Suggestion for Filter

myojo

Feb 4, 2010
Hi i never use the filters except the soft focus for taking portrait.
now, i am into the landscape shooting with sunset and sunrise kind of things.
So, i dont know what type and how many filters should i have as a minimum for landscape shooting.
i found it difficult to shoot directly to sunshine without any filter either sunset or sunrise.
i went to shop last weekend and dont know what to choose as there are so many types.
Can anyone advise?
Thank you

depends on the light and situation.

but generally, i advise only buying filters whose effect you cannot replicate in photoshop.

gnd, nd, and cpl.

Basically, u need the following;

CPL - primarily cut/reduce reflections and saturate skies

ND - For long exposure in daylight conditions, esp pertaining to seascape where most desired that creamy, smooth water effect. - comes in strength of ND2/4/8 (0.3/0.6/0.9) stops [1,2,3 stops] or extreme ones like ND110 (10 stops) or ND400 (9 Stops)

GND - Graduated ND, Where the top half of the filter is grey/dense graduately clear to the bottom half. To suppress overexposure in the sky to exposure both subjects/foreground/backgrounds correctly. Likewise as ND, it comes in strength of ND2/4/8 (0.3/0.6/0.9) stops [1,2,3 stops] also.

HTH :)

depends on the light and situation.

but generally, i advise only buying filters whose effect you cannot replicate in photoshop.

gnd, nd, and cpl.

Thank you for your advice.

Basically, u need the following;

CPL - primarily cut/reduce reflections and saturate skies

ND - For long exposure in daylight conditions, esp pertaining to seascape where most desired that creamy, smooth water effect. - comes in strength of ND2/4/8 (0.3/0.6/0.9) stops [1,2,3 stops] or extreme ones like ND110 (10 stops) or ND400 (9 Stops)

GND - Graduated ND, Where the top half of the filter is grey/dense graduately clear to the bottom half. To suppress overexposure in the sky to exposure both subjects/foreground/backgrounds correctly. Likewise as ND, it comes in strength of ND2/4/8 (0.3/0.6/0.9) stops [1,2,3 stops] also.

HTH :)

Hi.. Thanks for your advice and explanation.
can i ask any advice for which brand or type should i buy for those must have one.
i saw some with something like adapter ring and different filters.
some are like individual filter.
any advice what should i look for if my budget is not more than 400 for CPL and GND filters?
Thanks in advance

Why not just shoot more first and then save up your money until you can figure out what you want? Generally, other than the protector filter, you don't really need any filter when starting out.

I try to learn from the shifus here and then I see what I need, then I buy. e.g. for portraiture in full sunlight, I maxed out my shutter speed (1/4000s) in the noon sun, so an ND8 helps by reducing 3 stops of light for me to still be able to take photos.

But in order to "stop" water, I needed an ND110.

Filters are not cheap either and depending on the size you need (have you decided why filter will go with which lens?), the prices of these filters can be quite high.