Sumiko Tan and her musings......

goon

Jan 16, 2005
Hi,I'm wondering what's your personal opinion about this Sumiko Tan's columns in Sunday Times.

It's quite a turn- off for me but some people tell me she's got a lot of fans out there. Sometimes I read to see how bad it will turn out.;p

Yesterday's ( 12 Sept )column in particular was a real put off for me. The problem for me is that she always brings out some issues ,personal or not but never give any insightful thoughts into her writings. Other than that, her writing style is so dry unlike her counterparts ,Sandra Leong or Teo Cheng Wee.

I'm just curious........

I find it Ok..... maybe because I'm at a similar stage in life... I could kind of understand some of her musings.... :bsmilie:

i don't read her stupid column.. waste of time...

zzz....

rather go youtube to study how people do photography... more meaningful...

She's not like the worst columnist in the world but she thinks she's the Dalai Lama,Obama or some super star or something? Who the hell really care about her personal life unless it's some real thoughts about the world today or something?

All these aircon,bed room 'non-action' are just so bo-liao.

mind you, she is a "senior" person there :rolleyes:
but i think she is generally a nice person but her lifestyle, I will never want to be a part of it. No way I would want my other half to be like her :sweat:
BTW, she writes well, but i would take Catherine Lim anytime :bsmilie:

She's not like the worst columnist in the world but she thinks she's the Dalai Lama,Obama or some super star or something? Who the hell really care about her personal life unless it's some real thoughts about the world today or something?

All these aircon,bed room 'non-action' are just so bo-liao.

exactly... that's why i am neve able to finish reading her article... maybe should read it when u can't sleep...

exactly... that's why i am neve able to finish reading her article... maybe should read it when u can't sleep...
you may run the risk of having nightmares ..... :rolleyes:

you may run the risk of having nightmares ..... :rolleyes:
yap i agree.. my friend told me if can't sleep.. read something that's really boring .. and soon you'll be in dreamland:bsmilie:

It's just a platform for her to voice her opinions, just that her's is in print form. Just take it with a pinch of salt. Haha

Just like blogs, people voice their opnions, and there are people who also take offence or turn into online vigilantes.

We can't really control what others think/feel/write, just brush it off if you think it's nonsense. No hard fast rule, starve it of attention, it will just die off.

The problem is when one pay for a copy of the Sunday Times,you are in some way directly or indirectly paying for her article hence,as a 'client' ,we have a right to criticize especially since it's coming from a "national' daily.

If she's writing a private blog,then I got nothing to say coz it's very much a private issue.:)

Maybe you should write in to Forum....hehehe, demand that she write her column for free papers and not waste her time in paid papers...hehe :bsmilie:

its interesting for soon to be married couples. There r many things that you dun realise until u r there so I find its ok. Hmm but i sure dun wanna be her other half.. so paisei to have personal stuff on the national papers!

Ok wad her column...More for boliao ppl...

No offense, there are bigger issues in marriage than sleeping in different bedrooms. Different religions and economic status. Long distance relations or coping with a sick child, parent. Living with a disability. Coping with autism. Of course, one can always argue that her column is supposed to be light. But Mr brown can do humor with a snappy social commentary punch. She writes about challenges that are really much ado about nothing. It lacks a bite.

if i were her husband i will be really mad at her for publicising our private affairs.

Oh please, u think it's so easy to write for all to read!??!!??!?! I don't think she has any choice (what will you do if your boss "ask" you to write a column?!??!) as it was something that the papers had her doing and doing it for like eyons... The column, like most column is for her to write something... So it became something like on her life - what's on her mind (I mean you can't expect her to write something about gadgets right?!?!?!), and since she just got married, of course it's all about married life...

Heck have you read all her stuff before her marriage??? I do remember a fair bit of it was the poor me, can't get hitched... and finally acceptance of the "above 30" but not hitched life... Now, got hitched - what else but married life...

You can always skip the columns... I never read any, except sometimes to see if she got something new to write... Heck, I even sometimes read LKY's daugther's column...