Sunpak 120J Parabolic Reflector Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojan

Jul 2, 2004
Hi,

Lost my manual and I'd forgotten how to use it. Can anyone here help?
I'd like to use it on my Minolta SLR. :dunno:

Cheers,

Trojan

Hi,

What do you want to know specifically? Yours is TTL type or non-TTL?

You have to set the ISO first so that same with your film. Then set to Auto mode correpsonding to the aperture you want to use.

Hi dreamseeker,

Thanks for your reply. Mine is non-TTL.
What mode would my camera have to be in?
Say, I am using ISO 200 film and the flash shows 3 usable aperture: 16, 11 and 8.
If I choose F/8, my camera aperture must be at f/8 right?
What speed my my camera setting be if it is capable of synching up to 1/250 sec?

Regards,

Trojan

Hi Trojan,

You can use M or aperture priority mode.

You will have to set the same aperture on your cam corresponding to the aperture you selected on the flash. So f8 on flash & f8 on cam.

If you use aperture priority mode, you will have to watch your shutter speed so that it doesnt exceed 1/250.

If you use manual mode, the shutter speed you choose would depend on the type of shots you want. Slow shutter speed for more background or fast shutter speed if you hand hold and less cam shake.

I normally select 1/125 to 1/200 for fast shutter or 1/60 to 1/30 for slow provided you can hand-hold or on tripod.

BTW, where did you get your 120J from? It is very rare to find this flash if you are in Singapore.

CHeers!

Hi dreamseeker,

Thank you for the 120J instructions. I got the flash many years ago from the shop opposite Cathay Photo operated by 3 nice gentlemen...Nelson, Lim and the other person I can't recall.

Trojan

Seems like I am not the only guy with this flash. It is really value for money. If you want, I will try to dig out my instructions and pass you a copy.

I got mine specially ordered from Japan. Nobody carries them anymore as far as I know.

Seems like you have not use your flash for donkey years. :)

Trojan said:
Hi dreamseeker,

Thank you for the 120J instructions. I got the flash many years ago from the shop opposite Cathay Photo operated by 3 nice gentlemen...Nelson, Lim and the other person I can't recall.

Trojan

Hi dreamseeker,

I got inspired by Monte Zucker backlight portraiture photography and got the flash. Get plenty of stares and questions whenever I use the 120J on a flash bracket.

I am waiting for the manual to be sent to me. If they don't turn up, I will look you up again, okay? BTW, what kind of picture do you take with the 120J.

Trojan

Hi Trojan,

I was also inspired by the Monte Zucker too. But I think he uses the Q-flash from Quantum which is very expensive considering need to buy batt pack too.

I checked the net and seems like the 120J is the only other flash with a parabolic reflector and Sunpak also makes this flash for Hassy. Only the Hassy badge has better finishing etc.

Thats why I bought this flash. Didnt want to spent big bucks on a flash as I seldom do flash photography.

i used it to cover a event for a friend and for the occasional home party. Manage to do a ROM for friend once too.

Would like to use it for portraiture soon as that's where I got my inspiration from.

Let me know if you dont get your manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.