Sungei Buloh; first attempt at nature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mar 3, 2004
Just some newbie snapshots to share with the nature lovers here. :)

Sungei Buloh Gallery

Really wish i have the money to buy a better longer lens like sigma 50-500 and a better body. :confused:
Sigh....consumer zooms just cannot cut it. Really impressed with the other pics found in this nature forum. :thumbsup:

Anyway, when will the BIG migratory birds be coming?
I need them to be BIG, else can't shoot with my lousy hardware.

You guys know where can I go to shoot nature? Actually no need as much variety as SBWR, just not so many mosquitoes. I literally needed to drench myself with Autan insect repellent before they stopped landing on my arms! ;(

ccplim said:
Nice series! :thumbsup: Love the close up and landscape shots!

Thanks. The B+W landscape ones with very high contrast are actually near-IR shots.

2100 said:
You guys know where can I go to shoot nature? Actually no need as much variety as SBWR, just not so many mosquitoes. I literally needed to drench myself with Autan insect repellent before they stopped landing on my arms! ;(

I would be interested to know the answers too ;)

I don't mean to be philosophical here, but since you don't want to have the mossies and you don't mind lesser varieties compared to Buloh, then really... nature is all around us.... we just need to use our senses more often. Keen eye and alert ears will usually do the trick.

Dedicated places to view nature would be the Nparks.

Keeping away from loud groups of people will help alot too!

Good luck.

Nice attempts, you have some nice shots for a start :)

There are some residential raptors in Singapore like the White-bellied sea Eagle, Black-shouldered Kite and Brahminy Kite. Perhaps you will like to try these out.

Getting insect bite is part-and-parcel of nature photography, I think you shouldn't get overly upset about it. Places like the Botanical Gardens and Mandai Orchid Garden are good locations for a start. Keep shooting! ;)

2100 said:
There are many places you can go to shoot nature subjects. The NParks (SBG, Marina South Park etc.) and places like Mandai Orchid Gardens are good places to start practicing. There, it is possible to get within reach of smaller birds like sunbirds, kingfishers, magpie robin etc. with good practice, patience and technique. Your 50-500 is a very good lens, do keep it. Longer and faster lenses can be had but at a much higher price and are bigger and heavier too. Check out the excellent shots made here by MadCat II using the 50-500.

Good attempts you have there, including the birds in flight. Keep it up and do keep shooting. ;)

Erm...Garion I don't have the 50-500. I'm using Sigma 70-200+2xTC and my 85mm prime.:)

Nice attempts, you have some nice shots for a start :)

There are some residential raptors in Singapore like the White-bellied sea Eagle, Black-shouldered Kite and Brahminy Kite. Perhaps you will like to try these out.

Getting insect bite is part-and-parcel of nature photography, I think you shouldn't get overly upset about it. Places like the Botanical Gardens and Mandai Orchid Garden are good locations for a start. Keep shooting! ;)

Mandai Orchid Gdn, if i am not wrong it's on the opp side of Singapore Zoo right? I think i went past it last month a couple of times on the 5-tonner during reservist. I read some articles on the net that one should remain still and not make noise, must have patience etc so as to have a higher chance of getting the shots. So i did that and really lun all the mosquitoes. But it can get very very irritating when they come close to your ears and start buzzing around. I'd stop for at least 30min at a particular location or OP.

I don't get it, the mosquitoes in Gambas, Sembawang are afraid of insect repellent (Autan, by Bayer).....once they land on my skin and they will bounce off immediately. These mosquitoes from SBWR are really commando, anybody knows? Too hungry? :bsmilie: My arms were literally drenched and so wet with the repellent that it shines before the mosquitoes stopped landing.

Next time i will just wear a long sleve shirt + tower over the neck.

Garion said:
Your 50-500 is a very good lens, do keep it. Longer and faster lenses can be had but at a much higher price and are bigger and heavier too. Check out the excellent shots made here by MadCat II using the 50-500.

Good attempts you have there, including the birds in flight. Keep it up and do keep shooting. ;)

Thanks. Actually, i don't have sigma 50-500, i am wishing to have that lens. I only shot with a sigma 70-300 APO Macro Super II.

2100 said:
Anyway, when will the BIG migratory birds be coming?
I need them to be BIG, else can't shoot with my lousy hardware.
Nice shots! :thumbsup:

My equipment is even worse than yours... the one time I went to SBWR, I was restricted to shooting animals and plants I could get close to. Didn't get any close ups of birds.

Hmmm... the migratory birds - big and small - should be here during the northern hemisphere winter months, i.e. end of the year. According to the SBWR website, September to March.

Errr... actually, the herons are quite big and they are SBWR 'residents'... In fact, come to think of it, don't think the most of the migratory birds are that big...

Could be wrong lah, I'm no nature expert. :p

acroamatic said:
Errr... actually, the herons are quite big and they are SBWR 'residents'... In fact, come to think of it, don't think the most of the migratory birds are that big...

Yup, herons. Have one in my gallery. Actually i saw the pair flying together, but could only shoot one.

:thumbsup:
I LOVE the IR shots. What filter did you use? R72 HOYA?

Spyder_Web said:
When is the best time to shoot at SBWR?
Early bird catches the worm, i guess. It opens at 7.30 during weekdays and Sat, 7AM on Sun.

I went at 7AM, Sunday. But on Sunday there will be more people, so may scare off the birds from the trails.

Adiemus said:
:thumbsup:
I LOVE the IR shots. What filter did you use? R72 HOYA?

Yup, R72. But i really pumped up the contrast via curves, S-curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.