Sunny 16 Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipfreak

Nov 26, 2007
Singapore
www.rogerchua.com
Basic Daylight Exposure Guide

BDE, exposure is relative to the distance from the BDE which remains constant. Computation of exposure is easy, the proper f/stop will be f/16 (sunny 16 rule) when using a film speed approximate to your shuuter speed. As an example:

Film Speed is 200, your shutterspeed will be 1/250 at f/16. Film speed rated at 64, your shutterspeed will be 1/60 at f/16. The same would apply to a film speed of 125, your shutterspeed will be 1/125. As another example, take the later film speed of 125, and these exposures would be the equivalents: 1/125 @ f/16; 1/250 @ f/11; 1/500@ f/8; 1/2000 @ f/4; 1/60 @ f/22

Why bother when

A. It's near impossible to buy a camera without a meter these days;

B. 99% of those here don't even know what film is, let alone film speed.

C. Worse, they look upon those still using film as "brave", wasting money, quaint, stupid or crazy.

Basic Daylight Exposure Guide

BDE, exposure is relative to the distance from the BDE which remains constant. Computation of exposure is easy, the proper f/stop will be f/16 (sunny 16 rule) when using a film speed approximate to your shuuter speed. As an example:

Film Speed is 200, your shutterspeed will be 1/250 at f/16. Film speed rated at 64, your shutterspeed will be 1/60 at f/16. The same would apply to a film speed of 125, your shutterspeed will be 1/125. As another example, take the later film speed of 125, and these exposures would be the equivalents: 1/125 @ f/16; 1/250 @ f/11; 1/500@ f/8; 1/2000 @ f/4; 1/60 @ f/22

Last edited:
Why bother when

True. But there are people still using and buying up cameras without or unable to meter.

i think 99% is greatly exaggerated. :D

Why bother when

C. Worse, they look upon those still using film as "brave", wasting money, quaint, stupid or crazy.
A) Better than having to depend on your camera's internal meter, where there can be variation from camera to camera. Or worse, having to depend on a metering system with a tendency to over/under expose.

B) Everyone using a camera, film or digital, should know what is ISO.

C) ISO applies to digital too, in case you weren't aware.

many years ago, in a local photography forum, some people were commenting "Sunny 16 Rule" was not accurate, and it is useless, wasn't able to get the correct setting state.

later I found out those people who make such comments are people can't differential what is sunny day and what is cloudy day.

Last edited:
many years ago, in a local photography forum, some people were commenting "Sunny 16 Rule" was not accurate, and it is useless, wasn't able to get the correct setting state.

later I found out those people who make such comments are people can't differential what is sunny day and what is cloudy day.

i think gauging by the shadows cast is quite accurate right? :dunno::dunno::dunno:

:bsmilie: This is a nice catch, I bet they are stumped when being found out that they can't differentiate between sun and clouds.

flipfreak,

Thanks for sharing this info. For a newbie like me, I'm having a hard time trying to shoot in the bright sunny day. Another knowledge gained, and now to put the knowledge to my clicking sessions. *But it's cloudy and rainy recently :cry:*

NovJoe.

Why bother when

How about a Holga, for instance? I relied on this rule when I shot with a little Holga sometime back.

:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

The sunny 16 rule is useful for taking pictures of the full moon too. DSLRs metering are easily fooled in such situations, especially if you do not zoom in close enough.

A) Better than having to depend on your camera's internal meter, where there can be variation from camera to camera. Or worse, having to depend on a metering system with a tendency to over/under expose.

True.. and a lot don't really understand the relationship of the f-stop and shutter speeds..

B) Everyone using a camera, film or digital, should know what is ISO.

C) ISO applies to digital too, in case you weren't aware.

aka ASA. Many think ISO are only for digital

yar loh!

many also think only guys wear skirts

The sunny 16 rule is useful for taking pictures of the full moon too. DSLRs metering are easily fooled in such situations, especially if you do not zoom in close enough.

I heard they call it moony 11 instead. Same rules but aperture at ƒ/11. But then some people are going to be unable to differentiate cloud cover from clear sky again....

Why bother when

4/5 of my lens do not autofocus or meter on my dslr. I use them because of the price, wide aperture and performance over modern consumer lens.

F/16, 1/ISO shutter speed..

But now a days just snap and look, overexposed adjust according lo.

True.. and a lot don't really understand the relationship of the f-stop and shutter speeds..

aka ASA. Many think ISO are only for digital

:thumbsup:
Many dont know the relationship between speed, aperture and ISO.
Many didnt think and know what result they wanted before they shot.

They say photoshop lor.....:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.