Sun, Sand and Sea

altern8tif

Jan 17, 2009
Singapore
2010_08_08_at_07-26-04.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Exposure, composition, colour, post-processing techniques.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
I wanted to convey a feeling of new hope coming to our shores, brought about by the rising sun over the Marina Bay Sands.

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
Early morning outside the Fullerton Bay Hotel on a tripod. A little disappointed that I missed the best moments of the sunrise.

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
The original image did look a little flat, so I did a bit of PP to bump up the saturation and to add the vignette. Hope that gave the photo a bit more of a dramatic effect.

Was actually contemplating removing the building detail ie. making the whole Marina Bay Sands a silhouette. Would that have made a better picture? Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Also, thanks in advance for all your comments/critiques.

Would someone care to give their comments?? Hope to be able to get some critiques on this...

Would someone care to give their comments?? Hope to be able to get some critiques on this...

hehe i think i more noob than you so shall not comment much. Just curious, where got sand in photo?

Just a suggestion. If you missed the yet-risen sun period, between 7.30-8am you can still shoot Esplanade towards the CBD (i.e. towards Maybank). The sunlight on that area makes it quite interesting. If I may quote Kit's pictures, he has done quite a number of shots at this 2nd golden hour (e.g. #47)

hehe i think i more noob than you so shall not comment much. Just curious, where got sand in photo?

Heh it's actually supposed to be Sun, (Marina Bay) Sands, and Sea... ;)

Maybe I should change the title then.

nice sky there, pity is kind of under exposed imho.

horizon seems straight to me. my own preferences wld be to shift the composition up a bit and show more of the sky and less of the water

Perhaps you could change the title to "Sky, Sands, and Sea" as sun is not high in the sky. You still could have title with object names starting with "S".

Hey there :D
nice try in capturing the sun and the cloud shadows.
bt yah abit under exposed, very hard to get both in the right tone.

one advice from my personal experience (which is still noobish) erm take it in landscape style, cause u are capturing a very horizontal image and by using portrait style, it kinda defeats the purpose of a landscape shot :D but thats just my views, ofcource it can also be taken in portrait , depending on the photographer.

u can try to get filters, filters help u get the effect u want to get. but when u shoot agaist the sun just be prepared to get a sillohuette of the building, it will look better in my opinion but u lose the details of the building.

im nt sure on how to illuminate the entire IR though :D

good angle , i presume taken from marina blvd?

Hey there :D
nice try in capturing the sun and the cloud shadows.
bt yah abit under exposed, very hard to get both in the right tone.

one advice from my personal experience (which is still noobish) erm take it in landscape style, cause u are capturing a very horizontal image and by using portrait style, it kinda defeats the purpose of a landscape shot :D but thats just my views, ofcource it can also be taken in portrait , depending on the photographer.

u can try to get filters, filters help u get the effect u want to get. but when u shoot agaist the sun just be prepared to get a sillohuette of the building, it will look better in my opinion but u lose the details of the building.

im nt sure on how to illuminate the entire IR though :D

good angle , i presume taken from marina blvd?

Thanks for the comments... Really appreciate it.

Composition-wise, I tried to get it in portrait because there were other distracting elements on the sides. Also, thought the photo would look nicer because of the sky/clouds. Unfortunately, the colours didn't really "pop" as i expected. I think I'm still struggling with exposure on my photographs too. A bit afraid of overexposing especially since I'm shooting straight into the sun.

I might also do a version with the Sands completely silhouetted. I'm thinking that the details of the buildings don't really add much to the photo. Will try and make amendments to the photo and post another version up soon.

Yea filters sound like a good idea. Will try that out the next time.

It was taken in front of the new hotel at clifford pier -- Fullerton Bay Hotel (think that was what it was called). A great view – would definitely recommend anyone shooting MBS to check out that area...

Perhaps you could change the title to "Sky, Sands, and Sea" as sun is not high in the sky. You still could have title with object names starting with "S".

Thought Sun Sand Sea has a nicer ring to it. =P If I'm not mistaken, I remember hearing it on a Navy ad a long time ago.

Just a suggestion. If you missed the yet-risen sun period, between 7.30-8am you can still shoot Esplanade towards the CBD (i.e. towards Maybank). The sunlight on that area makes it quite interesting. If I may quote Kit's pictures, he has done quite a number of shots at this 2nd golden hour (e.g. #47)

Wow! His photos are beautiful! I do have a lot to learn :bigeyes:

overall looks too dark unless you are tryin to get a silhouette kinda shot..

filters u can check out this link

Tago Tech Online store

i bought mine from there, cheap and quiet good
heres a picture using the blue filter

40265_416180868524_605248524_4921931_4101658_n.jpg

using Neutral density filter (aka sunglasses kind)

33528_416180903524_605248524_4921934_5686217_n.jpg

ow yah bro, u can try this angle... taken from One Fullerton, the place with the small merlion... u can get a centered shot.
Forgive the lousy colour, i was waiting for a photoshoot and decided to just take it in a hurry, ha was raining also

38118_408670258524_605248524_4729269_12970_n.jpg

mmmm.. tasty... i like the 2nd shot with the sun hiding behind the clouds...
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

mmmm.. tasty... i like the 2nd shot with the sun hiding behind the clouds...
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

haha not my crit though
foucus on his picture nt mine, just trying to help him :D
FILTERS !!!!!!!!! WOOOO!!!!

haha not my crit though
foucus on his picture nt mine, just trying to help him :D
FILTERS !!!!!!!!! WOOOO!!!!

Love the colours in the 1st 2 shots... Droolworthy...:heart:

Will definitely check out those filters. Heh, more stuff on my shopping list!

filters all aside, your picture is quite under exposed. Try to get a few shots taken with different exposures, meter for the sky followed by the foreground (MBS and the water) and then blend them using layer mask in photoshop. Save you some money too.

Last edited:
filters all aside, your picture is quite under exposed. Try to get a few shots taken with different exposures, meter for the sky followed by the foreground (MBS and the water) and then blend them using layer mask in photoshop. Save you some money too.

wow thats a neat trick :D

but must use tripod and dont move the camera at all, lol not even a millimeter lol

wow thats a neat trick :D

but must use tripod and dont move the camera at all, lol not even a millimeter lol

One way to do multiple shots without a tripod and minimizing the movements is to set your camera to automatic exposure bracketing, or AEB in short (read your camera manual for this). Then set your camera to shoot multiple frames when you snap. Hold your breath for that few seconds while its snapping away. Open them in photoshop and start masking away. Practise makes perfect. All the best! :)

One way to do multiple shots without a tripod and minimizing the movements is to set your camera to automatic exposure bracketing, or AEB in short (read your camera manual for this). Then set your camera to shoot multiple frames when you snap. Hold your breath for that few seconds while its snapping away. Open them in photoshop and start masking away. Practise makes perfect. All the best! :)

Sorry if this is a noob question, but what is the difference between this and HDR?