Suitable bag for travelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marge

Jun 25, 2008
Where the Sun Rises
I am going to Angkor Wat next Tuesday and will be carrying my D40x with a 18-200mm lens. My current camera bag is a crumpler - 5 million dollar home. I can't put anything else in there besides my camera so am wondering if it is advisable for me put my camera into my normal backpack instead. Any advice?

I will have a water bottle, guide book, small umbrella and a large zip log bag for my camera in case of wet weather along with some other small items.

I am going to Angkor Wat next Tuesday and will be carrying my D40x with a 18-200mm lens. My current camera bag is a crumpler - 5 million dollar home. I can't put anything else in there besides my camera so am wondering if it is advisable for me put my camera into my normal backpack instead. Any advice?

I will have a water bottle, guide book, small umbrella and a large zip log bag for my camera in case of wet weather along with some other small items.

Normal backpack is actually fine if you are able to fit a padded insert (eg., Crumpler Bucket) to keep the camera seperate from the rest of the stuffs.

I visited Cambodia with a ThinkTankPhoto Change Up and it was able to keep my D200, 18-200 (mounted), 50/1.4, blower, SB-800, one water bottle, one guide book, umbrella all in a waistpack. It also has a rain cover to protect itself from wet weather.

Last edited:
I have a slightly different take on this ...

If you're bringing a backpack, get something that's pretty beat-up. Nothing that screams "I'm a tourist with a newly bought backpack on my first trip". If I were buying a new backpack, I'll "age" it myself after removing all labels :bsmilie:

The other thing I'd do will be to bring a padded camera waistpack, something like a Lowepro Photorunner, that can fit inside your backpack. When you bring your backpack along, stick that inside and use it like a padded insert (it's not bulky, check it out at camera shops), and when you only want to bring the camera, you can strap it around your waist or hang it on your shoulder.

Have a good trip, leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures.

Edit: forgot raincover ... a disposable poncho for you, and large garbage bag for your backpack.

Last edited:

I prefer backpack when travelling.

What kind of back pack u guys referring to?
i find them rather hard to pack my Camera, as its quite bulky

use ur Crumpler for photographic gears, seperately pack other stuff into a backpack? e 2 pack combo is my prefered choice. best if u have a backpack where after stuffing all ur belongings still got space for things u bought along the way. :)

start journey, 2 bags.
end journey, oso 2 bags easier to manage than if number of bags keeping increasing.

my advise if u want to buy a bag is to buy earlier familiarize with ur stuff. enjoying the trip is too important compared to concentrating on the belongings (where's tis, where's tat...).

I have a slightly different take on this ...

If you're bringing a backpack, get something that's pretty beat-up. Nothing that screams "I'm a tourist with a newly bought backpack on my first trip". If I were buying a new backpack, I'll "age" it myself after removing all labels :bsmilie:

The other thing I'd do will be to bring a padded camera waistpack, something like a Lowepro Photorunner, that can fit inside your backpack. When you bring your backpack along, stick that inside and use it like a padded insert (it's not bulky, check it out at camera shops), and when you only want to bring the camera, you can strap it around your waist or hang it on your shoulder.

Have a good trip, leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but pictures.

Edit: forgot raincover ... a disposable poncho for you, and large garbage bag for your backpack.

I find this piece of advice extremely useful, especially with the disposable poncho idea. Smells like Macgyver to me. I am in a similar predicament as the thread starter, so I will take this tip along with me when I make my purchases.

depends on your shooting style, just note that with a backpack you will usually find it hard to take out the camera quickly if you leave it in the bag most of the time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.