Suggestion to shoot at "Homes"

Status
Not open for further replies.

denis

Feb 24, 2004
I'm interested in shooting those "Homes" old folks, disable and childern home, perhaps the singapore association of deaf or blind.

the motive is do a photo essay to tell the others hows their live in the home, how to live like Us a normal person. etc.

but the problem is which home to go, if i decided which one to go. there's alot home for each.

how do i apporach them and the "manager" to allow us to go shoot abt their live?
perhaps hw do us interact with them when we're going to take a photo on them & ask questions?

currently there are 4 people who are interested in going. definitely it would be a small group.

regrads
denis

denis said:
I'm interested in shooting those "Homes" old folks, disable and childern home, perhaps the singapore association of deaf or blind.
the motive is do a photo essay to tell the others hows their live in the home, how to live like Us a normal person. etc.
but the problem is which home to go, if i decided which one to go. there's alot home for each.
how do i apporach them and the "manager" to allow us to go shoot abt their live?
perhaps hw do us interact with them when we're going to take a photo on them & ask questions?

currently there are 4 people who are interested in going. definitely it would be a small group.

regrads
denis

1st of all, you have to make up your mind what will be the theme you plan to do? Don't be too greedy since this is your 1st try. It is important that you build a good relationship with the folks there. Why don't you mix around with them 1st?

In addition, you have to take care of whether the equipments you brought will be intimidating to them. Will they be comfortable to allow you to take picutre?
Let the management and the folks be comfortable with you. You might be able to proceed from there. ;)

thks scanner for the advice, The problem we are having now is that we dont know which homes and who to approach. Any idea how?? :dunno:

what i have in mind is , take their live in the home, what they always do that most of us don't always see. how sad/happy/boring they are. theme will be "life in ... home" is it okie like that ?

okie! i'll go down and have a chat with them make them comfortable with me, and i'm confirtable with them. thanks scanner!

i'll take whatever pointer that you've note in to consideration.

cheers,
denis

All you have to do is to write in to the homes themselves to ask for permission. But very often they are sesitive to the photos you take. You may need to show them the photos you have and ask if they are ok with them.
I had a friend who shot some really strong pictures, but at the end, the home didn't like them and requested that he handed in all the slides he took.

Some of the pohtos were poetically sad, but I guess thats the truth of the matter. He had this shot of and old lady staring at an empty stage with the stage curtain pulled 3/4 way across.

Man that you could feel that shot shouting to you the despreate loneliness.
Her life nearing end, having no one beiside to share her final moments.

kenneth76 said:
All you have to do is to write in to the homes themselves to ask for permission. But very often they are sesitive to the photos you take. You may need to show them the photos you have and ask if they are ok with them.
I had a friend who shot some really strong pictures, but at the end, the home didn't like them and requested that he handed in all the slides he took.

Some of the pohtos were poetically sad, but I guess thats the truth of the matter. He had this shot of and old lady staring at an empty stage with the stage curtain pulled 3/4 way across.

that does sound very powerful , what a pity that they won't let the pictures be published.

Thanks kenneth76. i have a picture abt the pics that you're saying. yeah is sad but there's a story behind it, that's why we need to capture it, and let out suddering know what's happening in the home. then again, talk is easy.

we need not to publish the photos, all we need to do is just to photo essay and show our parents and reletives etc. maybe make an outing to the home, to cure their lonliness, or perhaps donate some $ to the home, no need much alittle here and there = Alot.

i'll go down the homes personally, but i don't know which home to go. visit them & talk to them to gain some confort with them.

thanks for you info anyway.

regrads,
denis

kenneth76 said:

Yes, what kenneth76 mentioned is true, but as what I've said, it depends on how you protrayed and convinced them about what you guys planning to do.

Anyway, I've an articule which I think would be very useful to you guys. Click Here.

Go through the pics, the photographer did a great job. The pictures with the captions made the whole story very touching. It is a meaningful project -> It reminds the society that there are a group of unfortunate ppls around.

scanner said:
Yes, what kenneth76 mentioned is true, but as what I've said, it depends on how you protrayed and convinced them about what you guys planning to do.

Anyway, I've an articule which I think would be very useful to you guys. Click Here.

Go through the pics, the photographer did a great job. The pictures with the captions made the whole story very touching. It is a meaningful project -> It reminds the society that there are a group of unfortunate ppls around.
man those pics is TOuching! i'll try my best to talk to them. look at the pics of the lonley ah ma with a soft toys. *sigh. just feel sad.

where would us be in our 80s? :think:

scaner, I also often visit cameraunion, a lot of great pics there :)
denis, how about disable and blind children home? maybe it will be easier to get permission to shoot children and less sensitive.

best that u keep the group small, ard 5 pple max.

Pple who want to volunteer themselves, by all means go ahead, but the number of photohraphers should be kept small.

If fact denis, if u need anyone to help out on that day, I will leave my cameras at home, and just bring my heart. :) And i'm sure many others here will do the same.

hmmm...i got an idea...count me in on this one...coz i still very involved in my sec school scouts...they got lots of contacts wif homes..perhaps we can get an introduction..u guys interested pm me i go check wif my scout boss....

anyway if we get to the manager we will know which of the old folks we can photog or which one we cant....relax,,,

but i agree it has to be a small group...
Cant have everyone taking one elderly..
not very nice..
Anyway so who's in??..

chongqi said:
scaner, I also often visit cameraunion, a lot of great pics there :)
denis, how about disable and blind children home? maybe it will be easier to get permission to shoot children and less sensitive.
yeah, any house for me will do. i suppose others too.

foxtwo said:
best that u keep the group small, ard 5 pple max.

Pple who want to volunteer themselves, by all means go ahead, but the number of photohraphers should be kept small.

If fact denis, if u need anyone to help out on that day, I will leave my cameras at home, and just bring my heart. :) And i'm sure many others here will do the same.
5 or more ppl are welcome to the home, only 2 to 3 photog at time. others will just go there with your heart lilke foxtow. go there and play/chat spend time with them.

infact when i've confirm on which house to go, we'll (or some) go down, to have some time to spend with them, and gain some comfort with them.

maybe we should also share some $ to buy something for them to brighten their life ?

nicholaslee said:
I don't think it will be easy. Cause old people don't really like to be photographed.. serious
Indeed! they're kind of sensitive to camera. but in this world nothing would be easy. Give in your best, i'm sure one day they will let you shoot, for just once, because you've touch them by trying.

Witness said:
hmmm...i got an idea...count me in on this one...coz i still very involved in my sec school scouts...they got lots of contacts wif homes..perhaps we can get an introduction..u guys interested pm me i go check wif my scout boss....

anyway if we get to the manager we will know which of the old folks we can photog or which one we cant....relax,,,
sure, withness, you can look out for the contacts from the homes. then when you get the contacts, me & some others will just go down and talk to them (manager) too, spend times with those ppl too.

thanks alot

in....but need spec date first...haha....stuck in camp...today from 8 am till now no time to breathe....

Paperkurt said:
but i agree it has to be a small group...
Cant have everyone taking one elderly..
not very nice..
Anyway so who's in??..
yapz, for sure is a small grp of photographer Only, big group to go and play with them, mean time other who are not taking photos go there to just gain some trust and feeling with them.

can those ppl who are interested pls list down.

Status
Not open for further replies.