Suggestions for camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

titania

Sep 13, 2009
Hiya

I dont know much about cameras so would like some suggestions. I am looking for DSLR or a semi-pro camera, which takes good quality pictures. 2 main features I am looking for is that it takes good pics:
1. at night.
2. also when you zoom in.
My budget is around $1000. I am not sure what brand or model is good. Would appreciate if someone could tell me what is a best buy.

Thanks!

T

theres these magical people called shop salesmen that are paid to answer these questions :p
and best thing is... its free to ask! :D

Cannot trust salesman 1... last time my friend wanted a good nightshot camera, salesman introed her to a casio exilim. Another got the panasonic range, asked me why her nightshots looks like watercolor.

On top of our advices here you can also look at cam reviews like steves-digicams.com or dpreview.com etc narrow down your choices and ask us.

Last edited:
normally if u ask a canon person, they would recommend u canon cam....if u ask a nikon person, they would do the same.

so i guess it would be best if u do some research on ur own first lor...:)

with a budget of 1k....hmm....abit tight for DSLR...prosumer shld be easy..:think:

theres these magical people called shop salesmen that are paid to answer these questions :p
and best thing is... its free to ask! :D

Well, I want suggestions from ppl who have actually used the camera, not a sales person - most of them they dont know what they are selling.

If you are not going for the latest release, 1K can cover those beginners dSLR. iso1600 is not a problem.

Prosumer so far cannot meet requirement for iso1600.

Cannot trust salesman 1... last time my friend wanted a good nightshot camera, salesman introed her to a casio exilim. Another got the panasonic range, asked me why her nightshots looks like watercolor.

On top of our advices here you can also look at cam reviews like steves-digicams.com or dpreview.com etc narrow down your choices and ask us.

Any brands you recommend I look at?

Well, I want suggestions from ppl who have actually used the camera, not a sales person - most of them they dont know what they are selling.

then cannot trust the shop right? :p

either way you need to get way more specific mate
any camera can take good pictures at night and "zoomed" in the right hands...
the better thing to do would be to do a little independent research then come back here when you have narrowed it down to about 2-3 cameras, then you can make another thread and join the 309284230483243 ones that say 'which camera " " or " " haha

Any brands you recommend I look at?

Go to dpreview, check the entry level range (e.g. Canon 1000D, fits your budget) and check the comparison in ISO with other models / brands. Dpreview will group them accordingly. This will give you an idea about the low light image quality. All cameras will do well in normal daylight.
Your "zoom" depends on the lens. DSLR has no zoom factor, here only the focal length in Millimeters counts. The kit lenses usually cover the range of 18 to 55mm - the most useful range for normal photography.
In addition, there are more factors that define the image quality of "at night, zoomed in". The camera is a tool, you are in charge / control. Without knowledge you can't achieve good results.

Thanks, to all.

If you're serious about night landscape photography, a good tripod is indispensable.

Status
Not open for further replies.