Suggestion of Tripod for travelling


Status
Not open for further replies.

Heineken

New Member
May 7, 2005
6
0
0
#1
Hi, pal
I am ganna travel for half of a month. which tripod is the best for travelling?
My budget is $300 below, including ball head.
Thanks a lot!:)
 

Heineken

New Member
May 7, 2005
6
0
0
#3
duckforce said:
what camera are you using?
D70 with 18-70MM lens, I think I will buy new lens 70-200MM.
Any suggestion?
Thanks !
 

NorthStar

New Member
Nov 29, 2005
59
0
0
#4
Can consider monopod, cause most of the time, you don't have time / space to set up a tripod. A monopod with a ball head will serve you most of the time, except perhaps the long-exposure night shots (more than a few seconds type...). It is easier to carry than a tripod, and can also serves as a walking stick...:)

BTW, some tripod has "detachable" leg that can work as a monopod... check it out.

You can get some tips for using monopod here: http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3

Hope this helps.
 

Heineken

New Member
May 7, 2005
6
0
0
#6
Thanks you guys.
How about Manfrotto 055Pro and 484RC2 ? or Manfrotto 190Pro?
 

NorthStar

New Member
Nov 29, 2005
59
0
0
#7
For your setup, 190 is more than enough. Steady and not too heavy. If you do lots of walking, get a tripod bag. it really helps.:)
 

#8
To be honest, a 190PRO is too much to carry around. I have a 190 Classic with a 141RC head. Lugging this around while travelling is a real pain. U're better off getting those tripods with a built-in head and about 18-20 inch long. That's about 40-50cm in length. And also those that can be raised up to about 160cm. That is the perfect travelling tripod for me.
 

jnet6

Senior Member
Apr 21, 2004
8,179
0
36
not here often anymore
#9
Seeto said:
To be honest, a 190PRO is too much to carry around. I have a 190 Classic with a 141RC head. Lugging this around while travelling is a real pain. U're better off getting those tripods with a built-in head and about 18-20 inch long. That's about 40-50cm in length. And also those that can be raised up to about 160cm. That is the perfect travelling tripod for me.
there is always a option of Carbon fiber tripod.
Choices are there... just that is the price. :)
 

#10
Heineken's budget is $300. I'm not sure if u can get a carbon tripod at that price. Manfrotto just came out with a magnisium/carbon composite tripod. not sure how much that's selling though.... I saw this really neat Slik tripod when I was in the UK and it's really versatile... too bad that's not selling in sg...
 

Heineken

New Member
May 7, 2005
6
0
0
#11
Seeto said:
To be honest, a 190PRO is too much to carry around. I have a 190 Classic with a 141RC head. Lugging this around while travelling is a real pain. U're better off getting those tripods with a built-in head and about 18-20 inch long. That's about 40-50cm in length. And also those that can be raised up to about 160cm. That is the perfect travelling tripod for me.
Thank you for your suggestion!
Could do recommend a brand and model for me? and price?
cheers
 

#12
Heineken said:
Thank you for your suggestion!
Could do recommend a brand and model for me? and price?
cheers
What seeto said is true the 190pro I have is very heavy if you have to walk a distant.
Go cathay and check all the tripod there but do not buy 1st. :thumbsup:

Check with jack006 pricing on CF tripod MO pricing. :)

EDIT: add the link here
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=187009

I do not know what ball head you are using? :dunno:
 

Heineken

New Member
May 7, 2005
6
0
0
#13
longkangman said:
What seeto said is true the 190pro I have is very heavy if you have to walk a distant.
Go cathay and check all the tripod there but do not buy 1st. :thumbsup:

Check with jack006 pricing on CF tripod MO pricing. :)

EDIT: add the link here
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=187009

I do not know what ball head you are using? :dunno:
I dont have any ball head. wanna buy tripod and ball head all together
 

Frijj

New Member
May 1, 2006
999
0
0
#15
Get the Slik Sprint Pro GM, it's more than sturdy for your set-up.

It's within your budget ($88 from MS Color -comes with ball head that can be changed if you want a better one in the future) and sturdy enough for your set-up. The tripod and original ball head weighs about 890g.

If you want to change to a better ballhead, you can try this tripod with the Manfrotto 484 RC2 ball head. This will bump the set-up to about 1kg and will add $70 to the price.

All still within your budget.
 

Heineken

New Member
May 7, 2005
6
0
0
#17
Frijj said:
Get the Slik Sprint Pro GM, it's more than sturdy for your set-up.

It's within your budget ($88 from MS Color -comes with ball head that can be changed if you want a better one in the future) and sturdy enough for your set-up. The tripod and original ball head weighs about 890g.

If you want to change to a better ballhead, you can try this tripod with the Manfrotto 484 RC2 ball head. This will bump the set-up to about 1kg and will add $70 to the price.

All still within your budget.
Thanks pal! I think this is a good choice:thumbsup:
 

Jul 19, 2005
474
0
16
36
Toa Payoh
#18
:bsmilie: even gitzo 1228 i also feel very heavy and never bring it out of my home. but only use at home.

no need tripod in daytime if you do not what special effects

those very very cheap alumni tripod made in china as the free gifts come with the camera or videocam is much much lighter than the 700-1000 buck tripod, but you must use remote control to take picture and you must have that attention to protect your camera if it tends to drop (but won't happen so easily). i think it is not a problem for your camera and lens to get a very very cheap tripod.

for travelling purpose, if it is under 50 bucks, the cheaper the better. if it is above 600 bucks, then you need also one 400-600 ballheader, not worth to buy them for your camera.

forget to mention, the tripod plate for the very very cheap alumni tripod must need some DIY job, otherwise your camera is very easy to be scratched. my only travelling tripod is one of the free tripod come with my SONY videocam. so light~~~~, so slim~~~~, so easy to use ~~~~~. but must be careful :p
 

Frijj

New Member
May 1, 2006
999
0
0
#19
Heineken said:
Thanks pal! I think this is a good choice:thumbsup:
No Prob.

Just a note, the provided ballhead is really tiny, so you might need to turn the screw of the the little ball head really tight even with with just the D70 and the 18-70mm lens. But it's not a real big problem (since you will get used to it and will kow how to adjust accordingly).

The thing that drove me to change the ballhead is the lack of quick release. Both 'problems' quickly solved by changing to the Manfrotto.

Little_Zeus's suggestion is quite good actually (if you're on a tight budget). If you think you're not going to use the tripod much and all you'll be using if for is to take pics of yourself(if u're travelling alone) or the very occasional landscape and want to save some money and weight just use the free tripods. Those things are extremely light (<500g and even comes with pan head and quick release plate).
But be very, very careful with them. They're not stable at all. I wouldn't recommend using if there's if there's any wind or even breeze.
The last thing you want is to be standing 5 feet away, grinning like a fool, while your $2000 worth of gear crashes to the floor because of a breeze.

And yes, use a remote cable/wireless remote/timer at all times (I'd say the same when using light tripods). :)
 

honda

New Member
Nov 30, 2004
558
0
0
#20
is it possible to weigh down the very flimsy lightweight cheapo tripod with the camera bag so that it will not topple when the wind blows? i m thinking of getting a cheapo one eg 30 dollars.http://singaporephoto.blogspot.com
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom