[SunChasersSG] Newbies Outing (Part 22) - Sunrise @ The Promontory 4th Dec 2010

Hi guys, a question from newbie.

At Last Sat's outing, I understood that using a wide angle lens is a good one to shoot from the bridge. How about Promontory area?

your kit lens is enough to get MBS in.. but having a UWA will be nicer...

With 11mm this is what I was able to capture:
5185831699_780516f53e.jpg

Hello, I put my name first... I will confirm tonight.
My Dad is outstation from tomorrow and will check with him later. Thanks:embrass:

You cannot put your name as newbie alrdy lah. Must be Independent or Senior. But since Independent is full, guess you know where you belong... ;)

Hi guys, a question from newbie.

At Last Sat's outing, I understood that using a wide angle lens is a good one to shoot from the bridge. How about Promontory area?

it depends on what are the things you want to fit into a frame. I even did a vertical shot at 18mm. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4652261360_0786f85256.jpg
What I can suggest is to look at all the available photo on the internet, look at their composition and check their exif data to see at which focal length it was shot at. This way you can know for sure whether you need one.

Last edited:
How much is it? if budget allow, I go to buy one:)

Tokina 11-16mm/2.8 cost around 900-950 new. You can get a used one around 700-800.

Or consider the Sigma 10-20mm or Tokina 12-24mm if your budget is a little tighter.

it depends on what are the things you want to fit into a frame. I even did a vertical shot at 18mm. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4007/4652261360_0786f85256.jpg
What I can suggest is to look at all the available photo on the internet, look at their composition and check their exif data to see at which focal length it was shot at. This way you can know for sure whether you need one.

This is a good suggestion. I will do that. Can learn composistion.

uma is a lens, not a filter?

Sorry i might asking stupid question, forgive a newbie. I actually googled "uma", can't find...

becos it is uwa....Ultra Wide Angle Lens

UMA - Ultra Man Angles Lens :bsmilie:

uma is a lens, not a filter?

Sorry i might asking stupid question, forgive a newbie. I actually googled "uma", can't find...

bro... it is UWA....

Ultra Wide Angle Lens...

just check with MS color

tokina 11-16mm/2.8: $950
sigma 10-20mm: $910

there are 2 versions of sigma 10-20mm bro...

one is sigma 10-20mm/3.5 (you probably got quoted for this one)

the other is sigma 10-20mm/4-5.6

I got poison!!! Still thinking buy prime lens, then filters... Haven't buy dry cabinet yet. What else??:think:

Get the dry cabinet first, then think about the rest.

Bro, can't help out this round due to ICT :(

Master ZCA said if I only got one body and one kit lens, not need buy dry cabinet!! If I go out shoot everyday, dry cabinet will be empty most of time. hehe.

just get a small dry box first. Cheap and good. Around $25-35.
You can do quite a lot with your kit lens for the time being.

Master ZCA said if I only got one body and one kit lens, not need buy dry cabinet!! If I go out shoot everyday, dry cabinet will be empty most of time. hehe.

oh ya hor. You can go shoot sunrise every morning... So good!

oh ya hor. You can go shoot sunrise every morning... So good!

:) i stay at Katib, walking distance to Lower Seletar Reservoir. So if can wake up, will shoot sunrise as much as possible. dd123 said this is the favarate place to shoot. I am lucky.