Suggestion for photo critique....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpenza

Jan 18, 2002
Singapore
www.instagram.com
Do you think it would be good to rate the photos like photo.net for Originality and Aesthetics in addition to comments?

That will be great

Hi,

I have one more suggestion regarding the critique section.

More than often, members will neglect the rule about posting only 1 picture. Instead of sending reminder posts (Darren has been doing that relentlessly), can the site be modified such that it is not possible to attach more than 1 image link when posting in the critiques forum?

Thanks!

Roy

Originally posted by roygoh
Hi,

I have one more suggestion regarding the critique section.

More than often, members will neglect the rule about posting only 1 picture. Instead of sending reminder posts (Darren has been doing that relentlessly), can the site be modified such that it is not possible to attach more than 1 image link when posting in the critiques forum?

Thanks!

Roy

Looking into it at the moment. I think some custom coding would have to be done though.

For critique and rating of photo, it should not be edited by any software. It should be original from the DC. That's what I think......

I'm not too keen about copying ideas from photo.net. Furthermore, it promotes a kind of oneupmanship game (ie My photo was better rated than yours, etc). It can go to ridiculous lengths, like people registering a 2nd or 3rd nick and giving 10/10 just to push the numbers up.

So, all in all, I feel it's not necessary. After all, the purpose of a critique is for people to TELL you what's good or bad about your photo, not a bunch of useless numbers.

Originally posted by LifeWorld
For critique and rating of photo, it should not be edited by any software. It should be original from the DC. That's what I think......

Good point; but how can we ensure that? Edit? How about minor adjustments like sharpening and such? Can we leave it to the integrity of the contributor?

Originally posted by LifeWorld

I beg to differ, because in the first place, your DC will do some form of "editting" for you already, unless you shoot in RAW (which not everyone has the fortune to do so).

Critique should be targeted towards the composition, idea, aesthetic appeal, sharpness, exposure etc. We should judge a photo by the owner's intention, not what the owner can produce raw from the camera.

If we require raw images, there is a potential danger that we start commenting on quality instead, and that is dependant on the camera, not the photographer.

Even for film, saturation and colours are partly decided by the brand and type of film used, and is hardly "raw" from the camera.

So my POV is to let the creativity of the photographer decide how his image will be, and let the others critique on that. :)

I agree with Tweek also.

Maybe we can encourage the photographer to voluntarily list the processing done on the picture posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.