sun burn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

melvin

Jun 4, 2005
TPY
Hi! everyone pls comment on where can i improve? Reno77 is the composition here better?

IMG_1417.jpg

Thanks again!

hope U dont take this the wrong way, but I'd crop it into a portrait orientation, add a little contrast ;)

got any macro shots?

Hi Melvin, here are my critiques for the shot.

1. The flower would look better with all the petals intact, but I guess that's impossible to find the open.. got to try in the indoor greenhouses at Botanic gardens.

2. Go closer and use a shallower depth of field to blur the backgroud, the pic was taken at F5, use aperture priority and take at F2.8, if some parts of the flower are blur , go 1 step higher.

3. Was this taken yesterday afternoon? It was a cloudy day tus the lighting is flat. Flower shots (actually all shots) are best taken in the morning and evening when there is orangey light.

4. The pic looks a bit blur, use a higher shutter speed, if you use a f2.8 shutter the camera will automatically increase the shutter speed.

Here's one I took yesterday, not very sharp actually because it was swaying in the wind. Just to show the shallow depth of field effect.

60289928_9f72652d81_o.jpg

reno77 said:

1. The flower would look better with all the petals intact, but I guess that's impossible to find the open.. got to try in the indoor greenhouses at Botanic gardens.

2. Go closer and use a shallower depth of field to blur the backgroud, the pic was taken at F5, use aperture priority and take at F2.8, if some parts of the flower are blur , go 1 step higher.

3. Was this taken yesterday afternoon? It was a cloudy day tus the lighting is flat. Flower shots (actually all shots) are best taken in the morning and evening when there is orangey light.

4. The pic looks a bit blur, use a higher shutter speed, if you use a f2.8 shutter the camera will automatically increase the shutter speed.

Here's one I took yesterday, not very sharp actually because it was swaying in the wind. Just to show the shallow depth of field effect.

Thanks! i keep thinking dat got to show everything so always keep my aperature at F8 now i know why i cant get a pict like yours!:sweat:

Err... it is actually taken on tuesday during istana open house. Took the pict about 1715hrs
dat day is a bright n sunny day.

Will try again when i came across any flowers the next time.
By the way how abt my other flower at:

http://photobucket.com/albums/b366/melvingohhb/Flowers/

Thanks!:sweat:

Are you shooting with a normal lens or macro lens?

Getting a good background can make alot of difference in a picture. Trying playing with ur f setting to throw off the ugly (un-uniform background) and zoom in and out for a better composition.

IMO, your subject is not very appealing in terms of color and shape. For me, I favoured simple and less complicated subject. Reno77 flower pic has simple but attractive outline and colors that stands out from the background.

Hope my 2cents is helpful to you :)

Thanks rainman for ur advice!
Will take note of composition hope will come up with better pict next time round till then hope for ur precious advice!

Me shooting with normal lens only got to learn to walk before running rite?;)

melvin said:
Thanks rainman for ur advice!
Will take note of composition hope will come up with better pict next time round till then hope for ur precious advice!

Me shooting with normal lens only got to learn to walk before running rite?;)

Hello Melvin,

I realised that you are shooting with Canon A95. This is a point and shoot camera. The DOF may be limited due to the CCD's physical size (I believe that is 1/2.5" format as compared to most DSLR of APS size). Nevertheless, you still can take a very good macro with the P&S. I would like to add on Reno77 comment on DOF. I have taken a series of pix with A610. Here they are...

Normal mode, F2.8 with zoom 1x.
F28zoom1.jpg

Compare with Normal mode, F4.1 with zoom 4x
F41zoom4.jpg

Note the difference that zooming will add a shallower DOF.

Now same scenarios with macro mode:
F2.8 with zoom 1x - Macro mode
F28zoom1macro.jpg

And F4.1 with zoom 4x - Macro mode
F41zoom4macro.jpg

Did you see the difference in DOF, shallower than the first two.

Now, I have noticed that A95 has 'Manual Focus'. Playing with Manual focus you can throw even shallower DOF.
Manual focus F4.1 zoom4x - See the 'bokeh'. It is beautiful!!!
F41zoom4MF.jpg

If you try zoom1x, with maximum aperture of F2.8 with manual focus you can get even closer to the subject, but very shallow DOF will only have smallest focused area.
Manual focus, F2.1 zoom1X
F28zoom1MF.jpg

Experiment with your camera more.... with P&S, having smaller CCD size, does not meant you cannot take good macro. Like Reno77 says, background needs to be blur. You still can get good background by choosing uniformed colored background as not to distract your point of interest.

Happy shooting...

reno77 said:

Hello Reno77,

Did you use 50mm f2.8 macro lens? I noticed that your f-stop is F13. Dude, that lens must be macro lens right? That's one beautiful image.

The beer can...
Macro5.jpg

Regards,

Pranadewa

Pranadewa said:
Hello Reno77,

Did you use 50mm f2.8 macro lens? I noticed that your f-stop is F13. Dude, that lens must be macro lens right? That's one beautiful image.

Regards,

Pranadewa

Yes I was using the 50/2.8 macro :) Got it on ebay last week for US$200.

:thumbsup: Thanks pranadewa for ur step by step showing the diff in the DOF! Thanks for all the trouble u gone through:embrass:
I will try it out the diff aperature n manual mode! Once its done will post for ur advice!
Thanks again!

is it possible to try for a bokeh effect if the camera does not offer manual focus but only aperture and shutter priority?
thanks.

Lucky I did not get burn...:bsmilie:
Nice title...:D

elhire said:
is it possible to try for a bokeh effect if the camera does not offer manual focus but only aperture and shutter priority?
thanks.

Sure can. But how much is dependent on the F/stop opening. There are other factors like the CCD physical size, zoom, lens system, etc... What camera do you have?

Some consumer cameras have 6-blades aperture, which is good for bokeh... some only have 2 aperture values...

Status
Not open for further replies.