Suggestion for a Digicam


Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mriz

Guest
#1
Hi all, my newbie virgin post..... hehehe :D

i'm looking for a Digicam and would like to have some suggestion from u guys

some shots that i would like to take
1. children (action)
2. animals
3. scenery day/night

i'm leaning towards Oly 5050 but would to know of any other alternatives. I have a budget of 1.5k only :embrass:

thanks ins advence
 

Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
0
Singapore
#2
You've got to consider some other factors as well.

- what's the size you're gonna print?
a 2MP camera can print up to A4. 4R prints are pretty good.

- is zoom important?

- is the movie function important to you?
 

M

mriz

Guest
#3
Originally posted by imaginary_number
You've got to consider some other factors as well.

- what's the size you're gonna print?
a 2MP camera can print up to A4. 4R prints are pretty good.

- is zoom important?

- is the movie function important to you?
4MP camera would be nice. 3MP can do
zoom is a must, at least 3x optical
movie function - good to have but not necessary :)

Oly 5050 have pretty much all the functions i want. I'm looking for contenders for my considerations

thanks
 

Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
0
Singapore
#4
Originally posted by mriz


4MP camera would be nice. 3MP can do
zoom is a must, at least 3x optical
movie function - good to have but not necessary :)

Oly 5050 have pretty much all the functions i want. I'm looking for contenders for my considerations

thanks
5050 is indeed a good cam but if you don't need the 5 mp or f1.8 lens, then the 602z fits your requirements better.

You can read our own user opinions over here
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15293&highlight=review
 

fruitybix

New Member
Nov 1, 2002
484
0
0
West
Visit site
#5
The 602Z is indeed a very good camera. looking at your needs (taking children photo especially) you will need a fast camera, with fast processing, and very low shutter release lag. In this regard, the 602Z is the current leader...

However, think about getting the following accessories, in the short to long run:

SHORT TERM
Immediately get extra sets of batteries and a good charger ($100 should get you 3 sets of AAs and a decent charger)
Extra memory cards (at least 1 piece of 128MB)
Suitable camera bag (consider space for extra batteries)

LONG TERM
Tripod
External flash


At a budget of 1500, you have many choices. Perhaps a minimum of 3 megapixel (more than enuff for 4R prints as imaginary_number stated), at least 3X optical zoom, fast processing, and a hotshoe.

5 MP Contenders:
Sony DSC 717 (big, need basic photography skills to maximise potential, proprietary batteries, proprietary memory cards) ard. $1600
Nikon 5700 (currently hot-seller, may be tough to get at under 1500, propreitary batteries) ard. $1600
Oly 5050Z (currently cheapest among the other 2, use 4 AAs) ard. $1200

4 MP Contenders:
Canon G2/ G3 (similar to S45, except for swivel lens and hotshoe, however, focusing may not be as impressive as the Fuji 602Z, proprietary batteries) ard $900 (G2)-$1200(G3)
Canon S45 (very compact, processing quite impressive, good colours, bring everywhere, proprietary batteries, not hotshoe) ard $900

3 MP Contenders:
Finepix S602Z (fast, sharp, use 4 AAs) ard $1000
Canon S30 (slightly outdated, proprietary battery) ard &700
Nikon 885 (compact, sharp images, proprietary battery) ard $700


Personally, I will get a $1000 camera, and use the remaining money to buy accessories, which can be quite expensive in the long run.


:)
 

M

mriz

Guest
#6
thanks imaginary_number and fruitybix

just came back from having a hands on with those cameras, i must say now i'm in quite a dilemma....

i'm torn between the G3, C5050, S602Z and surprise, surprise, the E-10 which IMO looks so good...

now, the question is which to buy? :dunno:
 

Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
0
Singapore
#7
Originally posted by mriz
thanks imaginary_number and fruitybix

just came back from having a hands on with those cameras, i must say now i'm in quite a dilemma....

i'm torn between the G3, C5050, S602Z and surprise, surprise, the E-10 which IMO looks so good...

now, the question is which to buy? :dunno:
All of them are pretty good cameras. E-10 is a little heavy (I heard) and the maximum shutter is 1/640s, which may or may not pose a problem to you.

If you want more zoom, and good movie mode at an affordable price, I'll say take the 602. :)
 

fruitybix

New Member
Nov 1, 2002
484
0
0
West
Visit site
#8
Originally posted by imaginary_number


All of them are pretty good cameras. E-10 is a little heavy (I heard) and the maximum shutter is 1/640s, which may or may not pose a problem to you.

If you want more zoom, and good movie mode at an affordable price, I'll say take the 602. :)
Indeed the E10 is a good camera. But also think about portability. For those occasional trips to the zoo, to the birdpark, overseas holidays, parties to attend, and children's concert etc, you could do well with a sharpshooter (602Z with big zoom and fast focusing) at about $1000.

While the Dimage 7Hi, the E10, and the Nikon 5700 are also very good, high resolution cameras, they are also 400-600 more expensive. Again, you could really maximised that amount for extra batteries, a good charger, high memory cards, and a tripod and flash all for only $200-250.

Incidentally this is the same amount you will definitely need to fork out for any camera you want to buy, accessories are an important consideration. So the Dimage 7Hi, 10, and Nikon 5700 plus accessories are going to cost at least $1800-1900.

Sellers will always try to sell you something that is the "best" camera in the world. But go in knowing your unique needs. Seems that for children photos and as a recreational shooter, the 602Z can be a serious consideration..

;)
 

Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
0
Singapore
#9
Originally posted by fruitybix


Indeed the E10 is a good camera. But also think about portability. For those occasional trips to the zoo, to the birdpark, overseas holidays, parties to attend, and children's concert etc, you could do well with a sharpshooter (602Z with big zoom and fast focusing) at about $1000.

While the Dimage 7Hi, the E10, and the Nikon 5700 are also very good, high resolution cameras, they are also 400-600 more expensive. Again, you could really maximised that amount for extra batteries, a good charger, high memory cards, and a tripod and flash all for only $200-250.

Incidentally this is the same amount you will definitely need to fork out for any camera you want to buy, accessories are an important consideration. So the Dimage 7Hi, 10, and Nikon 5700 plus accessories are going to cost at least $1800-1900.

Sellers will always try to sell you something that is the "best" camera in the world. But go in knowing your unique needs. Seems that for children photos and as a recreational shooter, the 602Z can be a serious consideration..

;)
Additionally, if you think beyond the cost factor, there also other issues like noise, focusing speed, shutter lag, battery life, which varies among the cameras.

5700, for example, doesn't have a focusing speed as fast as the 602z. Consequently, you might miss some shots b'coz of that.

Btw, even though the 602z sports a 3 MP CCD sensor, it's not your conventional CCD. The 6 MP output might not be as good as a true 6 MP output (or even a true 5 MP output for that matter), but it resolves as much detail as a 4 MP camera.

To put it simply, the 6 MP is not for viewing 1:1 but it produces great A3 printouts.
 

M

mriz

Guest
#10
thanks again guys... made up my mind. i'm going for the S602Z.
unless some other model catches my eyes... hehehe
;) what would be the other accessories to get with the cam besides the extra batteries?
 

Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
0
Singapore
#11
Originally posted by mriz
thanks again guys... made up my mind. i'm going for the S602Z.
unless some other model catches my eyes... hehehe
;) what would be the other accessories to get with the cam besides the extra batteries?
Good choice!;)

For a start, you might want to get a lens adaptor and a UV filter (to protect the lens). Next would be the storage (256 Mb CF), batteries and chargers, camera bag, etc.

You can check out this thread for 602z accessories:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15697
 

M

mriz

Guest
#15
:D just got the S602Z this evening at AP... :D
chenwei - arrrgh... got the adapter tube + UV together wif the camera at 2x your selling price.... :cry:
 

chenwei

New Member
Sep 6, 2002
1,315
0
0
Singapore
#16
Originally posted by mriz
:D just got the S602Z this evening at AP... :D
chenwei - arrrgh... got the adapter tube + UV together wif the camera at 2x your selling price.... :cry:
heh, since bought it just dun think so much...

seem like it's hard to get it sold... :cry:
 

Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
0
Singapore
#17
Originally posted by Wolfgang
Imaginary Number, Fruitybix...

Nicely done. :)

:thumbsup:
;)

Btw, mriz, let me introduce you to ClubSnap's official Fuji 602 promoter - Wolfgang :cool:

[ A P P L A U S E ] :D
 

Feb 3, 2002
1,741
0
0
Singapore
#19
Originally posted by acidboi
Yoz... As mentioned in the 4mp contenders, which one would you choose G2, G3, S45? Where would be the best place to get it? What is the best price?
If you're on a budget, G2. At this point, it's quite a good deal to get a second hand G2. Otherwise, the G3 is a better option.

You should only consider the S45 if portability is a very important factor to you. Additionally, you might want to take note that the S45 doesn't have a hot-shoe for an external flash, which will be important if you intend to do flash photography. Furthermore, you can't attach additional lenses (unless you get a special adaptor).
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom