok. I bought it for 18 bucks.

18 bucks for standard quality is good enough.

Kenko one cost $68, and the quality may not be very different....

I'm using SunPro Digital Slim UV Filter on my 18-135mm, I bought it a orient photo for reasonable price and I'm using it for quite awhile now, seems ok. I have no complain, very easy to clean smudges, protects my Kit II since day one.

Thank you all for your comments. I was looking at the SunPro fader ND filter and CPL. Prices are lower compared to the established brands if buying over the counter in Sg but I can get the established brands for the same price if I order online. I did some test shots at the shops and they seemed ok. Just wanted to hear first hand from people who have bought this brand.

I found another mention of SunPro and on ClubSNAP forum no less. Its at:
Forum>Personal Classifieds>Buy/Sell: Nikon Equipment>WTSell: Accessory - Nikon Sunpro slim CPL Filter 52mm.
(I can't post hyperlinks as I am a newbie)

But so far, nothing outside of Sg. It could be a local branding of an OEM product.

Last edited:
michaelwks said:
Get It frm online store? Comparing the price, it abit costly with $18 for massa.

That's a CPL filter, not UV

michaelwks said:
Yes. Online maybe cost abt $12-15. For UV just below $5 size frm 49mm - 82mm.

Ok la. Price about there lah. Online still must pay for shipping right?

So long it gives some standard quality, happy liao. Let me dig out some pics taken with the filter and post here for comments

photoboffin said:
Hi,

Thanks.

photoboffin

Never heard of it. Suggest to avoid.

donut88 said:
Ok la. Price about there lah. Online still must pay for shipping right?

So long it gives some standard quality, happy liao. Let me dig out some pics taken with the filter and post here for comments

I'm not a fan of any filters.. But cheaper filters are usually not that bad for normal use.. But when it comes to issues of ghosting and flaring, there will be a difference made. Like I always say though, quality comes at an exponential price.

Hi,

Thanks.

photoboffin
Nv heard of this brand.. You can try though.. But i wont take the risk.. to be on the safer side you might as well just get well known brands like (Pls refer to newbie filter guide thread).

But when it comes to issues of ghosting and flaring, there will be a difference made. Like I always say though, quality comes at an exponential price.

i concur.

buy cheap filters, it may works well in the day time, but comes night time, ghosting/flaring is very apparent.

look at this 3rd photo from this thread:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-city-scapes-travel/988034-kim-seng-park.html

If u look around the center part of the photo, u see some green color lights (which we call ghosting).

I am not sure which filter that TS is using, but a good way to tell is to use the filter in the evening, all flaws will come out.

sinned79 said:
i concur.

buy cheap filters, it may works well in the day time, but comes night time, ghosting/flaring is very apparent.

look at this 3rd photo from this thread:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/land-city-scapes-travel/988034-kim-seng-park.html

If u look around the center part of the photo, u see some green color lights (which we call ghosting).

I am not sure which filter that TS is using, but a good way to tell is to use the filter in the evening, all flaws will come out.

But aren't we all removing UV filters for night shots?

But aren't we all removing UV filters for night shots?

not all ppl will remove their filters for night shoot.

using good quality UV filter, i dun need to worry about such problems.

so far i dun have these problems for my B+W filters, although it cost more. usually i still put on filters when i do night shoots, all the photos still turn out ok.

Thank you all for your comments. I was looking at the SunPro fader ND filter and CPL. Prices are lower compared to the established brands if buying over the counter in Sg but I can get the established brands for the same price if I order online. I did some test shots at the shops and they seemed ok. Just wanted to hear first hand from people who have bought this brand.

Forum>Personal Classifieds>Buy/Sell: Nikon Equipment>WTSell: Accessory - Nikon Sunpro slim CPL Filter 52mm.

But so far, nothing outside of Sg. It could be a local branding of an OEM product.

I just saw one today at Peninsula. was quoted $80, didn't bother bargaining cos I hadn't even heard of the brand... spend that kind of money might as well buy one from hongkong for 33SGD (check ebay: nd fader | eBay)

If you do try, let me know!!! Cos it's like $200-300 cheaper than a respectable one...

it is definitely not made by nikon. the TS of that thread probably anyhow hamtam.

I also saw this filter today at peninsula. SunPro ND filter can change upton ND400 t around $70
Intend to buy a ND filter for outdoor shoots where it is very bright.
I have never bought a ND filter, is this one good?

Normally ND filters allow shifting from ND2 to ND400?