Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Beautiful dusk with Ning.

tomshen_summer2004_001.jpg

tomshen_summer2004_002.jpg

tomshen_summer2004_003.jpg

tomshen_summer2004_005.jpg

tomshen_summer2004_014.jpg

excellent pics and setting! may i ask where is the shooting location?

btw, mebbe its my office monitor. but some of the pics show a orangy glow on the model's skin. are u using a gold reflector?

The photos are well taken.

But then the title just doesn't match, Summer Romance gives me a feeling of sweetness and happiness. The girl in the pics shows rather expressionless, or not least that she is happy in romance.

nightwolf75 said:
btw, mebbe its my office monitor. but some of the pics show a orangy glow on the model's skin. are u using a gold reflector?

i believe its the evening sun. Tomshen mentioned beautiful dusk. :)

great pics, like the general feel of the pics but i think the handphone one sort of spoils the simple nature of the series. Everything else is like beauty and nature then all of a sudden technology ha....just sharing my views

2 Favourites. Firstly is the second one "back view" one....gives it character and draws attention to the jewellery.
second one is the last pic. Very classy. Looks like an ad for jewellery. I can just imagine the tittle : SUMMER ROMANCE by Lee Hwa....:D

Photos very chi-na...taiwan pattern..

though lighting is alrite...but poses very rigid/stiff/un-natural...

very akward cropping for some shots (hand phone shot, holding the leave shot..beside the pond shot..)..but daring enough...

silver.wolf said:
i believe its the evening sun. Tomshen mentioned beautiful dusk. :)

thanks, silver.wolf! learnt something new this morning - dat i dun need a gold reflector to get an orangy cast on the skin! :thumbsup: dat said, how can i shoot a setting sun, with an orangy cast, without blowing out the colours? i tried once at my recent labradour park shoot. but, my skin tone was way off, even without PS. where or how should i meter in order to preserve the colour?

nightwolf75 said:
excellent pics and setting! may i ask where is the shooting location?

Taken overseas. The orange glow was due to the setting sun, as u have figured out.

silver.wolf said:
The photos are well taken.

But then the title just doesn't match, Summer Romance gives me a feeling of sweetness and happiness. The girl in the pics shows rather expressionless, or not least that she is happy in romance.
You are right, she was new to posing. I guess part of my difficulty in posed portraiture is to deal with those never-posed-before models. Normally 2nd or 3rd sessions will be better. But then, it's fun to work with new faces.

ptwong said:
great pics, like the general feel of the pics but i think the handphone one sort of spoils the simple nature of the series. Everything else is like beauty and nature then all of a sudden technology ha....just sharing my views
Yeah, I kinda agree with u that the handphone one might not be matching.

It was a rhapsody with nature series for me: i can almost here the ducks and the crickets... till the model swipe out her handphone. And all i can hear thereafter was the funky polyphonic ringtones... :bsmilie:

Nice surreal series!

/realised someone posted a comment on the hp only after i posted this reply.

MatthewSCL said:
Photos very chi-na...taiwan pattern..

though lighting is alrite...but poses very rigid/stiff/un-natural...

very akward cropping for some shots (hand phone shot, holding the leave shot..beside the pond shot..)..but daring enough...
Daring? hehe. I tend to 'crop' these days, sometimes just wanna get more angles. Personally, I think 'holding the leaves' shot is ok to me, the other two u mentioned are rather so-so.

Last shot is the best... the colour of the rest looks a bit washed out? Good overall. :thumbsup:

Nice semi-fashion series. Good for a first time model. Yes it's true on what you mentioned that working with fresh face model who have no experience is a better challange than a one who knows how to pose.

Cropping is good as it fits with the series that you are acheiving. Same as what others has mentioned. Just the mobile spoils it. Maybe can take that out and replace with another photo.

If you look careful and place all the photos in a line (except for the mobile phone) there is a little story behind it. Try and see. Holding leaves shot is good as it actually pause for a moment behind the story line.

May I know you shot which location of China (that's if the location is in China)?

Sunset shots are quite tricky in some situation but tomshen executed brilliantly. Time is limited as sunsets usually dips fast.

Good series and hope to see more!

thx afiend and ProImage. This series was taken in China, a park (Xuan Wu Lake park) in Nanjing. Something different from what's in Singapore: willow trees, lotus, lower angle sunset, and grass etc. Next time when I go back will try to organize some uni students to be my models. Many Chinese gals around 20 got very nice skin and (probably) figures :D

I always enjoy your series, nice! well...here are my 2 cents.:D firstly the jewelry not fit in this situation, except last pic which i like most (with jewelry). the rest since it's outdoor and i think without jewelry i think better feel. The basket pic also look very nice.. i like that! :)

thanks for sharing.

Newbie here, can I ask how to get the effect on the 3rd pic.
Where the left hand and the background is blurred.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.