Sunblock for photographers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
What is the most popular sunblock cream that recommended by outdoor photographers? Or do they make a special formula sunblock cream for outdoor photographers?
I did a few outdoor shoots recently, and always kanna the roasted duck skin effect after the shoots, very painful the morning after...

wear a good hat, it also acts as a sun shade for the LCD
I don't think you would want to get the grease on your equipment

Astin said:
What is the most popular sunblock cream that recommended by outdoor photographers? Or do they make a special formula sunblock cream for outdoor photographers?
I did a few outdoor shoots recently, and always kanna the roasted duck skin effect after the shoots, very painful the morning after...

Which part of your body are u talking about?
Face, arms, legs?
Use SPF 50+ should be okay.
and wear Sleeves! :sticktong

i dont use sunblock

a hat will be sufficient

I tried put on a hat, but it only block the sun from above, do not block the sunlight from below reflected by sea, sand, pavement etc.
I tried wear long sleeve, but it is so hot inside and uncomfortable.
I ended up sunburn on my nose, sideways of my face, upper arms.
Someone got to invent a grease-less and sticky-less sunblock for outdoor photographers, we will pay good money to buy it...

try a scarf

burn on arms is minor but if u must, try a dri-fit longsleeve shirt available from trekking stores

Astin said:
I tried put on a hat, but it only block the sun from above, do not block the sunlight from below reflected by sea, sand, pavement etc.
Someone got to invent a grease-less and sticky-less sunblock for outdoor photographers, we will pay good money to buy it...

Get ur old T-shirts and make an extra long sleeves. When u are done shooting can take them off.
Go to Clarins counter, their stuffs are not that oily.
they have a good product for the face... :lovegrin:

yes kudos for the inventer of the dry-tech material
bought a nike golf polo just for shooting

you can also look at the construction industry for their solution to this problem :)

i used sunplay and hamiltons when on expedition in the surin islands. for the 21 day trip, i was burnt to a lobster on the very first day. luckily the peeps on my team had sunblock and aftersun lotion.
i prefer sunplay cuz it's non greasy. but it's expensive tho.

yep yep. i like sunplay too. i use the SPF50 sunplay. it works perfectly for me. no more burns and no greasiness. used to hate sun block cos of the uncomfortable layer of grease. :p

Recommend you get a broad spectrum suncreen that has one of the following as an active ingredient - titanium dioxide, zinc oxide or butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane. This will ensure you not only get protection from UVB rays, but also adequate protection from UVA rays.

Sorry, growing up in Aus - I've had the sun smart thing drilled into me. hehe.

Astin said:

Wah, if you get sunburn just by the reflected rays and not the direct ray, that means that your exposure is "excessive" or overblown. Frankly, you cannot be shooting or working in the sun for 8 hr or more non-stop. Learn how to "take cover" whenever possible. Those who have done NS know this term so very well. :bsmilie: :cool:

A doc advice - protect your eyes with a good pair of sunglass that has got good UV protection too. More so for photogs!!! :thumbsup: :bigeyes:

eh
i wear a singlet when shooting outdoors.... and i dun get peeling skin...u get into the sun more often...ya skin will build up a resistance against peeling... (simply put...thick skin ahhaah)

u bua a lot of guyu when u go under the sun issit? hahaha..

Go swimming build up a tan, makes one look more macho and sporty and also won't get so much skin peeling.

itchy said:
Go swimming build up a tan, makes one look more macho and sporty and also won't get so much skin peeling.

yeah man tt's the way....

... and skin cancer's on the way as well ... :(

Don't take unnecessary risks, do wear sunscreen.

In any case, to answer Astin's original question, what's good is a sunscreen that's effective (SPF 50+) and non-oily (so you don't have greasy fingers) ... I bought one from Japan years ago, Coppertone brand, meant for kids, and it was very good. Unfortunately I could not find the exact same one here, but do a search around the supermarkets and pharmacies and you may find something similar (perhaps look for the ones meant for kids).

The other thing that others have advised are a good hat with a wide brim, sunglasses, and proper clothing. Go to golf stores and take a look, there's a reason that golfers can wear long sleeved polo shirts without keeling over from heat exhaustion ... the materials used ensure proper ventilation without exposing skin to sun.

I saw a public-service commercial on Aussie TV many many many years ago, and it still pops up every now and again in my head ... "Slip, Slop, Slap ... slip on a shirt, slop on sunscreen and slap on a hat" ... :bsmilie:

SAF long 4 :bsmilie: skin protected but i think you will be soaking wet :think:

itchy said:
Haha, 20 years ago when I was much younger, I went swimming almost everyday, got suntan and muscle build up, now I am much older, I swim very infrequently, and the muscle all go behind the tummy liao...

SAF long 4 sounds liek good idea esp for outdoor nature shoot.. cos of mozzies.. hey saf spend so much money must be some good yeah?
haha but i dunno leh anyone got caught before wearing saf unform outside of armY?

Status
Not open for further replies.