Sun

canonmono

Nov 22, 2010
Yew Tee
Hi,
regarding the sun, how do i get a pic which involve a strong sunlight (how to reduce it) but at the same time able to get a model face clear (not totally dull black) and how to get rid of a shadow from a nearby object but at the same time still able to remain the back colorful lighting that shine to the singer hair (got microphone shadow on the neck) .. Cheers

Learn how to use fill flash?

Hi,
regarding the sun, how do i get a pic which involve a strong sunlight (how to reduce it) but at the same time able to get a model face clear (not totally dull black) and how to get rid of a shadow from a nearby object but at the same time still able to remain the back colorful lighting that shine to the singer hair (got microphone shadow on the neck) .. Cheers

On how to reduce sunlight, you can always go into the shade. In high contrast settings (such as high noon), perhaps it is better not to shoot and choose a better timing. It is like landscape photography, why would you want to make things difficult for yourself by shooting a low contrast scene and trying to squeeze contrast out of it? You are the photographer, you can dictate the timing. Photography is about painting what you want with light, using the camera as a tool. If the light is not appropriate, you can choose to paint at a more appropriate timing.

To be honest, I am picturing what you are describing, and it seems that you are shooting a singer in the sun, in possibly very harsh lighting. I'm afraid that you can only reduce shadows somewhat with tools such as fill flash and/or reflectors.

To be able to control and harness the light, you will need a good, firm grounding in the understanding of photography basics. This can be gleaned from reading up, either through books from the library or online articles.

hello,

you can try flash,underexpose your ambient then light with flash,or get a reflector use it as shade, or use for bouncing light, try and maybe youll discover few things like how shadow cast on what time and when is the best time,ofcourse shooting in shade is nicer.but it wont hurt you if you try
enjoy