Sun, Cloud, Trees

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapSnap

Sep 1, 2004
Singapore
Don't know what to call this... But the scene was pretty. Just that I lacked the skill to capture it... Here's what I got after processing. Would like to know what I could have done to make this better. All kinds of comments welcomed... :)

sun.jpg

Beautiful sky.

Did you meter at the sun?

SnapSnap said:
Don't know what to call this... But the scene was pretty. Just that I lacked the skill to capture it... Here's what I got after processing. Would like to know what I could have done to make this better. All kinds of comments welcomed... :)

sun.jpg

lastboltnut said:
Beautiful sky.

Did you meter at the sun?
No... I metered slightly away from the sun...
1/4000 f22 if I remember correctly...

Sun's overexposed. You can't do much in processing if you blown your picture at capture.

Dramatic shot, but i agree with espion that the sun is overexposed. Other than that, this is quite a nice one.
7.5 out of 10.

espion and adelynn88, Thanks for the comments!
I'll take note of the exposure. :)

In my personal taste, i would prefer this composition in monochorme..and with abit of post processing you can work with the hot spot to 'neutralize' it in a sense..

In your rendition, the hot spot really makes the initial focal point of the composition, drawing the viewer's attention away from the cloud formations surrounding it... furthermore the hotspot is very pronounced, and does not form quite a smooth gradient torwards the midtones of the clouds..

What i've done in this rendition is to firstly, slightly burn in the hot spot which makes it less pronounced relative to its surroundings.. then next converted it into monochrome, with a sepia tone to it, which seemed to work better compared to black and white.. lastly, tweaked the levels bar to really equalize the hotspot with the clouds so that it seems to be more well blended into the whole surrounding..

I took the liberty to use your image and gave it abit of tweaking, do tell me if you want it removed..

sun22.jpg

all in all, it is a good capture, with some work can turn out to be a rather pleasing shot...

Patryk, Thank you for the suggestions! The image does look different after your tweaking. Thank you for sharing how you did it too! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.