Suggestions for a starter Medium Format 6x7 kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

akdwivedi

Apr 27, 2003
Singapore
Hi

I am thinking of trying a bot of Medium format 6x7 photography.. I need suggestions for a good (cheap) 6x7 starter kit..

What is the best place (besides CS) to look for 6x7 equipment..

thanks in advance
Andy

akdwivedi said:
Hi

I am thinking of trying a bot of Medium format 6x7 photography.. I need suggestions for a good (cheap) 6x7 starter kit..

thanks in advance
Andy

are u looking for range-finder type of 6x7 MF camera or the waist-level finder type of MF camera? for either types, the more reputable choices are from pentax and mamiya, i guess. u can read more abt the cameras from here.

http://www.camerareview.com/

every now and then, someone will post a mamiya RB67 or RZ67 set for sale. there's even 1-2 mamiya 7/7ii i've seen here. if u want, can always wait. if not, the 2 places i can think of dat carries 6x7 cameras are either TCW or P&G (over at adelphi, basement). :)

Hey....
do i sense another MF little gathering at BK soon?

anyway here's someone looking to sell a Mamiya RB
http://forum.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=170700

have fun!

akdwivedi said:
Hi

thanks in advance
Andy

Personally, i think the mamiya 7 is a great camera! About the size of a 1 series camera and with a super silent shutter and AE.

The RB is cheaper, but is a beast to carry about.

The mamiya 7 shutter is amazing, most likely you will never realize it has trip. But the only detractment is of course the focusing which can be a hit or miss with rangefinder if your subject is not centered and shooting at full aperture.

thanks for your suggestions.. It appears the Mamiya is the favourite.. I did read some reviews about Pentax 6x7 and except for weight, it has good reviews..

Mamiya seems to have a few options - the RB/RZ series and the rangefinder series.. That confuses me again.. Is the rangefinder better than RB/RZ series cams.. If yes, in what sense..

besides the bodies, are the lenses for the two comparable in terms of quality, build, weight and off course price..

thanks again,,

akdwivedi said:
thanks for your suggestions.. It appears the Mamiya is the favourite.. I did read some reviews about Pentax 6x7 and except for weight, it has good reviews..

Mamiya seems to have a few options - the RB/RZ series and the rangefinder series.. That confuses me again.. Is the rangefinder better than RB/RZ series cams.. If yes, in what sense..

besides the bodies, are the lenses for the two comparable in terms of quality, build, weight and off course price..

thanks again,,

both mamiya and pentax are in this line for ages and have produced fine cameras. either choice u eventually buy will be equally good. :)

rangefinder is not say better or worse than the waist-level cameras. the mamiya 7/7ii operates almost like an over-sized SLR. depends on wats ur preference, actually. IIRC, the mamiya 7/7ii has a built-in meter? if so, this will greatly help u in ur shooting as u might not need to carry a hand-held lightmeter. for waist-level cameras, there are options to have a TTL eye-level viewer/meter attachment. but it costs quite a fair bit.

6x7 cameras are a little heavy, hor. so, be prepared to get a sturdy tripod. :sweat:

Main consideration between the SLR (RB/RZ) and the rangefinder (7/7ii) is whether you will be carrying the camera often. The RB/RZ is a beast, bigger than hasselblad. You probably will not want to handheld the camera or carry it up the hill.

Also the Mamiya 7 really does not have a potrait lens per se. The 150mm lens it uses has a minimum distance of 2m I believe, it may not be close enough for you.

I have the mamiya 7II,the range of lens they have can't focus close enough to get a good head/shoulder shoot,but is very good lens(The 150),the 210 do not couple to the focusing mechanisim of the camera,is a hit and miss for the lens,and maximum aperture is f8,mainly for landscape.

It is a very good bring arround camera,changing film is slow.

after trying out various medium format systems over the years, i would still suggest a hasselblad 500 series with a couple of lenses and film backs. being a purely mechanical system, you really have the chance to use all your skills to prepare the camera to take then picture that you so carefully compose. i've tried the rollei 6008, mamiya 6 RF, mamiya RB67, etc. but am still convince the hasselblad 500CM or 500CXi or 500CW are really the most enjoyable to use. there are some hasselblad equipment in extremely good condition and very reasonably priced in the second-hand market.
my system comprises a 500CXi body, a CF T*80mm/2.8 Planar, CF T*180mm/4.0 Sonnar, a 903SWC body with a permanently mounted CF T*38mm/3.5 Biogon, with 4 interchangeable A12 backs. this system has been serving me well over the years.
br/fred

Hassel price have go up so much this two years,I remember I bought my A12 for RM2K about 2 1/2 years ago,now it cost RM3.2K,one of my friend bought his 903 for RM 12K about 7 years ago,now 2nd goes up to 20K,I also bought my PME45 for S$2200 2 years ago,now about S$3K.

Now Hassel and leica is not easily access by a normal salary man,a set of camera can easily go beyond 10K

Bro, if you want to get a medium format outfit, a good start would be the RB67. This bugger chut mia in the medium format 6x7 range of cameras. Down-sides is that it is a little bulky. But it is steady. Don't worry about the camera not having an in-built light metre. Any decent photographer carries a light metre, so it will only be a metter of time before you get one anyway.
If you're interested, I have a spare one that I hardly use sitting in my dry box. Comes with a 90mm Mamiya lens and 120 film back. PM me.

sabrewolf said:
Sf kang, the system you have currently no doubt cost a wallop, might not be best to tempt someone new to MF hehehehe

hahaha... its the dream system for anyone into MF, as with leica for 35mm. ;p

the 'cheaper' alternative for 6x6 is to get the 'Hasslebladski' - aka the Kiev 88/88CM system. its based on the ancient Hasselblad 1600F camera system. u can pretty much assemble a decent 6x6 system (1 WA, 1 normal and 1 tele lenses, 2 film backs, 1 eye-level TTL prism and body) for abt $1000. the 88CM is the updated version, and more reliable version, of the Kiev 88-series. :)

anyway, for the mamiya 67-series, the body is really heavy. i've a fren who bought this system. now, he's not small-sized chap... but, even he struggled to hand-hold it. :sweat: then again, i do love the rotating film backs for the mamiyas.

Well if anyone looking for a valve for money medium format. I have a few Hasselblad, Rollei TLR, one Bronica ETRSi and one Mamiya RZ67 ProII set for sale. Interested parties call me at: 9006 4997

Personally, I think Pentax 67 is a charm to use (if you don't mind the weight).

Because I have accustomed to the SLR Camera in 35mm... Pentax 67 just like another 35mm SLR body on Steroid...

Its big and chuncky, but I think it is one of the cheapest 67 system available. Though, it may not as good as Hassie or Rollei... it is pretty darn good for most application.

I used to have RB67 but I find Pentax 67 is easier to work with....

Of course this only represent my own personal opinion...

Hart

Here are some pointers that hopefully help you decide which system to go for:
Most people go into MF for the higher resolution and greater detail afforded by the larger film format, 6X4.5 or 6X6 or 6X7

Choose 6X6 and you never have to worry about portrait or landscape - capture the image first, then decide if you will present it in portrait or landscape or square.

Next is to decide if you wish to change different films mid-roll [before finishing the roll]. If so, then choose the system camera that allows interchangeable backs.

Next, decide if you want interchangeable lenses.

Because of these above reasons, I prefer to go for system cameras such as Hassy 500 Series type. Even though they cost more, you can actually take your time to build up the system, i.e. buy a good body with a lens and a couple of backs to start, and then add on slowly. In the long run, it's a much better system.

br/porcupine

Is there anywhere I can rent a MF camera (and a couple of lenses) for a day. I have always wanted to try an MF system and see the results, but it is way too expensive for me to even think of buying one.

On that subject, does it make sense to buy a used rolleicord. Or is the condition going to be so bad that there is no point even trying.

Thanks.

nmk said:
Is there anywhere I can rent a MF camera (and a couple of lenses) for a day. I have always wanted to try an MF system and see the results, but it is way too expensive for me to even think of buying one.

On that subject, does it make sense to buy a used rolleicord. Or is the condition going to be so bad that there is no point even trying.

Thanks.

expensive? really?

intro to MF photography - u can always try a Holga 120? our very dependable perly is selling them in Consumer sub-forum for ard $80.
http://perlyinc.com/store/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=7d284d0ea82d5adfbd4167d51049596b

else, can always scour ebay for a russian Lubitel 166U? inclusive of shipping, shldn't come to more than $150 ... about the same price as a 2nd-hand 50mm/f1.8 lens (from any brand).

these cameras are abt as cheap as u can get for an intro to MF photography. yeah.. sure. their image sharpness is not all there. however, dat wat makes it fun to use and they have a cult-following both locally and overseas.

u want something better? then a $300+ seagull TLR camera will do just as well. $600+ will get u kahheng's complete setup of Mamiya 645AE, currently on sale in Buy/Sell. $1200 will get u a Pentax 645N in Buy/Sell. ard $2000 will get u a hasslebald 500CM in Buy/Sell too.

bottom line? its a myth that MF cameras are an expensive proposition, especially if u get them 2nd-hand. its no more expensive than ur average prosumers or mid-level DSLRs.... and most of the time, u're getting a complete setup of lenses and film backs. for similarly priced DSLRs, u'll be lucky if the seller throws in a kit lens. not to mention, under proper treatment of the negatives, u'll get pics with resolution and details that will blow any entry or mid-level DSLRs out of the water.

if u looking for rentals, here's one.
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=174312

Status
Not open for further replies.