Suitable Digi Camera for Travelling ... opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

zOOm

May 23, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
I love to have a DSLR. am actually eyeing the canon 10D, having numerous sleepless nights, thinking. pondering, over & over, if I should take the plunge. And then the 300D comes out ...*poof* ... I just woke up hahahaha ... lol <kidding> ; oh well, that's the standard lifecycle with all electronic products, right? :D

While everyone is going to the DSLR path, I feel like sticking to the prosumer section for these few reasons:-

Short Video Clip
one disadvantage of DSLR over prosumer it can't take short vidclip. I found the short vidclip feature, in my course of travelling, proved to be rather useful in documenting your sweet memories.

Size
Prosumer are still more convienently sized for travel :)

SO here I am, eagering waiting for the release of 300D. And no, I'm buying the 300D, but instead of waiting for the prices of prosumer to drop. hehehehe .... :D

Just some of my thoughts or am I going down the wrong road (i.e by not going DSLR)?

p.s: btw, now that I got DSLR out of my mind. I going have several sleepless night on choosing which prosumer digicam now ...... oh no, not again ....:(

if u really like that video feature maybe sony brand ones
u can take 640X480 unlimited

Depends on your tolerence on size, weight and price. here's my list :

At the top of the list in terms of price, performance and weight will be the new Sony F828. At 8MP, MS and CF support 28-200/f2.0 lens, this is surely the king of prosumer cameras. At 900g, its heavy too for a non-DSLR type camera. If the image quality is as good as the F717, then it will surely be outstanding.

Next ( also in terms of size, performance and price ) is the also new Minolta A1. WIth a 28-200 lens with Image Stablizer, this one is moderately light ( 600+g ) and fairly convenient for travel. At 5MP, it's no longer the king of the hill in terms of resolution though.

Next would be the G5/G3/S50. These cameras are well discussed, so nuff said.

Finally, the ultimate in travelling convenience but with lower performance will be the ultra compacts. I think the Canon S400 is outstanding in this area.

Hellbreath,
Yeah, I was actually considering the V1. it really compact, probably too compact for me, plus the price of memory stick shhess :(

chriszzz,
828 is really too heavy, Minolta A1 seems to be a good contender. the "anti-shake" feature is great (if it works). that means I don't need to bring my tripod :) 5mp is more then enuff for me.

I'm considering G5 too ... waiting for price to drop kekekeke ...

Status
Not open for further replies.