Suggestions for healthy breakfast involving salmon

Status
Not open for further replies.

behyx

Jun 15, 2002
SG
I'm a huge meat lover, i love chicken, pork, beef! And what's worse is, i love greasy food.

But for breakfast, 90% of the year everyone in the family eat only bread. I've been eating bread for breakfast since very young, and i'm terribly sick of it! Most of the time i rather skip breakfast and get an early lunch - which is very unhealthy.

So i have a suggestion for myself. As I always love salmon because they are healthy (with rich omega 3) and taste really good, i intend to make my every breakfast a fillet of salmon. Just 160-180g of it, along with some frozen peas and i'll be contented :) Overall cost will be less than S$4 a morning, which is around the cost of a Macdonalds big breakfast; and most importantly, it's much more healthy! On top of it, i brew my own Swedish tea every morning, so i have a complete meal this way.

However i have a problem. As I really like baked salmon with chopped garlic and parsley sprinkle on top, it seems unfavourable to have garlic so early in the morning, as there will be a certain smell in the mouth and also when i perspire. So is there anything to substitute it? Or even better, what can be used to tackle the smell? hehe :)

I'm looking forward to start this tomorrow (3rd May)

u eat salmon with frozen peas? hmm....crunchy ah? :p:p

you'll get sian when eat the same thing every morning also.

IMO, i absolutely love salmon sashimi with bread...or biscuits. some light butter or olive oil on it would be perfect. no need to cook, oil, wash, etc...

u make breaky for everyone in ya fam?

di0nysus said:
u eat salmon with frozen peas? hmm....crunchy ah? :p:p

you'll get sian when eat the same thing every morning also.

IMO, i absolutely love salmon sashimi with bread...or biscuits. some light butter or olive oil on it would be perfect. no need to cook, oil, wash, etc...

u make breaky for everyone in ya fam?

Oh! i meant those packed frozen peas from NTUC, which i must boil or microwave them.

i love sashimi also, but eating it every morning is way too expensive! Hehe...

And i don't make breakfast for my family, because everybody wake up at different timings. However i do make dinner for everybody quite often. I love to cook.

gundugundu said:
Can try squeezing some lemon when u marinate the fish :)

Thank you! I'm trying to tackle the garlic issue... I still don't know what to use instead.

behyx said:
I'm a huge meat lover, i love chicken, pork, beef! And what's worse is, i love greasy food.

But for breakfast, 90% of the year everyone in the family eat only bread. I've been eating bread for breakfast since very young, and i'm terribly sick of it! Most of the time i rather skip breakfast and get an early lunch - which is very unhealthy.

So i have a suggestion for myself. As I always love salmon because they are healthy (with rich omega 3) and taste really good, i intend to make my every breakfast a fillet of salmon. Just 160-180g of it, along with some frozen peas and i'll be contented :) Overall cost will be less than S$4 a morning, which is around the cost of a Macdonalds big breakfast; and most importantly, it's much more healthy! On top of it, i brew my own Swedish tea every morning, so i have a complete meal this way.

However i have a problem. As I really like baked salmon with chopped garlic and parsley sprinkle on top, it seems unfavourable to have garlic so early in the morning, as there will be a certain smell in the mouth and also when i perspire. So is there anything to substitute it? Or even better, what can be used to tackle the smell? hehe :)

What is "Swedish tea"?

Salmon and cream cheese is a good combination, especially if you can eat it on a bagel

think every morning u just slice it, then eat with wasabi better... simplest way already...

or cut into even smaller slice, then mix into cereals, like cornflakes, without milk, then u stir around, then become yu sheng... perhaps honey would be nice... i'd prefer coco crunch... *diarrhoea not my problem*

kahheng said:
What is "Swedish tea"?

Salmon and cream cheese is a good combination, especially if you can eat it on a bagel

Oh, when i was in Sweden half a year ago, i bought a lot of tea leaves back, so i have stocks that can last me for probably 1 year. Haha!

Actually i don't like cheese ;p

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
think every morning u just slice it, then eat with wasabi better... simplest way already...

or cut into even smaller slice, then mix into cereals, like cornflakes, without milk, then u stir around, then become yu sheng... perhaps honey would be nice... i'd prefer coco crunch... *diarrhoea not my problem*

Haha! creative eh? raw or smoked salmon is out of talk for me. Hehe...

perhaps, you could vary your diet by introducing more vegetables progressively and in its place, less meat.

kahheng said:
What is "Swedish tea"?

I think the cream cheese and bagel works better if the salmon were smoked.

I think the easiest and simplest would be kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and butter. You could also add a sprig of rosemary.

Grill the salmon on some tin foil.

Funny :D:D:D

When I'm in Singapore or Malaysia I do not mind eating 'hot' dishes in the morning, but I'd rather have some fresh baked bread. Eating rice and meat every morning is not my kinda bullride. But in some hotels they have such bad breakfasts, I sometimes am forced to eat warm meals.

There were, however, hotels where I experienced the best breakfasts. For example, at Swiss Garden Kuantan, they had fresh baked thick slices of bread. Not the crummy white pieces, but real bread, like we have here in Holland. Add to that a nice slice of cheese with some eggs, and my morning couldn't start better. I also had great breakfasts at the Royal Plaza on Scotts hotel in Singapore, though I cannot remember anymore if the bread itself was good enough. The pancakes were...

Anyways, here in the Netherlands breakfasts are quite different then in Asia. Besides the fact the bread is better (because it's far more nutriciant, not white but darker), we have way more things to put on it in the morning. And I'm not talking about jelly, coconut paste or peanut butter, but a lot of good stuff to put on there. You could perhaps compare it a bit to the sandwhiches they sell at the coffee bean which are great btw for us dutchies as breakfast :)....

Anyways, not really an answer to your question, but I thought I would enlighten you guys with the ways I eat my breakfast hahahahahaha :D

hondasleeper said:
I think the cream cheese and bagel works better if the salmon were smoked.

I think the easiest and simplest would be kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and butter. You could also add a sprig of rosemary.

Grill the salmon on some tin foil.

Good idea! I never thought of using rosemary. But what is kosher salt :dunno:

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
then wat kinda salmon u having? hmm... :think:

Those salmon i buy from NTUC and bake them loh! hehe...

i just wonder what kind of salmon are carried by supermarkets.. there's the wild kind, and reared kind.

a contradiction. 'i love greasy food', but you 'always love salmon because they are healthy'. it is more like you eat whatever you like, regardless of their health promoting properties.

behyx said:

reachme2003 said:
a contradiction. 'i love greasy food', but you 'always love salmon because they are healthy'. it is more like you eat whatever you like, regardless of their health promoting properties.

i think it also arised when he wanted to grill it... :bsmilie:

think the best way is to eat it raw... ;)

reachme2003 said:

hehe, well, true i love greasy food like char kuey tiao, fried oyster omelette and many mor food. And i like salmon not only because they're rich in Omega3, they are also very delicious! And now i'm in my early 20s, i'll tend to watch what i eat, because i don't want serious health complications in my 40s...

Status
Not open for further replies.