Sun ray effect .

loozhengyuan

Jan 16, 2010
How do i create the effect which i can see sun rays penetrating between the clouds ?

Learn to manage sun and clouds :bsmilie: .. or exercise in patience and watching :)

I want to know , the sort of formula (I suppose there is) .

Wait for a cloudy sky where rays penetrate the clouds, then just take a pic. After that you'll need to enhance it via PP, as most of the time the effect is quite subtle.

What do i do during PP , to enhance it ?

Simple curve adjustment will do, by using an s-curve to pull the shadows down and the hightlights up, which is basically increasing the contrast in a controlled manner.

Ok, took one a moment ago at 6.40pm just for you. :)

Adjusted:
- curve
- gamma
- color balance

DSCF9573_web.jpg

Cheers.

Last edited:
Pretty ! Sorry to further question . Like how to adjust the curve ? as in from which point to which . And for gamma ? Colour and contrast adjustments i know .

Pretty ! Sorry to further question . Like how to adjust the curve ? as in from which point to which . And for gamma ? Colour and contrast adjustments i know .

if you google photoshop CURVES

there are very good tutorials out there to explain how it works.

There are no fix rules for curve and gamma adjustments, main objective is to enhance the rays to have better contrast vs. the surrounding, and normally it is an s-curve. You need to play with them to get the feel, and adjust according to your liking.

Last edited:
Sure.

DSCF9573_web1.jpg

Waiting for the right moment to take the pic is also important. Here is one I took earlier that does not have very obvious rays, even after post processing:

DSCF9563_web.jpg

may i know what type of metering mode u use and where to meter go get the most out the the image before pping?

It was just simple matrix metering. :)

Waiting for the right moment to take the pic is also important. Here is one I took earlier that does not have very obvious rays, even after post processing
Did you leave the dust spot intentionally? ;)