Suicides In Singapore Reaches 20 Years High

poor thing. the stress level in SG is really high. Not only that, there are increases of mental illness. Thats why the government was doing more awareness campaign last year. But the msg was pushed to the public to take responsibility. Gahmen people just warn severe consequences if pace of life is slower... haha... :bsmilie:

It's a 1st World Economy side effect. It's a grim statistic but I hope it's not a continuos uphill trend. I believe as our society becomes more modern we forget to indulge in our spiritual needs, only material ones.

That's when one begin to wonder the purpose of life and feels nothing to lose by ending it.

It's a 1st World Economy side effect. It's a grim statistic but I hope it's not a continuos uphill trend. I believe as our society becomes more modern we forget to indulge in our spiritual needs, only material ones.

That's when one begin to wonder the purpose of life and feels nothing to lose by ending it.

Slower pace of life comes with trade-off, says Shanmugam

that's the problem with Singaporean society.

you chase everything, want everything, and kill yourself for it (not in the literal sense).

lots of articles have been written in the recent years highlighting that Singaporean society is moving to a trend where people put undue pressure on themselves to "work in an office in shenton way", "drive a posh car", "live in expensive property" and so much more, just because they want "face", "recognition" and "status".

it's time singaporeans wake up. stop putting pressure on yourself and your kids/relations just because you want to show off.

it's not worth it.

this is the underlying reason why people feel stressed.

time for some soul searching

poor thing. the stress level in SG is really high. Not only that, there are increases of mental illness. Thats why the government was doing more awareness campaign last year. But the msg was pushed to the public to take responsibility. Gahmen people just warn severe consequences if pace of life is slower... haha... :bsmilie:
It seems our young ones (the so called "strawberry generation") is destined to slog away their entire life in a never ending cycle of rat races right from the moment the day they are born.

It seems our young ones (the so called "strawberry generation") is destined to slog away their entire life in a never ending cycle of rat races right from the moment the day they are born.

slog their entire life away?

i don't know whether to look serious or laugh.

from what i see, that strawberry generation only knows how to complain of how much they're given to do, no matter how easy or simple the job is. they have no initiative, and want to avoid having to do tough jobs and make tough decisions. they want the most, yet do not want to make the effort to get there.

they think that since they're university graduates, the utmost should be given to them; that the sun revolves around them and not the earth.

slog away their entire lives? i think not. they come to work on time, and leave on time. and then go party.

Many of the younger folks I know buy condos or ec the moment they get married. On top of that, they drive flashy cars and carry branded stuff. And then they complain that their employers are not paying them enough, and that thegahmen shd do something about this. It's obvious who's putting the stress on themselves and on the system. Imagine if one day ppl just be content and stop buying luxury goods and condos, the price will come down. Simple econs yet so many fail to understand and choose to be continually stuck in the pursuit of a perceived better life.

Our root problem is we always have to have it all and be one up on the joneses. Lens must be L or its lousy. Cars must be conti. Homes must come with a security guard and pool. My Kids must be smarter than other kids. And the list goes on. And yet we are not prepared to slog and not mentally strong enough to overcome challenges and emerge the stronger for it. We are diggin our own graves.

Last edited:
These people are smart, they know the cash cow cannot go on producing milk forever thus they go all out, at their best to squeeze the neh neh as hard as they could for every single drop while they still have the oppturnity and time to do so. When the cow runs dry, it will start chewing itself to death from hunger.

You need money to indulge in material needs. No money no honey and spiritually bankrupt. :think:

Our root problem is we always have to have it all and be one up on the joneses. Lens must be L or its lousy. Cars must be conti. Homes must come with a security guard and pool. My Kids must be smarter than other kids. And the list goes on. And yet we are not prepared to slog and not mentally strong enough to overcome challenges and emerge the stronger for it. We are diggin our own graves.
That's a too simplistic approach to look at it, as per the relations of causality, this is merely the effects of consequences. Scratching beyond the surface and getting to the the root cause, we just have to ask ourselves "What influenced young Singaporeans to behave as such?" and "When do young Singaporeans start behaving as such?"

Only when we have the answers to these, will we have a solution. Anyway, I have faith in our future leaders from Generation X, Y and Z to rise up to the challenge and change Singapore for the better. There's greater tenacity in the them then we know.

I think quite a number of people suffer from melancholia. And perhaps it is hereditary.

You need money to indulge in material needs. No money no honey and spiritually bankrupt. :think:

You are downright wrong.:nono::nono:

You can be poor but spiritually contented. Only those who only seek material wealth will feel empty inside, their material acquisition provide brief happiness at most.

Last edited:
Show me one local example please. :think:

You are downright wrong.:nono::nono:

You can be poor but spiritually contented. Only those who only seek material wealth will feel empty inside, their material acquisition provide brief happiness at most.

That's a too simplistic approach to look at it, as per the relations of causality, this is merely the effects of consequences. Scratching beyond the surface and getting to the the root cause, we just have to ask ourselves "What influenced young Singaporeans to behave as such?" and "When do young Singaporeans start behaving as such?"

I hope u r not alluding that someone else (or the current govt?) is to be blamed? anyway, What I am saying is, one can take ownership of one's life, choose to do something and rise above, or be stuck in the mud and bitch. As my former discipline master always told me, the choice is yours. What's your choice? :)

I have not read the full article.

Cannot see any breakdown of the statistics.

For example, among the suicide cases in the age band of 20 to 29 years of age - what is the data of their socio-economic group?

Are these mainly from poor families?

Or evenly spread across all income/wealth categories?

Or skewed mainly in the wealthy category?

We are not even sure if it is related to money.

There could be a mix of causes.

Suicide often arises from emotional/relationship grief or loss.

Suicide also arises when people feel they are a failure, that this world is unfair (it really is - just have to accept that fact), that everything is loaded against them and there is no point in trying anymore.

lots of articles have been written in the recent years highlighting that Singaporean society is moving to a trend where people put undue pressure on themselves to "work in an office in shenton way", "drive a posh car", "live in expensive property" and so much more, just because they want "face", "recognition" and "status".

On a lighter note, why do people want to work in Shenton Way? I just want to know people in Shenton Way so that there's a slight chance that I can borrow their office to shoot views of Singapore. :bsmilie:

I believe that one has to have a certain baseline of affluence to not have to worry about things. By that, I don't mind being able to show off your spanking new condo with nice nice fittings to friends or to drive a loud noisy sports car around town.. After all, people have families, and you also want to have some amount of reassurance that you will be able to provide for them. But that's to do with having a sufficiently sized roof over your head (i.e. no 1 room flat for 5 people), and square meals everyday. Everyone has different dreams in life, but really, at the end of the day, we should take anything else as a bonus. Life becomes a lot simpler that way. :)

I also believe that poor people can be happy. But it's harder to be happy when your stomach is empty. By poor, of course, I mean the truly poor. Not the people who think they are poor because they had to stick to their iPad 1 and couldn't purchase the new iPad mini because they spent too much on that holiday in Japan last month. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
I believe that one has to have a certain baseline of affluence to not have to worry about things. By that, I don't mind being able to show off your spanking new condo with nice nice fittings to friends or to drive a loud noisy sports car around town.. After all, people have families, and you also want to have some amount of reassurance that you will be able to provide for them. But that's to do with having a sufficiently sized roof over your head (i.e. no 1 room flat for 5 people), and square meals everyday. Everyone has different dreams in life, but really, at the end of the day, we should take anything else as a bonus. Life becomes a lot simpler that way. :)

I also believe that poor people can be happy. But it's harder to be happy when your stomach is empty. By poor, of course, I mean the truly poor. Not the people who think they are poor because they had to stick to their iPad 1 and couldn't purchase the new iPad mini because they spent too much on that holiday in Japan last month. :bsmilie:

i have to work a lot of OT because our branch is under-staffed.

i used to have this colleague who refused to work late, always gave our boss attitude and was slow at doing things. and loved to take holidays and eat at restaurants and go shopping.

and she was always complaining to me that she had no time to do anything and that she was very poor. i'm like:

694.png

On a lighter note, why do people want to work in Shenton Way? I just want to know people in Shenton Way so that there's a slight chance that I can borrow their office to shoot views of Singapore. :bsmilie:

:bsmilie: btw can you help me out with my landscape photos? :bsmilie: