Suggestions for Protait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kim

Mar 28, 2002
Visit site
hi, i plan to do some protait shooting of my friend. but can all those pros suggest what time of negatives or slides i should used? i plan to shoot indoor n outdoor. Is negatives or slides prefered? Is color or B/W negatives prefered? Thanks!!

Originally posted by kim
hi, i plan to do some protait shooting of my friend. but can all those pros suggest what time of negatives or slides i should used? i plan to shoot indoor n outdoor. Is negatives or slides prefered? Is color or B/W negatives prefered? Thanks!!

There is no right or wrong in photography, and as well the material you are using. Photography largely depends on the photographers eyes. Use your eyes to see and feel. Any film will do. Be it b/w or colour. Each has it's own characteristics strength and weaknessess. So try anything. For a start don't tie yourself down with too much technical terms or equipments. Normal film like kodak max, or fuji will do.

Originally posted by kim

For negatives, try Fujifilm NPH 400, NPC 160 and NPS 160. If you prefer Kodak, try the Portra series.

For slides, avoid highly saturated slides like Velvia and Ektachrome 100VS.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by Klause
Slides is not very good for human

Not true. There are diferrent slides available and some are superb for portraits. If the results that you've gotten back from slides is not good enough, it might be because that the lab that you've sent it to is messing the film up.

Back to original question... For negatives, like what many others have said, Fuji NPS or NPC (rated at 160) is a great portrait film. For slides, Fuji Astia would be a great portrait film. As a matter of fact, I'm almost always using Astia when it comes to shooting portraits these days.

If this is an important shot and you're just starting out on photography, then perhaps I would suggest that you stick with negative for the moment. Otherwise if you are comfortable with taking slides, then I will say, go for it! The vibrant colours of the slides are hard to beat. :)

You might want to take a look at my page on portraits at http://5art.tripod.com/People/People.htm
Most of the photo there are taken quite a number of years back when I was just starting out taking portraits. Happy shooting! :)

wow!!! thanks for all the inputs!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.