Sunbird outside my balcony

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow!lucky you
you'll be able to shoot sunbirds out of your window!:D

Hi Redsun

Ya, I thought I was blessed too. Just bought 4D last weekends so far never strike yet. Will keep trying. Mine is ground floor unit : 01-02 . Huat, everyone huat ah.....

These are better shots despite the strong blacklit. Do keep us posted about the progress of the couple. Thanks for sharing and Happy CNY to you, Raymond :)

Nice! Unique oppertunity to document the building a nest and raising of chicks right at your door step!

These are better shots despite the strong blacklit. Do keep us posted about the progress of the couple. Thanks for sharing and Happy CNY to you, Raymond :)

Hi Newguy69
Thanks ... I did use your advice (f8.0 and ISO 400, some with +0.67EV) and some shots came out better.

EvilMerlin
True, if only I could continue to monitor progress... unfortunately got to go to work on weekdays..sigh!

Hi, Raymond ,Congrat to you for having this chance to document the bird nest building and eventual eggs laying and chicks feeding before they fly off.
Relax,man.The nest building will takes about 7 to 8 days.So you have plenty of time.They have already chosen your balcony because they need the protection from the weather.
After completing the nest,the Sunbird will be away for a couple of days.Relax again,she will come back to lay her first egg(mostly 2 eggs).
After that, its incubating the eggs for another 14 days.You will not see much activities going on then aside from the occasional breaks that she takes for feeding and stretching herself.
When the chicks appear in 14 days time,that is when you can expect lots of activities including the father joining hands in feeding.You will also witness the mother clearing the egg shells and wastes from her children.The chicks grow fast and in about 10 to 14 days,they are ready to fly.No flying lesson here.Off they shoot from the nest.:bsmilie:
Its good to document in pictures and in texts.A wonderful experience,like striking lottery.:bsmilie:
I think you should get youself a Teleconverter for your 70-200 to get close enough.A little flash will bring out the color of the beautiful birds.As for me I will use ISO 800 and use the camera Auto mode adjusted to -2/3 EV flash -1 EV

Hi, Raymond ,Congrat to you for having this chance to document the bird nest building and eventual eggs laying and chicks feeding before they fly off.
Relax,man.The nest building will takes about 7 to 8 days.So you have plenty of time.They have already chosen your balcony because they need the protection from the weather.
After completing the nest,the Sunbird will be away for a couple of days.Relax again,she will come back to lay her first egg(mostly 2 eggs).
After that, its incubating the eggs for another 14 days.You will not see much activities going on then aside from the occasional breaks that she takes for feeding and stretching herself.
When the chicks appear in 14 days time,that is when you can expect lots of activities including the father joining hands in feeding.You will also witness the mother clearing the egg shells and wastes from her children.The chicks grow fast and in about 10 to 14 days,they are ready to fly.No flying lesson here.Off they shoot from the nest.:bsmilie:
Its good to document in pictures and in texts.A wonderful experience,like striking lottery.:bsmilie:
I think you should get youself a Teleconverter for your 70-200 to get close enough.A little flash will bring out the color of the beautiful birds.As for me I will use ISO 800 and use the camera Auto mode adjusted to -2/3 EV flash -1 EV

Hi, Alan

Wow.. I like your detailed description of the whole process.. You must have seen it with your own eyes before?

So from what you said, I have like a whole 3 to 4 weeks to study the cute little birds. Thanks for the suggestions but not too sure I could use flash at all as I will be shooting behind a light tinted sliding door. Also I don't think I should disturb them or arouse their suspicion that someone is watching them. The use of teleconverter is valid.. will try it out. I do have a 1.4x II but I worry that it will decrease my f-stop by 1 stop.

Cheers!

It's nice to be updated on the progress of those cuties.

Wow... you are one lucky guy!

I thought I was lucky enough to have a few of these sunbirds coming to visit my mum's little plot of foliage everyday ! :bsmilie:

Take more photos!!! :bsmilie:

You are lucky. They only visit me to get food from my Bonsai plant I placed on my A/C ledge. Never had the chance to see them build nest yet. Woke me up every morning with their singing.

You can actually setup your equipment on your balcony and use remote to shoot. Just aim at the nest. Best is shoot video lah. At this close distance can set fill flash at -2 to -3ev. Just dont fire too often. Becareful not to spoke them as they will abandon the nest if they felt threaten.

You are lucky. They only visit me to get food from my Bonsai plant I placed on my A/C ledge. Never had the chance to see them build nest yet. Woke me up every morning with their singing.

You can actually setup your equipment on your balcony and use remote to shoot. Just aim at the nest. Best is shoot video lah. At this close distance can set fill flash at -2 to -3ev. Just dont fire too often. Becareful not to spoke them as they will abandon the nest if they felt threaten.

Hi DeSwitch

Good suggestion to shoot with remote from the balcony.. may try it when I have the time to keep watch on the activities.

Once I tried to open the balcony sliding door to have a clearer shot, the Xiao Huang (Little yellow One - my wife passionately called her) actually refused to go near the nest, perching on the ledge of balcony as if she knows something is amiss. From then on, I told myself better not to be too greety as they may abandon the nest altogether as what you have said.

Hi KangS

Should take some shots when they come calling... albeit not so easy as their timing is quite flexible I know...

Cheers!

Hey... post more pictures of it.... make it to a timeline..

Hi,
I am back... after being dormant for a while due to work and CNY holidays.
It is now into its 2nd weeks. The nest has grown in size and now I think it is anytime soon that the bird will lay her eggs. The birds don't come that often and won't stay too long each time. When it did, it went straight into the nest through a small opening facing the wall hence making capture very difficult.

Folloiwng were taken with 50mm f1.4 prime lens with a HOYA +4 filter as I don't have a macro lens. I can't use the 70-200mm zoom lens as the nest will block the birds. I had to go real close to the nest behind the glass sliding door (see photo #3). Most of the shots are not sharp as the area to shoot is very tight. Just picked two of them to update the folks here. Cheers.
3239880949_3c59efe584_o.jpg

3239899433_a99135d521_o.jpg

This shows my camera setup. The 70-200mm is just behind me. I was using my EFS 17-85mm lens that time. To shoot with the close up filter, I have to squeeze behind the day curtain.
3240752546_0023a0c2ea.jpg

Oh wow, you manged to get such close-ups of the cuties.

hi,Raymond,you mentioned that the sunbird went direct into the nest and leave in a very short time ?If that is the case ,she haven't laid her egg yet.
If she went direct into the nest and rest there facing out of the opening,she is incubating the eggs.In 2 weeks time the eggs will hatch.
Actually you are being worried too much. It is perfectly okay to walk into you balcony to water the plants without worrying that you will scared away the sunbirds.I have seen bird nest built near swimming pool with heavy human traffic. There was once she built a nest in my brother garden and he can even water the plants right under the nest without scaring off the bird. Too bad that I don own a Dslr then.

Nice close-up and thanks for the updates. Btw is that you in pic 3 :bsmilie:

Yes indeed, that's me posing to have my action shot taken by my wife.... I am quite a senior guy you must have realized.

so how you water the plants?

no wonder you can use a 50mm prime..so near.. :)

I still could open the sliding door from the middle section. No problem at all.

Oh wow, you manged to get such close-ups of the cuties.
Exactly... I was really close to the birds.

hi,Raymond,you mentioned that the sunbird went direct into the nest and leave in a very short time ?If that is the case ,she haven't laid her egg yet.
If she went direct into the nest and rest there facing out of the opening,she is incubating the eggs.In 2 weeks time the eggs will hatch.
Actually you are being worried too much. It is perfectly okay to walk into you balcony to water the plants without worrying that you will scared away the sunbirds.I have seen bird nest built near swimming pool with heavy human traffic. There was once she built a nest in my brother garden and he can even water the plants right under the nest without scaring off the bird. Too bad that I don own a Dslr then.

Yes you are right.... there is no egg yet (I peeked when they were not around). From what you have mentioned, I guess I have better luck taking their photos when the birdie comes to lay her eggs in a few days time...Thanks alot for the little tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.