Sunbird outside my balcony

Status
Not open for further replies.

F2point8

Sep 25, 2007
Upp Bt Timah
Two cute Olive Backed Sunbirds decided to make my balcony their home. They started to build their nest at the bamboo plant outside my balcony.
3202967495_5b00dfa22c_o.jpg

3204001386_42e5f6c75c_o.jpg

Photo taken inside my house and behind the lightly tinted glass sliding door so as not to disturb and scare them away. Setting: ISO 100, 200mm, f4.5, 1/400s on tripod.

Most pictures turn out to be not as sharp and colour not as rich. Wonder any advice how to take good pictures in this kind of situation? I am sure they will return tomorrow so more chances to capture them.

Thanks.
Ray

Last edited:
Congrats! They are building a nest. Don't worry, so long as they are not spook, you will have the chance to witness a family of sunbirds in a month or two :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Newguy69. I felt blessed as well..
but any advice?

Oh, aren't they such darlings?

Thanks. They are such sweet creatures... Love them!

Here is another one cropped at 100% and sharpened, levelled with PS CS3.

3203027613_ec9b29f3ba_o.jpg

Thanks, Newguy69. I felt blessed as well..
but any advice?

Here are what you can try:
- use Aperture Prioxity mode ISO 400 to 800, stop down to f8, play with the ev to get a proper exposure. If you have a longer lens that would the better. For this situation, using flash is not advisable. Remember to focus on the head of the birds. Happy birding.

Last edited:
They look sooooooooo cute in the 2nd pic.

Here are what you can try:
- use Aperture Prioxity mode ISO 400 to 800, stop down to f8, play with the ev to get a proper exposure. If you have a longer lens that would the better. For this situation, using flash is not advisable. Remember to focus on the head of the birds. Happy birding.

And not to forget spot metering, works well for me.

Newguy69, thanks. Will try it tomorrow.
Hi Pearlang, I can see you like the birds.... Hope to bring more to you.
Cheers.

Hi Dawson,
I did use spot metering but I guess not well enough. Thanks all the same.

Newguy69, thanks. Will try it tomorrow.
Hi Pearlang, I can see you like the birds.... Hope to bring more to you.
Cheers.

Yes, I like birds very much.

Had my first birdie, a mata puteh, when I was 5 years old. Throughout the years, I've had many pet birds, amongst them, a brown talking minah bird who spoke English and could even swear in Hokkien. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I stopped keeping birds as pets about 7 years ago and released all of the birds. I feel that birds, being born free, should stay free.

Yes, I like birds very much.

Had my first birdie, a mata puteh, when I was 5 years old. Throughout the years, I've had many pet birds, amongst them, a brown talking minah bird who spoke English and could even swear in Hokkien. :bsmilie::bsmilie:

I stopped keeping birds as pets about 7 years ago and released all of the birds. I feel that birds, being born free, should stay free.

Interesting! I agree with you totally that one should not confine birds to their cages. :nono:They should be able to fly and roam freely.

Interesting! I agree with you totally that one should not confine birds to their cages. :nono:They should be able to fly and roam freely.

Hope to see more pics from you.

Haha. So are you going to invite all of us here to your house this Chinese New Year for a photo session?:bsmilie:

Hope these birds bring you and your family good luck this coming new year.

So F2point8, do you have more pics to update us? I was waiting to see more shots.. :)

F2point8,
lucky you

Hi tanhb, trident and tokrot

Thanks alot for your interest... Sure love to have you guys coming to visit the birds or me??

Unfortunately, we are all going back to Malaysia for CNY and back only 3rd day of CNY. So if you are interested, come down on 24 Jan (Sat) or 25 (Sun).. I am sure still have some beers and new year goodies to share.. all clubsnapper welcome. Give me a buzz if you are really interested. BTW, I live near to Upp Bt Timah Courts Furniture.

Took more photos yesterday but cannot upload to Flickr hosting my photos as I reached my 200 free upload liao.. May have to find other hosting site so I can post more photos.

Will update on this thread the progress.
Happy Early CNY greetings to all.

Raymond.

Raymond,

Thank you very much for your warm invitation. May be next time if there is any chance we can go shoot bird together. Have to give it a miss this CNY as already have program planned.

Cheers. ;)
Hwee Boon

Raymond,

Thank you very much for your warm invitation. May be next time if there is any chance we can go shoot bird together. Have to give it a miss this CNY as already have program planned.

Cheers. ;)
Hwee Boon

Hi Hwee Boon,
No problem. Sure look forward to the session.
These few photos were taken yesterday (Day 3). See the progress they had made. Not much but still good busy day for them.
IMG_0046ss.jpg

#2 (Sorry , #2,#3 all taken with strong lights behind)
IMG_0176ss.jpg

IMG_0237ss.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.